WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 18th, 2012 at 4:44:04 PM permalink
Oscar Pistorius, a sprinter with prosthetic limbs
who was barred from competing in beijing in 2008,
has been approved to compete in London.
what do you guys think about this?

story on cnn
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 18th, 2012 at 4:56:27 PM permalink
I voted that he should race in the paraolympics. This would be like letting one, and only one, athlete use a trampoline in the high jump. For the same reason they don't allow wheelchairs in the (running) marathon, they shouldn't allow artificial devices that obviously result in a huge advantage.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 18th, 2012 at 5:03:36 PM permalink
The arguments about whether the prosthetics give an advantage are not as missing the point. It doesn't matter if they do, or just allow him to run. I thought the idea was that the 400m dash is a race to see who can get from point a to point b fastest, unaided. If person A had some sort of tool, then they aren't competing the same. The tool maybe the thing that allows them to compete -at all- but that's not the idea of the race.

Course, running shoes might be claimed to cancel that thought, as there probably is some sort of small advantage from good athletic spikes.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
megapixels
megapixels
  • Threads: 8
July 18th, 2012 at 5:16:01 PM permalink
I think there should be a separate race for prosthetics. Same Olympics, separate race.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 18th, 2012 at 6:27:53 PM permalink
I don't know if it will be this particular issue that trips them up. But some other device-aided athlete might.

It's gonna need a "*", in my opinion, if for instance he medaled. You couldn't just record a result and not mention the prosthetic.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
July 18th, 2012 at 7:20:12 PM permalink
I voted paralympics also. I'm happy for the guy that he has worked so hard and gets a shot... But there is no way this is fair
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 18th, 2012 at 7:22:15 PM permalink
Have you seen him run?

He's not that quick.
"What, me worry?"
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
July 18th, 2012 at 7:27:37 PM permalink
I have seen him run. He is not fast at all, compared to his competition. There is no chance he gets a medal but I just don't like what this does for future events. Somewhere along the way there will be more guys trying to get into the events with other disabilities and they might win.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 18th, 2012 at 8:32:36 PM permalink
I agree . Guys will just be getting their legs amputated all over the place, worse than steroids.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 18th, 2012 at 9:10:03 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Have you seen him run?

He's not that quick.

45.07s personal best isn't too bad, eh?

But it's not about his speed or otherwise. It's not if he's quick, or gets an advantage or has an hinderance. It's the race is getting your body around the track. If you allow one sort of prosthetic, what if the next does give a small advantage? Or it's not clear if it does? How do you tell?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 18th, 2012 at 9:17:31 PM permalink
Yes, we must keep the sanctity of the games or participants may use steroids someday. We did mail that American Indian his medals.
Not the IOC's fault he had the nerve to die 30 years before we got around to it. .
chefphydeaux
chefphydeaux
  • Threads: 1
July 18th, 2012 at 10:13:46 PM permalink
Slightly OT and definitely past it expiration date, but subject did come up last month at The US Open golf tourny. Casey Martin qualified to play and did. Quick refresher... He has a disease or condition that prohibits proper blood flow to one of his legs. He sued, and won, using the Americans with disabilities act to be able to use a golf cart. Case went to SCOTUS, and was ruled in his favor despite testimony from Arnie and Jack.

What were or are thoughts on that ? Advantage? disadvantage? Poor ruling? Good Ruling ?
WongBo
WongBo
July 18th, 2012 at 10:19:58 PM permalink
in the case of the golfer, i think it is unfair, unless the other players also have the option to use a cart.
i also do not think it is fair to let someone with titanium springs for legs run in the regular olympics.
most "handicapped" or "differently-abled" athletes are people
who are very driven to not let their handicap prevent them from success.
i think they should accept that certain limitations that may arise
do not call for them to get preferential treatment in competition.
they must know that if they win, it will be a controversial, tainted victory.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 19th, 2012 at 5:44:25 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

I agree . Guys will just be getting their legs amputated all over the place, worse than steroids.

I seriously doubt that people will amputate to get an athletic advantage.

The scenario raised by Michael Johnson, was what if someone who is a 43 second sprinter gets disabled in an accident. Then with new limbs he might be a 41 second runner. He feels that they are permitting Oscar Pistorius to race partly because no one expects him to medal.

It also could be argued that a future device that corrects for "flat feet" which are in over 25% of the population, might give someone an athletic advantage.
Flat feet disrupts the alignment of the leg and may result in injuries due to over-stressing of the knee and leg. Someone may be more susceptible to shin splints, back problems, and tendonitis in the knee. You could argue that the device is needed medically, but it could be designed to give an advantage.

FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
July 19th, 2012 at 6:20:29 AM permalink
There was a case of a sprinter with a prosthetic arm. I don't remember if he had an advantage, or disadvantage in the starting blocks. Either way, it's interesting because I'm totally fine with an arm amputee running in the olympics, but not a leg amputee. Obviously, as we get more advanced medically, this is only going to get more complicated.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 19th, 2012 at 6:55:39 AM permalink
Just wait until gene therapy gets going...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
July 19th, 2012 at 7:26:49 AM permalink
I voted that he competes in the paraolympics. There is a myriad of regulations about all the sports to keep athletes from gaining an advantage via a technological means. It is immaterial if he can win or not as someday, someone will be able to win with a similar advantage. What if an able body athlete wants to build springs that fit on his feet? If we want to go down this road we need a new bionic olympic games where anything goes. This could likely become the more popular games (think X games) and those lesser athletes that compete with only what God gave them will be in the follow-up games.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 19th, 2012 at 8:05:52 AM permalink
The forum, by a 15 - 1 margin as of now, realize that he should not be able to compete. I believe that there are wheelchair athletes who can 'outrun' able bodied athletes in long distance races, especially if they are relatively flat.

I would bet if the technology allowed Oscar to run a time substantially faster than the able bodied competitors, there is no way we would be having this discussion; he would not be allowed to compete.
WongBo
WongBo
July 19th, 2012 at 8:16:38 AM permalink
keep in mind, his best time was 45.07 which is only 1.89 seconds off the WORLD RECORD of 43.18.
and he recently shaved about 1.2 seconds off his time.
what if they develop a springier version of his prosthetics between now and Rio de Janeiro 2016?
will he be allowed to compete then? the precedent will have already been set by allowing him to compete this year.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 19th, 2012 at 8:36:52 AM permalink
Do the rules allow athletes to wear corrective lenses or to undergo lasik eye surgery to improve their vision for the shooting sports?

How about transgender surgery, changing a woman to a man?

Each of these procedures arguably "provides the user with an advantage over another athlete not using such a device."
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 19th, 2012 at 8:44:31 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I believe that there are wheelchair athletes who can 'outrun' able bodied athletes in long distance races, especially if they are relatively flat.

I'm quite sure that is true. That is why when they do both in the same marathon the "wheelchairs" start first, so they don't have to pass the runners. I put wheelchairs in quotes, because they are not like a chair, but look more like a recumbent bicycle.

Quote: MrV

How about transgender surgery, changing a woman to a man?

I'm going to tread very lightly here. I think that has been an issue before in past Olympics. As I was told by my sports appreciation (easy A) teacher at UCSB, the Olympics officials take a hair sample and whatever the DNA says your gender is determines what they go by.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
July 19th, 2012 at 8:46:16 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm going to tread very lightly here. I think that has been an issue before in past Olympics. As I was told by my sports appreciation (easy A) teacher at UCSB, the Olympics officials take a hair sample and whatever the DNA says your gender is determines what they go by.

Seems fair, I guess you are what your hair says you are...
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 19th, 2012 at 9:16:58 AM permalink
How about those littlel girls given drugs to postpone puberty so they can perform better in gymnastics.

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." The Olympic Motto

Anybody that believes that would eat a horseshit sandwich and swear it was better than prime rib !
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
July 19th, 2012 at 9:58:12 AM permalink
I'm no kinesiologist, but I have to believe prosthetic legs would certainly help tremendously for longer distances. If your lung capacity is the same as an able bodied person, all the oxygen and blood going to the feet and lower legs isn't necessary. So I would imagine, all of this saved oxygen and energy is beneficial for running say a 5K or 10K or even a marathon.

Anybody see that commercial about a high school kid that plays FOOTBALL with a prosthetic leg? How does that work? How does the thing stay on with all the constant hitting?
  • Jump to: