teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 37
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
November 20th, 2020 at 4:13:22 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I agree 100%. Just outstanding. I loved every second of it.

Nearly all of it. The speed that the games were played in almost every scene where they showed moves was absurd. As a tournament player and expert, every move I made was carefully written down, double checked, and only after I was fully satisfied did I move the piece. Other players followed similar double checks. Those who blitzed were following an intimidation strategy that almost always got punished.

Of course in time trouble, all hell would break loose. But this show makes it seem like top players blitzed out moves all the time. That never happens.

Oh, and they talk like 1800 is a good rating through multiple episodes. 1800 is class A, hardly grade school.

Other than that, fabulous. :)

But I have to add, I was in Athens Ohio in 1983 as a new young professor, and Athens was the home of the author of the book on which this show was based, Walter Tevis. I was an avid chess player back then and read the book in 1983 and loved it.

Just played in my first tournament in years last week ... finished 4th out of 13 in a field with masters and experts. My wife said I should get my game up to speed again. She has no idea what that takes. But still, I play games in my head in the middle of the night when I lay awake in bed. I've done that my whole life. Chess has been the one steady thing I have kept in my life, since age 5 when I first learned the rules.

Chess is an obsession, if you are not the kind of person who needs obsessions in their life, then don't bother.
Visit my YouTube Channel: Advanced Advantage Play
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 16
Thanks for this post from:
teliot
November 20th, 2020 at 4:32:59 PM permalink
Quote: teliot

...But this show makes it seem like top players blitzed out moves all the time. That never happens.

Dylan Loeb McClain mentions this in his article I’m a Chess Expert. Here’s What ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ Gets Right

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/03/arts/television/chess-queens-gambit.html

Despite the efforts to make the chess scenes believable, there are still areas in which the series comes up short. The most apparent is in how fast the players move during the tournaments. As one tournament director tells Beth before a competition in Cincinnati, each player has two hours to make 40 moves, which was, and still is, a standard time control for such games. But in every match, Beth and her opponents make each of their moves after taking only a few seconds to think about them. At such a tempo, they would finish their games in minutes, not hours. The speed is understandable for filmmaking because watching players sit at a board for hours, barely moving, is not riveting. But it is also not accurate.
EdCollins
EdCollins
November 20th, 2020 at 4:34:43 PM permalink
By the way, the November 2020 issue of Chess Life, with an article or two on the miniseries, is being made free to the public:

https://new.uschess.org/sites/default/files/media/documents/cl_2020.11_promo.pdf
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 37
November 20th, 2020 at 5:14:01 PM permalink
I should have become a life member in the early 1990's when it cost about $350. Thanks for the link.
Visit my YouTube Channel: Advanced Advantage Play
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1344
November 20th, 2020 at 6:02:09 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

I thought I might have played Mike a while back. The handle was WizardsChess64. I ask if he was Mike but got no reply. Wizard was born in ‘65, but still, what a considence.

It wasn't me.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
November 21st, 2020 at 11:35:56 PM permalink
Quote: teliot

Nearly all of it. The speed that the games were played in almost every scene where they showed moves was absurd.

Agreed, it was ridiculous. Pure Hwood
fantasy crap. I played in tournaments
in the late 60's and they would bore
the hell out of a non chess person.
I thought it was silly that they had
a 9 year old girl pull a Bobby Fischer
and play a dozen people at once and
then never mention it again. At 9
not even Bobby Fisher could do that.

Quote:

Other than that, fabulous.

The production values are fabulous,
Nflix spent a lot of money reproducing
the 50's sets. I've only seen the first
3 ep's and so far the acting is flat,
the story is slow and tedious, and
the main character is as likeable as
a wet mop in the first 2 ep's and
gets a little better in the 3rd. I
suspect this is Nflix's answer
to Prime's wonderful 'The Marvelous
Mrs Maisel'. Set in the same period,
and the production values are both
excellent. The difference being Maisel
has a stellar cast and story, and Gambit
does not. I'll probably eventually see
the entire Maisel series 10 times and
Gambit only once.

Quote:

Chess is an obsession, if you are not the kind of person who needs obsessions in their life, then don't bother.

Absolutely the reason I haven't played
a game since 1970. I was obsessed with
it. I was thinking about everyday life
in chess moves. Chess is dangerous,
you waste a lot of time doing nothing.
Chess doesn't make your life better,
it wastes your life. Better to turn the
obsession energy into something
useful. Just watching the chess scenes,
as silly as they are here, makes me yearn
to play. Ick... Chess is the older version
of today's video games, something else
I've stayed totally away from.
Last edited by: EvenBob on Nov 22, 2020
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EdCollins
EdCollins
November 22nd, 2020 at 12:11:19 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

...I thought it was silly that they had a 9 year old girl pull a Bobby Fischer and play a dozen people at once and then never mention it again. At 9 not even Bobby Fisher could do that.

Fischer might not have been able to. His skill really didn't take off until he was 11 or 12... but there have been lots of chess prodigies over the years that could. For example, Reshevsky was giving simuls at an even younger age.

Quote: EvenBob

...Chess is dangerous, you waste a lot of time doing nothing. Chess doesn't make your life better, it wastes your life. Better to turn the obsession energy into something useful.

Couldn't you say that about just about anything? Does poker make your life better? What about blackjack? What about baseball? What about watching movies or reading or playing golf or gardening?

Chess is a recreational pastime, enjoy by millions of people all over the world. It's been said chess develops perspective, improves memory, increases intelligence, deepens focus, elevates creativity, boosts planning skills, increases self-awareness, and even protects against dementia, among many other things.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
November 22nd, 2020 at 12:37:57 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Chess is a recreational pastime, enjoy by millions of people all over the world. It's been said chess develops perspective, improves memory, increases intelligence, deepens focus, elevates creativity, boosts planning skills, increases self-awareness, and even protects against dementia, among many other things.

Sure it does. You forgot that it
also cures baldness and gives
you hours of wood when you
need it. And wastes a lot of time.
I'd rather read a non fiction book
where I actually learn something.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
November 22nd, 2020 at 6:53:05 AM permalink
The mind is like a parachute. Nothing but dead weight if you choose not to open it.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 304
November 22nd, 2020 at 6:58:22 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Fischer might not have been able to. His skill really didn't take off until he was 11 or 12... but there have been lots of chess prodigies over the years that could. For example, Reshevsky was giving simuls at an even younger age.

I'll tell you the one that I keep thinking about: the Wizard has a story about playing a blind-folded kid in Australia and losing badly [I think I have those details right]

Naturally at first I was just thinking "wow that kid must have been awesome"

Since then I've wondered if it was a scam, since the Wiz was a tourist. That aspect keeps me wondering. Did a player have to pay to challenge the kid? I've concocted ways cheating could be done pretty easily.

Nonetheless googling it shows there are grandmasters who can do this, and I can hardly claim they are all cheats.

PS, he talks about blindfolded chess at 3:50

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: