Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 1st, 2022 at 5:14:50 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

You are describing a zero sum game but cryptocurrency is not a zero sum game.

With crypto everyone can lose everything.
link to original post

Can you explain this as it doesn't make sense to me?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
July 1st, 2022 at 6:29:31 PM permalink
FBI offering $100,000 if you turn her in. Mastermind of 4 billion coin scam

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
July 1st, 2022 at 6:47:19 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Can you explain this as it doesn't make sense to me?
link to original post

I second that. Please explain any scenario where that is possible.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
RayFinkle
July 1st, 2022 at 8:02:30 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

I bought more just now at 19,012.89

Fire sale 🔥 🔥🔥
link to original post

With an expected loss of about 21%, you’d be much better off putting your hard-earned cash on the Fire Bet 🔥.

Or even the lottery
It’s all about making that GTA
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 2nd, 2022 at 3:19:33 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Bitcoin down another $1,000 today.

Question for the BTC faithful -- At what price will your faith start to crack?
link to original post

I have seen at least 2 80% or so drops. The week all the virus stuff hit BTC was down IIRC to a little below $5,000 from a previous high of about $19,000. Now you are at $19,000 from a high of about $67,000. Next halving is in about 700 days, which has historically meant a huge run. You should be dollar cost averaging in now to cash out then. IOW, i am hanging on. Dropping $40 per month on SHIB until I have 100MM of them, I figure that is a better chance and buy than lottery tickets.

Quote:

BTC may have been a good start, but I think a new generation of cryptocurrency will come along that will cost under a penny per transaction, take under a second, and be based on something real. When that happens, BTC will be a relic that we will laugh at the way we laugh at the Beanie Baby craze of the 90's.
link to original post

What are you meaning there? The USD in your wallet is not based on anything real. Well, you can get gold for it as soon as the temporary closure of the gold window ends. 51 years next month since it was closed so the "temporary" closure has to be near over.

No currency is based on anything more than the government saying it is good. The difference is the fed cannot print up BTC to keep the game going.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
July 2nd, 2022 at 4:37:54 AM permalink

So is the U.S. Dollar. No fiat currency has ever not eventually failed.
link to original post

What the **** are you talking about? Don't even try to equate crypto fiat currencies with national fiat currencies.

National currencies function within a robust financial system and national treasuries, and under the auspices of central banks that can utilize open market operations to provide stability. Crypto currencies have absolutely no stabilizing tools at their disposal. None. Nil. Nada. In the post Bretton Woods era the world has had nothing but fiat national currency and during that time not one national currency has even come close to failure,..the closest call might have been the Venezuelan Bolivar during 2016, but even that wasn't very close.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
UP84
July 2nd, 2022 at 4:46:00 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The USD in your wallet is not based on anything real.
link to original post

The USD is the official currency of the United States. As long as the country means something, so does it's currency.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 2nd, 2022 at 5:11:55 AM permalink
Quote: UP84

In the post Bretton Woods era the world has had nothing but fiat national currency and during that time not one national currency has even come close to failure,..the closest call might have been the Venezuelan Bolivar during 2016, but even that wasn't very close.
link to original post

When it takes 11 zeroes to buy an egg and the currency comes with an expiration date printed on it, I consider it "failed".
As I recall, the paper was worth more before it went into the printing press.
I understand that these are subjective criteria for failure, and you're welcome to your own.
May the cards fall in your favor.
UP84
UP84
July 2nd, 2022 at 5:26:50 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

In the post Bretton Woods era the world has had nothing but fiat national currency and during that time not one national currency has even come close to failure,..the closest call might have been the Venezuelan Bolivar during 2016, but even that wasn't very close.
link to original post

When it takes 11 zeroes to buy an egg and the currency comes with an expiration date printed on it, I consider it "failed".
I understand that these are subjective criteria for failure, and you're welcome to your own.
link to original post

Yup, forgot that one. I'd consider that a failure. But I stand by my point, which was in response to the statement that "No fiat currency has eventually not failed."
Last edited by: UP84 on Jul 2, 2022
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
July 2nd, 2022 at 6:55:37 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Yup, forgot that one. I'd consider that a failure. But I stand by my point, which was in response to the statement that "No fiat currency has eventually not failed."
link to original post

You are forgetting German Marks after reparations for WWI
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
UP84
UP84
July 2nd, 2022 at 7:03:22 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

No. I said post Bretton Woods.
darkoz
darkoz
July 2nd, 2022 at 7:09:11 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

No. I said post Bretton Woods.
link to original post

I see.

But that makes your designation hardly much to talk about. 80 years of history as opposed to most all of history.

Bitcoin has had a decade.

There are still people alive pre-bretton!

Now when you can say no Fiat currency has failed in recorded history, then you got yourself some whopper argument.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 2nd, 2022 at 7:36:51 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I think that may have been before 1973.
Ace2
Ace2
July 2nd, 2022 at 8:50:54 AM permalink

link to original post

Funny you posted that…As bitcoin has depreciated 37% in just the last month, it’s comparable to the Zimbabwean dollar. Actually it’s far worse in terms of total wealth lost

No currency is perfect. And definitely not bitcoin
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 2nd, 2022 at 8:58:52 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

Funny you posted that…As bitcoin has depreciated 37% in just the last month, it’s comparable to the Zimbabwean dollar. Actually it’s far worse in terms of total wealth lost
link to original post

Quote: Wikipedia: Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe's peak month of inflation is estimated at 79.6 billion percent month-on-month
link

I think there may still be some faint glimmer of hope for Bitcoin.
UP84
UP84
July 2nd, 2022 at 9:36:29 AM permalink

But that makes your designation hardly much to talk about. 80 years of history as opposed to most all of history.

Bitcoin has had a decade.

Well, if you're going by historical track records, then 100% of commodity-backed national currencies have failed...because they no longer exist.

The Zimbabwe failure doesn't really support the idea that ALL fiat national currencies are not sustainable (the original quote) because it was one example out of a boatload, and of course it's replacement was another fiat currency.
darkoz
darkoz
July 2nd, 2022 at 10:03:58 AM permalink

link to original post

No currency is perfect. And definitely not bitcoin
link to original post

How has the US dollar been any different? It's just viewed through an inflation lens.

I have a few pennies from the 1940's. My mom told me a penny in 1940(she lived in NYC) brought her a bag of M&M's.

Today it takes 125 pennies(regardless from 1940 or today) in NYC to purchase a bag of M&M's.

Two years ago a gallon of gas was about $2. Now it's $5 for the same gallon.

How has wealth not been lost for the stable US dollar when the same dollars you had in your mattress from three years ago buys you less than half at the pump?
Last edited by: darkoz on Jul 2, 2022
rxwine
rxwine
July 2nd, 2022 at 12:41:22 PM permalink
Nice thing about real coins, even though the Roman Empire is long gone, if you can find a 4th coin with Caesar on it, you’ll be quite rich. (There’s only 3 known ones)

So, there. : )
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Ace2
Ace2
July 2nd, 2022 at 1:00:23 PM permalink

How has the US dollar been any different? It's just viewed through an inflation lens.

I have a few pennies from the 1940's. My mom told me a penny in 1940(she lived in NYC) brought her a bag of M&M's.

Today it takes 125 pennies(regardless from 1940 or today) in NYC to purchase a bag of M&M's.

How has wealth not been lost for the stable US dollar when the same dollars you had in your mattress from three years ago buys you less than half at the pump?
link to original post

M&Ms and gasoline 😆

The difference is that Bitcoin has depreciated about 200 times faster than the USD. It took the dollar about 15 years* to lose 37% of its value while bitcoin did it in one month.

To my knowledge, a couple/few percent inflation per year is ideal and expected in a healthy economy. On an annualized basis, bitcoin is showing an effective inflation rate of about 26,000 %. !!

One thing is indisputable: bitcoin is definitely not a stable place to store wealth, not even for the very short term.

*extrapolated from real vs nominal GDP over last 16 years
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 2nd, 2022 at 1:50:36 PM permalink

link to original post

M&Ms and gasoline 😆

The difference is that Bitcoin has depreciated about 200 times faster than the USD. It took the dollar about 15 years* to lose 37% of its value while bitcoin did it in one month.

To my knowledge, a couple/few percent inflation per year is ideal and expected in a healthy economy. On an annualized basis, bitcoin is showing an effective inflation rate of about 26,000 %. !!

One thing is indisputable: bitcoin is definitely not a stable place to store wealth, not even for the very short term.

link to original post

The modern USD was launched in 1914. Since then it has lost 96-98% of its value. Is that a success to you?

$1 USD when bitcoin was launched is worth 25% less now. How does BTC value today compare to 2009?

USD has been "reset" a few times. First when FDR stole all the gold from private citizens. Again in 1964 when silver was taken out of coins. Then again in 1971 when the gold window was temporarily closed. Has BTC been reset?
darkoz
darkoz
July 2nd, 2022 at 2:03:27 PM permalink

link to original post

M&Ms and gasoline 😆

link to original post

AZDuffman has a good point.

Assuming you had access to a time machine and knew where everything would be today,

Going back to the year 2009, which would you invest in and hold until 2022? $1000 US or 1000 bitcoins?
Ace2
Ace2
July 2nd, 2022 at 2:25:37 PM permalink
If I had a time machine I would just go back three days and pick the right Powerball numbers, winning half of the $367 million dollar jackpot on a $2 investment. Good point

Cash is a place to store wealth on a temporary basis. You don’t have a time machine and you don’t ever want to risk losing 37% in one month holding cash. Ever
Last edited by: Ace2 on Jul 2, 2022
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
July 3rd, 2022 at 4:48:08 AM permalink
Any comparison between USD and bitcoin is meaningless to me. Who the hell "invests" in the USD? Not me.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 3rd, 2022 at 2:42:42 PM permalink
Quote: Gundy

Any comparison between USD and bitcoin is meaningless to me. Who the hell "invests" in the USD? Not me.
link to original post

Look at it this way, If you lived in Japan in the 1970s within 20 years of so your dollars lost 2/3 of their value vs the Yen. Yes, Japanese invested in dollars.
Ace2
Ace2
July 3rd, 2022 at 4:21:56 PM permalink
No matter where you lived, your bitcoin lost more than 2/3rds of its value in the last eight months
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 3rd, 2022 at 4:33:25 PM permalink

No matter where you lived, your bitcoin lost more than 2/3rds of its value in the last eight months
link to original post

Yet it is up nearly 400% since the virus hit in 2020.

BTC is a volatile investment but grows over the long term. If you cannot handle the swings do not invest.

BTC tends to go up about 400% peak to next peak. That means next peak should be in the $260,000 range in the mid 2020s.

That happens and we are definitely talking Cordoba.
UP84
UP84
Thanked by
Ace2
July 4th, 2022 at 4:27:32 AM permalink

BTC tends to go up about 400% peak to next peak. That means next peak should be in the $260,000 range in the mid 2020s.

More like Enron.
rxwine
rxwine
July 4th, 2022 at 7:19:49 AM permalink
Facebook is ending it's 3-year experiment with crypto and telling people to withdraw by Sept.
Ace2
Ace2
July 4th, 2022 at 4:02:28 PM permalink

[
link to original post

I’m not familiar with that saying. Is it a reference to the Arab conquest of Spain ?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 5th, 2022 at 3:02:52 AM permalink

[
link to original post

I’m not familiar with that saying. Is it a reference to the Arab conquest of Spain ?
link to original post

it is a quote from "WKRP In Cincinnati" when Herb calculates his possible commission. For those on here too young to remember the 1970s, the Cordoba was one of the cars that lower-level successful people aspired to. Cheaper than a Cadillac or Lincoln but still filled with all the comforts and rode like it was on a cloud.

Tanko
Tanko
July 5th, 2022 at 4:48:36 AM permalink
I withdrew my cash from Coinbase last week. As a precaution, I set up a checking account in a bank different from my regular bank and had them transfer the funds to that account. Withdrawal took a few days and was not a simple process.

Coinbase is not a large broker. It only holds $250 billion in customer fiat and crypto currencies, and it lost $430 million in the first quarter.

The broker Charles Schwab has $7.6 trillion under management and saw $1.4 billion in net income in the first quarter.

'Coinbase earnings were bad. Worse still, the crypto exchange is now warning that bankruptcy could wipe out user funds'

'Coinbase Lets Users Know What a Bankruptcy Could Mean for Their Crypto'
Gundy
Gundy
July 5th, 2022 at 5:21:12 AM permalink
Ten years from now, nobody will admit to buying this crap.

Going to ZERO.

Who's gonna be the bagholder?
DRich
DRich
July 5th, 2022 at 5:25:18 AM permalink

You don't think the people that bought at $1 and sold at $60,000 will admit it?
darkoz
darkoz
July 5th, 2022 at 5:35:48 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

I withdrew my cash from Coinbase last week. As a precaution, I set up a checking account in a bank different from my regular bank and had them transfer the funds to that account. Withdrawal took a few days and was not a simple process.

Coinbase is not a large broker. It only holds $250 billion in customer fiat and crypto currencies, and it lost $430 million in the first quarter.

The broker Charles Schwab has $7.6 trillion under management and saw $1.4 billion in net income in the first quarter.

'Coinbase earnings were bad. Worse still, the crypto exchange is now warning that bankruptcy could wipe out user funds'

'Coinbase Lets Users Know What a Bankruptcy Could Mean for Their Crypto'
link to original post

Your post makes it sound like bankruptcy is imminent.

The article says they were forced to put the warnings in due to new government regulations.

Coinbase itself says they aren't expecting a bankruptcy.

Also customers can use personal wallets instead of coinbase wallets while still using coinbase. It's just a bit more complicated but the trade-off is security if coinbase did go bankrupt which still seems slim to none.

BTW, the FDIC only insures regular bank customers up to $250,000 which is fine for regular guys but telling a multi-millionaire he only gets back $250,000 is equivalent to saying you lost it all, pretty much.
darkoz
darkoz
July 5th, 2022 at 5:38:40 AM permalink

You don't think the people that bought at $1 and sold at $60,000 will admit it?
link to original post

People who brought at $500 and sold at $1000 will admit it. They will even rue they sold too early.

I know because my daughter does that. She sold and was happy at her profit in 2016. Now she just mourns at what her life could have been like.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 5th, 2022 at 6:05:58 AM permalink

link to original post

I miss the part where me mentions Corinthian leather.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 5th, 2022 at 1:54:36 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

link to original post

I miss the part where me mentions Corinthian leather.
link to original post

It is hard to explain to the younger generation that this was the kind of car a cool cat would own back then. They have low practicality for your luggage or passengers but none of that mattered back then. This was a "personal" car.
rxwine
rxwine
August 3rd, 2022 at 10:21:32 AM permalink
“ Hackers drained almost $200 million in cryptocurrency from Nomad, a tool that lets users swap tokens from one blockchain to another, in yet another attack highlighting weaknesses in the decentralized finance space.
Nomad acknowledged the exploit in a tweet late Monday.

"We are aware of the incident involving the Nomad token bridge," the startup said. "We are currently investigating and will provide updates when we have them."

It's not entirely clear how the attack was orchestrated, or if Nomad plans to reimburse users who lost tokens in the attack. The company, which markets itself as a "secure cross-chain messaging" service, wasn't immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC.

Blockchain security experts described the exploit as a "free-for-all." Anyone with knowledge of the exploit and how it worked could seize on the flaw and withdraw an amount of tokens from Nomad — sort of like a cash machine spewing out money at the tap of a button.“
DRich
DRich
August 3rd, 2022 at 1:05:21 PM permalink
I would be very surprised if they made their customers whole.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
August 4th, 2022 at 1:47:53 AM permalink

more than $200 million of crypto was recently hacked - stolen - from more than 10,000 users

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/08/03/solana-nomad-hacks-security-questions/

Please don't feed the trolls
rxwine
rxwine
September 1st, 2022 at 7:41:07 AM permalink
Quote:

According to 7news in Australia, a Melbourne woman received the ^10,000,000 instead of $100 in May 2021, and several months later, Crypto.com discovered its error.

“Extraordinarily, the Plaintiffs allegedly did not realize this significant error until some seven months later, in late December 2021,” the Victorian Supreme Court judge James Elliott wrote in a court ruling.

The woman, Thevamanogari Manivel, is being sued by the crypto giant for its money back. The only problem: some of it has already been spent.

Manivel used $1.35 million of the funds to purchase a five-bedroom home for her sister Thilagavathy Gangadory in Craigieburn, Australia.

also, she has one hellava name as well as her sister.
rxwine
rxwine
September 7th, 2022 at 11:19:23 AM permalink
How low can she go

18,987.80USD
Gundy
Gundy
September 7th, 2022 at 1:09:07 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

How low can she go

18,987.80USD
link to original post

Zero, or close to it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2022 at 2:54:28 PM permalink

Quote: rxwine

How low can she go

18,987.80USD
link to original post

Zero, or close to it.
link to original post

Last tine I heard that it went to $67,000.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
September 7th, 2022 at 8:13:07 PM permalink
I'm pro-Bitcoin because it has a few specific uses to me, and I have done well. I make no predictions, up or down.

I still can't figure out how and what the average everyday person will be using it for, or why they would want to invest now that the hype is over.

I remember people claiming was supposed to hedge against inflation, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
September 13th, 2022 at 10:09:39 AM permalink
Bitcoin down $1715 TO $20,700. Dow Jones making a play for another -1,000 point day. S&P 500 falling below 4,000 with a 3% drop. Oil down 2% to $85.50/bbl. 2 YR yield highest since Oct. 2007. Stocks fall on hotter than expected inflation numbers. (If the CPI isn't 75%, you're being lied to.)

The Strategic Petroleum Reserve which has lost nearly a third of it's holdings may be refilled if oil drops below $80/barrel. Saudis vow to reduce production if oil goes below $90.

RT - FXHedge & ZH: RICHEST AMERICANS LOSE $93 BILLION AFTER INFLATION-FUELED STOCK ROUT; BEZOS NET WORTH PLUNGED $9.8B, MUSK LOST $8.4B: BBG
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Sep 13, 2022
NotFred
NotFred
Thanked by
rawtuff
September 13th, 2022 at 8:57:26 PM permalink
Damn I love a good con. Start with the name Bitcoin. Bit as in digital, coin as in money. Then call the computer geeks miners. As if mining a precious metal like gold or silver.
Plus when price crashes call it a Bitcoin winter, sure to go up again in the spring. And latest con, rename all the chumps who lost money. Call them tourists. Damn I love a good con. And 13 year old technology being praised as something new.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
September 25th, 2022 at 8:46:33 PM permalink
BishCoin make break parity on Monday.

CME GBP FUTURES HALTED #currencycrash
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Sep 25, 2022
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 24th, 2022 at 6:56:32 PM permalink
Seems to me Bitcoin has been in the range of 18K to 23K since mid June. I have never seen such stability in it's value. I am not sure what my point is, but just wanted to make the observation.
billryan
billryan
October 24th, 2022 at 7:45:08 PM permalink
Bitcoin has zero forward momentum and will soon be the myspace of cryptocurrency The kool kids have found a new shiny object.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
  • Jump to: