SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
  • Threads: 14
May 6th, 2014 at 5:44:05 PM permalink
I've come to really like playing through the DC just for the simple fact that my bets stay up if the point is made. Whereas through the COME, you could have five numbers, and one 7 takes them all. Also, if it makes you feel better, your bet on the Don't Come loses on a 7 so you can get pissed off with the rest of the table! :-)
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
May 6th, 2014 at 7:24:12 PM permalink
Quote: SkittleCar1

I've come to really like playing through the DC just for the simple fact that my bets stay up if the point is made. Whereas through the COME, you could have five numbers, and one 7 takes them all.

Death by 1000 papercuts vs having your head cut off in one fell swoop. To each his own...
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
May 6th, 2014 at 7:49:10 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

... The one thing that I don't like is if I play $5 don't come and $10 odds on a 10 and a 7 is rolled I only get back $5 on my odds bet. When you play a come bet that $10 odds gets paid $15. I guess you will win it more often with the don't come but it just feels wrong to get paid 1/2 of what you bet.

GWAE,
This answer is NOT based on math, but I have found it to be a more acceptable way for me to play the dark side.

I too found laying more in odds than I was going to win, to be a mental obstacle. Even though it is 0% HE bet. My DC or DP bet on the other hand, has the advantage, AND is getting paid 1:1. Sure, I am a 1:2 underdog on the come out roll, but if I get past that, I now have the distinct advantage. So, I decided to not bother laying any odds, and instead, I just put the total amount I would have bet down as the DP or DC. So, $25 or $50 DP, and just see how it plays out. I may add one DC at times. So, you only are really sweating the come out roll. After that, you have the edge AND you are getting paid 1:1.

But, like you, I don't really enjoy playing the DS. The table has to be really bad for me to go there.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
May 7th, 2014 at 5:17:12 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Death by 1000 papercuts vs having your head cut off in one fell swoop. To each his own...

HAHA!!! That is a great analogy!!
SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
May 7th, 2014 at 5:21:11 AM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

GWAE,
This answer is NOT based on math, but I have found it to be a more acceptable way for me to play the dark side.

I too found laying more in odds than I was going to win, to be a mental obstacle. Even though it is 0% HE bet. My DC or DP bet on the other hand, has the advantage, AND is getting paid 1:1. Sure, I am a 1:2 underdog on the come out roll, but if I get past that, I now have the distinct advantage. So, I decided to not bother laying any odds, and instead, I just put the total amount I would have bet down as the DP or DC. So, $25 or $50 DP, and just see how it plays out.

That is interesting. I have never thought about it that way. I may give that a try. Its only money if lose right?!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 7th, 2014 at 6:50:51 AM permalink
Quote: TerribleTom

Whatever maximizes your enjoyment of the game is the right way to play.

Whatever maximizes your income from the game is the right way to play.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 7th, 2014 at 7:15:55 AM permalink

Its only money if lose right?!

No, it's not money, it's only chips.

Chips are fattening, filled with saturated fat.

You're much better off without them.
"What, me worry?"
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 7th, 2014 at 8:10:23 AM permalink
That is why I eat baked lays. A little less fat.

One thing that I noticed is that my local gives almost no comps for small time craps players. Last week I was playing at 7am. I was doing $5 pass with 2x odds and 2 come bets with odds as well. I played for 2 hours and only received 178 points. $1 in a machine gives 1 point. I did receive 3 drink tickets which was nice and since I was going to work I saved them for another day.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
PBguy
PBguy
  • Threads: 4
May 7th, 2014 at 9:17:47 AM permalink

I tried playing the dark side today and it was just no fun. I will stick to the ever so slight disadvantage to playing pass and come (compared to the dark side). The one thing that I don't like is if I play $5 don't come and $10 odds on a 10 and a 7 is rolled I only get back $5 on my odds bet. When you play a come bet that $10 odds gets paid $15. I guess you will win it more often with the don't come but it just feels wrong to get paid 1/2 of what you bet. I was also the only one at the table playing don't pass so it just felt like I was an outsider. Its all a learning process but I am really enjoying craps now and I haven't taken a beating yet so that always helps.

That's why I rarely play the DP and DC. I just don't find it fun. The best thing to me is a hot table where everyone is winning and getting excited. THAT is why I love playing craps.
TerribleTom
TerribleTom
  • Threads: 8
May 7th, 2014 at 1:50:27 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Whatever maximizes your income from the game is the right way to play.

It's a -EV game. To maximize income, the best plan is not to play.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
May 7th, 2014 at 2:49:58 PM permalink

Your bet on the Don't Come loses on a 7 so you can get pissed off with the rest of the table! :-)

Gee, my wins are usually caused by sevens being rolled. Are you sure you're rolling the dice correctly.
GWAE
GWAE
May 8th, 2014 at 9:52:38 AM permalink
I learned a lesson today. NEVER play at a table by yourself. I like to shoot but when you shoot over and over and over it gets less fun. The game also goes way to fast and you lose quicker. I know I can slow it down but it is hard to. Luckily I bought in for $150 and left with $125 after being down to $40. This was all in under 25 minutes.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
May 8th, 2014 at 11:46:35 AM permalink
I tend to be a rhythm shooter. I get into a nice tempo, and everything just falls into place. I have had quite a few decent rolls playing on a table by myself, but it is not much fun when I am not throwing well.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
richbailey86
richbailey86
  • Threads: 38
May 10th, 2014 at 5:05:05 AM permalink
Ive never played craps. Can anyone lay out a basic way to place bets for me. Can you just bet on pass or dont pass?
An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government. – Ron Paul
GWAE
GWAE
May 10th, 2014 at 5:57:04 AM permalink
Rich I basically just started playing 2 months ago. As a new player I would recommend playing pass line bets and don't go to the dark side which is the don't pass. Check out this site to play for free.
https://wizardofodds.com/play/craps/v2/

The basic bet is called a pass line bet. If you are at a $5 table I would just play $5 there first. You will see a puck that says on/off. When the puck is off that means it is a come out roll. On a come out roll you will win a pass line bet with a 7 or 11. If there is a 2,3, or 12 then you lose. If it is any other number then that becomes the number and you will see the puck go to that number and say on. When the puck is on that means your pass line bet now only wins when that number is thrown again. Your pass line bet only loses when a 7 is thrown. That is called seven out and the game is over. So basically a roll can look like this.

You place $5 on pass line
then the rolls look like this.
7- you win you get paid $5
11- you win you get paid $5
3- you lose, they take your $5. You bet again with $5 and the same shooter keeps throwing.
6- the point is now 6 and puck turns on.
8- nothing happens for you but the people who bet the 8 win.
3- nothing happens for you
6- you win your bet and get paid $5. Now the puck is turned off so the rules for a come out roll apply.
8- the point is now 8 and the puck turns on.
7- game over, you lose your bet and the dice moves to the next person.

You can also take odds which means when the puck is turned on you will get paid true odds on that bet which pays you more. For example. If you bet $5 on pass and the point is a 10. You can put odds behind your bet. If you put $5 odds and the point is made you would get paid $5 on the pass line but $10 on the odds. The payout is different for 4/10, 5/9, and 6/8.

One last word of advice. DO NOT play any of the bets in the middle of the table unless you like losing money very quickly. Most of the bets in the middle are for 1 roll only. So if you bet that a 12 is rolled, it must be rolled on the next throw in order to win. You will hear the dealers push these bets over and over and you will see tons of people betting them. You will also see an occasional nice payout of $150 on a $5 bet but these bets have a huge HE so stay away.

I hope this made some sense. It is a lot easier learning at the table opposed to reading on here but I thought I would try to help. I was clueless on this game until I got together in March with a group of people from here and now it is my favorite game.
richbailey86
richbailey86
May 10th, 2014 at 6:11:39 AM permalink

Rich I basically just started playing 2 months ago. As a new player I would recommend playing pass line bets and don't go to the dark side which is the don't pass. Check out this site to play for free.

The basic bet is called a pass line bet. If you are at a $5 table I would just play $5 there first. You will see a puck that says on/off. When the puck is off that means it is a come out roll. On a come out roll you will win a pass line bet with a 7 or 11. If there is a 2,3, or 12 then you lose. If it is any other number then that becomes the number and you will see the puck go to that number and say on. When the puck is on that means your pass line bet now only wins when that number is thrown again. Your pass line bet only loses when a 7 is thrown. That is called seven out and the game is over. So basically a roll can look like this.

3- you lose, they take your $5. You bet again with $5 and the same shooter keeps throwing.
6- you win your bet and get paid $5. Now the puck is turned off so the rules for a come out roll apply.

You can also take odds which means when the puck is turned on you will get paid true odds on that bet which pays you more. For example. If you bet $5 on pass and the point is a 10. You can put odds behind your bet. If you put $5 odds and the point is made you would get paid $5 on the pass line but $10 on the odds. The payout is different for 4/10, 5/9, and 6/8.

One last word of advice. DO NOT play any of the bets in the middle of the table unless you like losing money very quickly. Most of the bets in the middle are for 1 roll only. So if you bet that a 12 is rolled, it must be rolled on the next throw in order to win. You will hear the dealers push these bets over and over and you will see tons of people betting them. You will also see an occasional nice payout of $150 on a $5 bet but these bets have a huge HE so stay away.

I hope this made some sense. It is a lot easier learning at the table opposed to reading on here but I thought I would try to help. I was clueless on this game until I got together in March with a group of people from here and now it is my favorite game.

Very nice response especially for someone who is new to craps. I appreciate that

Technically I can do what you stated but on dont pass, if i wanted to?
An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government. – Ron Paul
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 10th, 2014 at 8:04:15 AM permalink
Quote: richbailey86

dont pass, if i wanted to?

just no reason for a new player to do that. Are you used to looking at the puck first thing? If no, then you are going to embarass yourself by betting Don't Pass when the puck is on [that would be player advantage]. Yes, there is still a way to play darkside with the puck on, but learn to be a rightside bettor first.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
GWAE
GWAE
May 10th, 2014 at 8:08:49 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

just no reason for a new player to do that. Are you used to looking at the puck first thing? If no, then you are going to embarass yourself by betting Don't Pass when the puck is on [that would be player advantage]. Yes, there is still a way to play darkside with the puck on, but learn to be a rightside bettor first.

Plus I think the odds are a little more complicated since they are backwards.

Also if you need to ask any questions to other players, there probably won't be many don't bettors.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 10th, 2014 at 8:11:11 AM permalink

One thing that I noticed is that my local gives almost no comps for small time craps players. Last week I was playing at 7am. I was doing $5 pass with 2x odds and 2 come bets with odds as well. I played for 2 hours and only received 178 points. $1 in a machine gives 1 point. I did receive 3 drink tickets which was nice and since I was going to work I saved them for another day.

Likely, they are only going by a formula though. See near the bottom of the page the chart "Hands per Hour, House Edge for Comp Purposes"

https://wizardofodds.com/gambling/house-edge/
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
GWAE
GWAE
May 10th, 2014 at 8:26:03 AM permalink

Likely, they are only going by a formula though. See near the bottom of the page the chart "Hands per Hour, House Edge for Comp Purposes"

https://wizardofodds.com/gambling/house-edge/

I am going to keep detailed info know what I bet next time so I can try to figure out what they do. Even if they ignore odds bets it just really seems low. maybe I am just used to BJ and the floor probably rating me higher than I play.

If the points I got are the statement standard then I am going to rethink how much I tip unless they are really good.
PBguy
PBguy
  • Threads: 4
May 10th, 2014 at 12:17:35 PM permalink

I learned a lesson today. NEVER play at a table by yourself. I like to shoot but when you shoot over and over and over it gets less fun. The game also goes way to fast and you lose quicker. I know I can slow it down but it is hard to. Luckily I bought in for $150 and left with $125 after being down to $40. This was all in under 25 minutes.

I had a nice comeback last night after the table went cold and everyone left but me. I had been playing for about an hour and was down about 125 playing conservatively. On my second roll after everyone else left I finally had a decent roll and cashed out $75 ahead. It was the only decent roll while I was there and everyone else missed it!
richbailey86
richbailey86
May 10th, 2014 at 4:43:39 PM permalink

what exactly does it mean to lay odds behind ur passline bet? how do you do that exactly?
GWAE
GWAE
May 10th, 2014 at 5:04:11 PM permalink

what exactly does it mean to lay odds behind ur passline bet? how do you do that exactly?

So if you have a $5 pass line bet and then a number is established the casino will essentially let you add money to the bet in the form of odds. They not only let you add money to the bet, they will pay you better than the pass line. if you have $5 on the pass and you want to do $10 in odds then you put the $10 down behind the line. The picture below is from the link that I gave you above. On a normal craps table there wont be an extra line like in the picture. You just put the chips behind it. You will see everyone else at the table doing it or you can ask the dealer how to take odds.

If you have a $5 pass line and you want to take $10 odds then the pay outs will be as follows. Plus you keep your bet obviously so the amounts below are what you are getting paid above what you put down. The total that you can pull back will be in parenthesis.
4- 5 for pass and 20 for odds ($40)
5- 5 for pass and 15 for odds ($35)
6- 5 for pass and 12 for odds ($32)
8- 5 for pass and 12 for odds ($32)
9- 5 for pass and 15 for odds ($35)
10- 5 for pass and 20 for odds ($40)

you will notice that the 4/10 pay the same, 5/9 pay the same, and the 6/8 pay the same.

Also note that the 5 and 9 pay 3 to 2 on the odds do you ALWAYS want to make sure it is an even number or you will lose money. If you are only doing single odds then the bet should be $6 and not just $5. If you do $5 then you would get paid $7 because most craps tables don't have $0.50 chips. True odds mean you should get paid $7.50 but if they can't pay the $0.50 they will round down to $7.00.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 10th, 2014 at 5:11:25 PM permalink

you will notice that the 4/10 pay the same, 5/9 pay the same, and the 6/8 pay the same.

the 5 and 9 will pay $15 for a $10 odds bet, small error in your post I believe [edit: this was corrected evidently]

there are 6 ways to roll a 7, 4 ways to roll a 5 [or 9], and all other rolls might as well not have occurred as far as resolving 5 [or 9].

it pays 6 to 4, then, or 3 to 2, or $15 to $10, because it pays what is called a fair bet ... no house edge.
GWAE
GWAE
May 10th, 2014 at 5:24:15 PM permalink

the 5 and 9 will pay $15 for a $10 odds bet, small error in your post I believe [edit: this was corrected evidently]

there are 6 ways to roll a 7, 4 ways to roll a 5 [or 9], and all other rolls might as well not have occurred as far as resolving 5 [or 9].

it pays 6 to 4, then, or 3 to 2, or $15 to $10, because it pays what is called a fair bet ... no house edge.

you were to quick. I realized that after I hit post. I wanted to show the different between a $5 and $6 bet.
richbailey86
richbailey86
May 13th, 2014 at 5:36:05 PM permalink
so if you have a bet on the pass line you win when a point is made as well? little confused

thanks
GWAE
GWAE
May 13th, 2014 at 6:03:42 PM permalink

so if you have a bet on the pass line you win when a point is made as well? little confused

thanks

yes you win your pass line bet the following ways.

7 rolled on the come out
11 rolled on the come out
after the point is established, it is then made
richbailey86
richbailey86
May 13th, 2014 at 6:08:09 PM permalink

yes you win your pass line bet the following ways.

7 rolled on the come out
11 rolled on the come out
after the point is established, it is then made

nice

and when can you put odds behind the passline bet
GWAE
GWAE
May 13th, 2014 at 6:09:35 PM permalink

nice

and when can you put odds behind the passline bet

after the point is established
richbailey86
richbailey86
May 13th, 2014 at 6:10:21 PM permalink

after the point is established

ok cool
  • Jump to: