Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 7th, 2013 at 11:53:01 AM permalink
Times change. I used to haul shingles for my dad when he was roofing. Now Josie is bugging me to get a shingles vaccination.
I can still haul shingles, strength wise anyway, but that sun kills me. But sitting on the roof about 3pm drinking a beer, not exactly perfect, but pretty close.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
November 7th, 2013 at 12:14:48 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If you don't mind me asking, how were you received in general? I think the spitting that happened would only have happened sporadically when there was a large group around. But today while people get thanked for their service (thank you both, and anyone else out there btw) I think what happened to most was they got ignored and kind of had 400 days of their life missing when they came back.

I did hear a story when I was a kid (late Vietnam Era) about a guy was a Green Beret having a beer in the bar near the recruiting office. Two guys hassled him but he ignored them. They poured a beer over his head and you can imagine what happened before the cops got there. Bartender told the cops to leave the guy alone.

I was received cordially which is quite different than being welcomed with open arms. I soon realized that talking about it to civilians was not the best use of my time so I didn't and don't today.

My brother was the complete opposite of me and we could really push each others buttons. He was a member of SDS, a conscientious objector and a friend of Abbie Hoffman. We're fine today but I still think he was a jerk about it back then.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 7th, 2013 at 12:17:24 PM permalink
Hey, time cures all wounds. I no longer think of Mohammed Ali as Cassius Clay .

But with Hanoi Jane,I have not quite got there yet !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 7th, 2013 at 12:53:43 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

No harassment, but what used to piss me off was that on tv shows the nut job was always a Vietnam Vet. And killers in the newspaper was often painted with that same brush, which 90% of the time was not true. And of course those politicians who bragged about their sacrifices in Vietnam, until exposed as liars.

But quite a few vets made it back in one piece, but had trouble surviving here. I worked with a guy named Thomas Shanaman. He was one of only 3 survivors in his unit. But I found that out second hand, he never talked about it. Worked evening with him for several years. Great guy to work with. After things slowed at 8pm, he would carry the load and fight for something to work on. On
weekends he would work on crossword puzzles when things were slow. Anything not to put his brain in neutral, I guess. He rode the
bus home and would grab a 6 pack at the corner liquor store.

They AT&T forced us to another location and Tom was on days. Last time I spoke to him he had 153 days until he could take early
retirement. He never made double digits. A month later he shot himself in the head. They played this song at his funeral.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzdigxCIuOE

Just before I retired somebody introduced me to a new hire. Thomas Shanaman Jr. Nice kid. I told him his Dad was a hell of a nice guy. Always regretted I could not tell him anymore than that !

I've told people for years that "a job provides a hell of a lot more than just a paycheck". It's not something those in a routine of getting up going to work and living their lives stop to think about much.

That job for many is all they have to cling too, it is their purpose and reason for continuing. It is why they clean themselves up, eat, sleep and is their only social interaction with others. Personally I spent some years when Monday was my best day of the week. The social tragedy that is called offshoring has taken away any reason for decency for many. When someone has nothing to lose, they've lost their reason for not doing criminal behavior. Modern criminals who would have worked at a moderate wage and stayed out of trouble now look at 3 hots and a cot with friends as their only alternative.

There are a lot of borderline people out there that would prefer working to other means of survival. The planned destruction of the middle class is evil.

In the ballad there, VFW's were treated with greater reverence prior to Vietnam. It bother's me that ostensibly we went to war with Vietnam to stop the spread of communism. Well the Chinese are still communist and now the same people that sent us to fight and die are the same ones that make the decisions to send our manufacturing there eliminating the means for our returning warriors to provide for themselves when they come back. WTF
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 7th, 2013 at 1:08:04 PM permalink
Hey, did you forget ? If Saigon fell to communism, Trenton, New Jersey would be next. The domino theory. I remember climbing under my desk in grade school to prepare for a nuclear attack from the Russians.

Seen too many friends retire and just fade away. The middle class is dead, nobody told them yet. 1957 I was earning $67.50 a week.
Blue Cross family medical coverage paid fully by the grocery store I worked for. I remember Maryland State incomer tax enacted in 1958 or 9. And at same time Doc at drug store around the corner put a big empty pickle jar with hole in lid on counter top. Would ring up $1 in sales and say "That's a dollar for me and a penny for the Governor." SALES TAX

Old farts would complain about liver being high them and start yapping it was only a nickle a pound back in the day. Dad would cuss and say, Yeah And I did not have a nickle and neither did you ! These are the Good old Days.

Damn right he was. All a Dad had to do then was get his kid a honorable discharge and/or a GED and he could get him a union job at Bethlehem steel, Retail Clerks, Fisher Body, Chevy plant, etc. And if his son could handle his money in a few year he had a house in the suburbs, a car, and Mom could stay home and raise his kids. Then days are gone forever for the working man.
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 8th, 2013 at 11:00:29 PM permalink
Just went into town and seen quite a few vets there for the weekend.

There have been a lot of war songs over the years, what do you remember?

http://youtu.be/p_xDVyUOzYg
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
November 10th, 2013 at 10:00:12 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Just went into town and seen quite a few vets there for the weekend.

There have been a lot of war songs over the years, what do you remember?

http://youtu.be/p_xDVyUOzYg

Abraham, Martin, and John - Dion

Ohio - Neil Young

One Two Three Four - Country Joe and the Fish?

Creedence - many things of the time, like Run Through the Jungle, Fortunate Son, and Who'll Stop the Rain

War - Temptations

Hair - musical soundtrack; several songs

Elvis trilogy (Dixie/All My Trials/Battle Hymn of the Republic)

All Vietnam era songs above

I'm Proud to Be an American - mid-eighties - Lee Greenwood - wasn't really written about war, but came to be associated with 1st Gulf War early 90's

Lots of traditional songs from past conflicts, (ie Yankee Doodle) but those I listed were current to times in my life
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 10th, 2013 at 10:45:56 AM permalink
Thanks Babs, how about Jackson Brown lives in the balance?

http://youtu.be/ljIVuQdQnRk

Or Barry McGuire, Eve of Destruction?

http://youtu.be/3FsBEdPbXqg

Or one more, Sink the Bismarck by Johnny Horton?

http://youtu.be/M1Ufc2hI4FM

To our P.O.W.'s we will never forget.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 218
November 10th, 2013 at 11:37:24 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I'm Proud to Be an American - mid-eighties - Lee Greenwood - wasn't really written about war, but came to be associated with 1st Gulf War early 90's

I thought this was associated with 9/11.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
November 10th, 2013 at 12:04:54 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The AF still plays this song for every damn thing lol. I thought it was a parody of a patriotic song since I heard it on South Park all the time, but lo and behold when I finished BEAST guess what was blaring over the speakers? Having to not laugh while a TI was breathing down your neck was always the hardest parts about basic training.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous

• Jump to: