Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
March 27th, 2013 at 5:28:21 AM permalink
When I am at the craps table, I seem to be the first one to cheer when the point hits... by a large fraction of a second. Does this happen to you?

I've been playing with board games and dice since I was a child, and rolling two 6-sided and knowing the total the instant they stopped has just been second nature. I know some people's minds aren't wired for math, but it seems odd that no one else recognizes the point has come up. Is this a common occurrence for anyone else?
-Dween!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
March 27th, 2013 at 6:14:36 AM permalink
Perhaps you have better eyes. Perhaps you are sober. Perhaps you are more focused on the dice than most people. I doubt it's math related.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
March 27th, 2013 at 7:10:11 AM permalink
My eyes are often not good enough to see the pips at the far end. My hearing is such that I often can't understand the call. I need you to cheer to know I have won.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
March 27th, 2013 at 7:34:17 AM permalink
That would also make you the first to know you lost!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
March 27th, 2013 at 8:24:21 AM permalink
If a table is cold and then we finally hit a point i will usually holler "Winner!" and there can be a slow reaction since people are used to big red showing it's ugly head at the wrong times.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
March 27th, 2013 at 8:34:47 AM permalink
I am the same way...I'm the first to see the winner...
Even at California "Card" Craps, where cards determine (however, dice ARE rolled) I am the first to know (because I know exactly what I'm looking for, to show up on the dice)
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 27th, 2013 at 8:39:56 AM permalink
I rely on the call when the dice are at the other end of the table. It's pretty far for my bleary eyes. Also, I'm usually running the possible payouts and presses through my mind should my different bets hit, so I'm not always fixated on following the roll.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 27th, 2013 at 8:52:26 AM permalink
a lot of times seems to me more than half the players don't have much on the line with the shooter. The big bets are on hardways, midnight, etc.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
GiorgioFromYuma
GiorgioFromYuma
  • Threads: 2
March 29th, 2013 at 9:48:20 PM permalink
I don't cheer and it bothers me when people do. Especially the tourists that are hooting and hollering with their 5 dollar pass line bet with no odds like they just won the lottery. It really gets on me when I'm trying to roll the dice and I have people patting me on the back and screaming at me, after I only made two points in a row. If you must celebrate, it should only be at the end of an epic 30+ roll imo.
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
March 30th, 2013 at 5:12:16 PM permalink
Quote: GiorgioFromYuma

I don't cheer and it bothers me when people do. Especially the tourists that are hooting and hollering with their 5 dollar pass line bet with no odds like they just won the lottery. It really gets on me when I'm trying to roll the dice and I have people patting me on the back and screaming at me, after I only made two points in a row. If you must celebrate, it should only be at the end of an epic 30+ roll imo.

I disagree. If these folks are having fun let them scream. I can't understand the invasion of your personal bubble and people touching. But hey it's a game, a game should be for entertainment and if that $5 win is entertaining then let them have their fun.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
March 30th, 2013 at 5:17:54 PM permalink
You are missing out if you can't hoot and holler for a $5 win.

I pity the fool who plays for anything besides having a good time and gets angry at those who are happy (because they aren't). If you can learn to have a good time even when you lose money, it's a much easier game than only enjoying your wins and pretending it doesn't bother you when you lose, only getting angry at those who won so little money it wouldn't help your situation.

If it bothers you other people winning so little money they don't have a right to be happy, you may in fact have a problem.
aahigh.com
  • Jump to: