Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 48
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
April 4th, 2021 at 6:49:12 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Thanks for saying so! I think you might like my article if you haven't read it.

He did dig in his heels and was astoundingly wrong. He'll hardly be the first person who was ever erroneously convinced of the rightness of his own positions.

Think about it this way: At the time, card counting was a relatively new concept. As mentioned, Thorp was one of the first people to become a well-known card counter (if not the first) and write about it. On the other hand, gambling systems have existed probably since gambling. Scarne probably thought of card counting as a sort of gambling system, so he set about trying to disprove it from the position that it was absolutely untrue.

Anyway, that's the sort of thing that's going to happen sometimes when you investigate a question already being firmly on one side or the other. You make omissions or outright mistakes. You fail to be objective. Well, now you have to defend what you have done---lots of people double down in that situation. The brain is all but hard-wired not to want to be wrong about stuff, psyche tends not to like that, especially when, like Scarne, you're considered an expert in the field.

I tend to think that's basically what happened. He either did not reinvestigate the question of deck composition thoroughly enough, or he simply couldn't bring himself to admit that he was massively wrong about something math-related.

Either way, still doesn't discredit everything he ever did.

I have read most of Scarneís books he had a very interesting life and I agree with you that much of his work was very good and his anecdotes were very enjoyable.
I had a friend who was taught card mechanics by Scarne and he had many great stories about him.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 9
Mission146
April 4th, 2021 at 8:32:38 AM permalink
Interesting thread. Id like to learn more about deck compositions.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
April 4th, 2021 at 9:01:17 AM permalink
Quote: moses

Interesting thread. Id like to learn more about deck compositions.

Ha!

If I could go back in time, perhaps Iíd be able to get the rudiments down to Scarne if he was willing to listen to me.

As far as you go, thereís nothing I could teach you about Blackjack that you donít know already.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 4th, 2021 at 9:11:20 AM permalink
I watched the movie, Croupier (British 1998), last night on Netflix. The protagonist, played by Clive Owen, was buying Scarne On Cards in a bookstore in one scene. Book can be seen @ 53:10 on NF. Funny/weird that a thread would start and I would see Scarne's name in the movie.
IMDB mentions this in the trivia section:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159382/trivia
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 202
April 4th, 2021 at 9:33:23 AM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

I watched the movie, Croupier (British 1998), last night on Netflix. The protagonist, played by Clive Owen, was buying Scarne On Cards in a bookstore in one scene. Book can be seen @ 53:10 on NF. Funny/weird that a thread would start and I would see Scarne's name in the movie.
IMDB mentions this in the trivia section:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159382/trivia

It's all part of the matrix.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
moses
moses
Mission146
April 4th, 2021 at 9:35:10 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Ha!

If I could go back in time, perhaps Iíd be able to get the rudiments down to Scarne if he was willing to listen to me.

As far as you go, thereís nothing I could teach you about Blackjack that you donít know already.

Thanks M. Thorp was about Ratio of what has been played vs what still remains to be played. Very effective with deep pen.

Griffin seemed to revolutionize card counting primarily with his theory on Effect of Removal. Many books were published and stategies developed off his theory.

Then Don S came along and simplified it all when he developed SCORE.

Form all the books written, we can all agree the 8 is neutral. Im not seeing the value of the 2 either. A neutral 2 would have minimized theories a good bit. One could make a case for the 6 being closer to the EorR of the 5.

If this is too much. It's okay to delete. No harm. No foul.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 4th, 2021 at 9:54:12 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

It's all part of the matrix.

Deja Vu
The Algorithm
Apophenia most likely:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 202
April 4th, 2021 at 10:18:01 AM permalink
Apopthany.
I can't wait to use that in a sentence.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
moses
moses
April 4th, 2021 at 10:39:10 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Apopthany.
I can't wait to use that in a sentence.

You want the thoup or the thalad?

Hmmm. I believe I'll have thoup.😨

Would you rather have apopthany beer?

No. Beer is fine.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
April 4th, 2021 at 1:12:18 PM permalink
Or perhaps Scarne immediately saw the opportunity and wanted to keep it hush so he tried to flag it out of existence.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try

• Jump to: