Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 131
August 17th, 2017 at 1:20:02 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

You're more or less required to hand over your ID to the police if they have reasonable suspicion that you've committed a crime.

The casino can't compel you to produce ID under any circumstance.


Yes that's why Maryland Live employs Anne Arundel county police on sight, to do their dirty work. This happened to me. Maryland Live doesn't like winners, or in my case, losers either. They trapped me in a restaurant and demanded ID. When I said no and that I was leaving, they called for the police. They continued to press me and when I continued to refuse they eventually let me walk out. I passed the cop when I was walking out. Maryland casino's are the only ones that I have seen that employ police on sight. Maryland casino's do not like winners.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 11932
August 17th, 2017 at 1:51:26 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

Yes that's why Maryland Live employs Anne Arundel county police on sight, to do their dirty work. This happened to me. Maryland Live doesn't like winners, or in my case, losers either. They trapped me in a restaurant and demanded ID. When I said no and that I was leaving, they called for the police. They continued to press me and when I continued to refuse they eventually let me walk out. I passed the cop when I was walking out. Maryland casino's are the only ones that I have seen that employ police on sight. Maryland casino's do not like winners.


All three Detroit casino have Detroit Police on site. Greektown also has Transit Police for the people mover station.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 2402
August 17th, 2017 at 1:55:47 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

Yes that's why Maryland Live employs Anne Arundel county police on sight, to do their dirty work. This happened to me. Maryland Live doesn't like winners, or in my case, losers either. They trapped me in a restaurant and demanded ID. When I said no and that I was leaving, they called for the police. They continued to press me and when I continued to refuse they eventually let me walk out. I passed the cop when I was walking out. Maryland casino's are the only ones that I have seen that employ police on sight. Maryland casino's do not like winners.


Maryland Live and Delaware park have to be two of the sweatiest casinos on the east coast. I'd never press my luck at either.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 174
August 17th, 2017 at 5:40:57 PM permalink
How is it possible that they did not allow him to cash in his chips? How is it also possible that nobody on this thread asked about it?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 2402
August 17th, 2017 at 7:53:34 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

How is it possible that they did not allow him to cash in his chips? How is it also possible that nobody on this thread asked about it?


I think it's somewhat common to get barred from cashing out when trespassed in many jurisdictions. Gaming regulations don't always favor the player as much in other areas compared to Nevada.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 121
  • Posts: 14577
Thanks for this post from:
RigondeauxZenKinGRomes
August 17th, 2017 at 8:35:47 PM permalink
I keep hearing people saying NO and refusing to give ID when asked.

Just curious, unless you want to get backroom or hassled when asked for ID why would anyone just say, NO? Why not just say, "I didn't know I looked that young, thanks, sure hold on." Then pretend to check. With a puzzled look on your face, just say, "Oh, sh*t I must have left it in the car/home or lost it? Saying NO just pisses them off and makes you look guilty of something.

Don't start spouting you know the law and telling them they can't do this or that etc. If they don't seem to want to let you leave, simply say "I feel very uncomfortable here, so I just want to leave."
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 56
  • Posts: 7360
August 17th, 2017 at 10:07:44 PM permalink
I don't think I've ever flat out said "no" to being ID'd. I usually look through the wallet and say it must be in my car or room or whatever.

Actually I've flat out said "no", but both times were because I was leaving anyway and it was some dumba** security or cocktail waitress hounding me for walking through the casino.
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake. If the way is hazy. You gotta do the cookin' by the book. You know you can't be lazy. Never use a messy recipe. The cake will end up crazy. If you do the cookin' by the book. Then you'll have a... Break it down! Lemme see you bake it up! Drop that down low and pick that up. Break it down! Lemme see you bake it up! Drop that down low and pick that up Now back that Hey! Now back that. Hey! Now bake that. Hey! Now bake that. Hey! It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake (WHAT!) If the way is hazy (OKAY!) You gotta do the cookin' by the book, (WHAT!) You know you can't be lazy (YEAH!) Never use a messy recipe, (WHAT!) The cake will end up crazy (OKAY!) If you do the cookin' by the book, (YEEAAHHHH!) Then you'll have a...cake! Rub that, it's yours! Grab this, it's yours! Rub that, it's yours! Grab this, it's yours! Now turn around, put that on. Grind, make it get a little bigger! Now turn around, put that on. Grind, make it get a little bigger! You gotta do the cookin' by the book! HEY!
ZenKinG
ZenKinG
Joined: May 3, 2016
  • Threads: 43
  • Posts: 1146
August 18th, 2017 at 1:30:54 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I keep hearing people saying NO and refusing to give ID when asked.

Just curious, unless you want to get backroom or hassled when asked for ID why would anyone just say, NO? Why not just say, "I didn't know I looked that young, thanks, sure hold on." Then pretend to check. With a puzzled look on your face, just say, "Oh, sh*t I must have left it in the car/home or lost it? Saying NO just pisses them off and makes you look guilty of something.

Don't start spouting you know the law and telling them they can't do this or that etc. If they don't seem to want to let you leave, simply say "I feel very uncomfortable here, so I just want to leave."



I agree and have learned the hard way. Back in PA, i used the 'no thanks', and it bit me. Even if you just keep refusing, all it does its bring unwanted attention to yourself. I then learned the best way is to just say you dont have it. It doesnt show any guilt or that you're trying to hide something and then they have to just let you leave. It's a win win.

The problem with this approach though is if you were asked by a dealer beforehand for ID to play and so they KNOW that you have ID on you. Be careful not to say you dont have ID if you already gave it to a dealer or pit boss before playing.
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." ----- Thomas Jefferson
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 203
  • Posts: 2958
August 18th, 2017 at 1:04:17 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Officer Douglas Bilter and Officer Kyle Shapelow, who are also employed by the casino as security, were the responding officers. When they arrived, the officers incorrectly informed Mills that card counting was in fact illegal, and he was required to provide ID to the casino or he would be arrested.

..........

The court also decided that Officer Douglas Bilter and Officer Kyle Shapelow may be held liable for violating Mill's constitutional rights, as they "had abandoned any investigative or law enforcement purpose and were acting for the casino's private purposes only", which was compounded by the fact that the casino is their secondary employer.


Absolutely (and obviously) unacceptable for cops to lie to the public. If they don't know, they should.....

a) check on it.

b) give the citizen the benefit of the doubt.

b) have been paying attention during training. It was no surprise to the police dept that a casino had opened.

If they weren't trained on basic casino rules, then the chief of police is at fault.

ALSO, obviously the Casino is at fault for allowing the cops to lie when the casino knew better.
Yes we are, we are a band. I'm in a band.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 5133
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
August 18th, 2017 at 1:11:48 PM permalink
IN NYC and on Long Island, cops are allowed to work as security while off duty in most places, but can't work in the Precinct that they are assigned to, just to avoid such situations. How can anybody expect the cops to side with a citizen against the people who sign their paychecks. Allowing the local cops to moonlight there is just asking for trouble. At least some of the blame goes to the cops superiors who allowed such a thing to happen.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way

  • Jump to: