Poll

6 votes (50%)
4 votes (33.33%)
2 votes (16.66%)

12 members have voted

Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 11932
Thanks for this post from:
DeMango
August 12th, 2017 at 2:35:51 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I read it as Collo-Nell every time


If Don S. was alive at the time, I'm sure he'd set the person straight.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
sixsisters
sixsisters
Joined: Jul 11, 2017
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 94
August 12th, 2017 at 2:40:17 PM permalink
Not about millenial but also about millenials. What did not exist 10 years ago and now 98% of millenials probably have a version of it ???

CLUE " "This is only the beginning."
"Apple reinvents the phone." "
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 54
  • Posts: 6938
August 12th, 2017 at 4:48:18 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I read it as Collo-Nell every time


This is the proper pronunciation. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
#TeamNathan
Nathan
Nathan 
Joined: Sep 2, 2016
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 1626
August 12th, 2017 at 5:00:25 PM permalink
Well, I was born in 1984, so according to Google, I am Generation Y. My mother and father who were born in the 60's are Generation X. Generation Z are the people who were born in the 90's-2000s, and very young people(children under 7) are Generation Alpha. :)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 519
August 13th, 2017 at 6:10:16 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Generation X is just that . Its the tenth generation of Americans. Somebody decided Roman numerals just sounded better than GenTen.



I don't think so...

Origin of term "Generation X"

Quote: Wikipedia

The term acquired its modern definition after the release of Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture, a 1991 novel written by Canadian author Douglas Coupland. Demographer Neil Howe noted the delay in naming this demographic cohort saying, "Over 30 years after their birthday, they didn't have a name. I think that's germane." Previously, the cohort had been referred to as Post-Boomers, Baby Busters, New Lost Generation, Latch-key kids, MTV Generation, and the 13th Generation (they were described as the 13th generation since American independence).



And, who is the "somebody" making decisions about whether or not Roman numerals sound better? Source, please.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1069
  • Posts: 18052
August 13th, 2017 at 7:25:34 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Generation X is just that . Its the tenth generation of Americans. Somebody decided Roman numerals just sounded better than GenTen.



I didn't know that. I previously thought it was the algebraic unknown kind of x, as in Malcolm X, because they were hard to stereotype.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 106
  • Posts: 4578
August 14th, 2017 at 2:22:42 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

I don't think so...

Origin of term "Generation X"

Quote: Wikipedia

The term acquired its modern definition after the release of Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture, a 1991 novel written by Canadian author Douglas Coupland. Demographer Neil Howe noted the delay in naming this demographic cohort saying, "Over 30 years after their birthday, they didn't have a name. I think that's germane." Previously, the cohort had been referred to as Post-Boomers, Baby Busters, New Lost Generation, Latch-key kids, MTV Generation, and the 13th Generation (they were described as the 13th generation since American independence).



And, who is the "somebody" making decisions about whether or not Roman numerals sound better? Source, please.



The author of the very book you site, or maybe his editors. Read it and you'll see how he struggled to come up with the name and how he decided on the Roman numeral. Generations are roughly 20 years, although they are getting longer. People born after 1776 will have had roughly ten generations of descendants when the Bicentennial occurred. The only generation that had even a semi official title was the baby boomers.
Until Generation X and the Greatest Generation came out in a relatively short time, generations just weren't a thing. Just another thing to divide and label people.
I remember asking my Mother what generation she was. She answered they didn't have generations back then. They couldn't afford them.
Last edited by: billryan on Aug 14, 2017
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 286
  • Posts: 7792
August 14th, 2017 at 4:41:26 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

my Mother... answered they didn't have generations back then. They couldn't afford them.



That's pretty funny, but I always thought the "Lost Generation" started this whole thing. Maybe there were named generations before it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Generation
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Neutrino
Neutrino
Joined: Feb 20, 2014
  • Threads: 84
  • Posts: 515
August 14th, 2017 at 5:26:11 PM permalink
I don't see a CSM in that picture of easyjack so I assume this is hella easy to card count

  • Jump to: