Thread Rating:

Kellynbnf
Kellynbnf
  • Threads: 15
May 1st, 2011 at 8:32:10 AM permalink
Quote: Kellynbnf

I think I have an explanation on why 16 vs. 7 is clearly a hit, while 16 vs. 10 is borderline:
With the former the most likely dealer final hand is 17, so if you manage to pull anything from a 2-5 the odds will then be strongly in your favor.
With the latter the most likely dealer final hand is 20, so even if you dodge busting you are less likely to end up ultimately winning; thus you become more inclined to stay and hope for a bust.

Here's a bit of interesting information that I once asked somewhere else: Overall, are you better off (independent of what your hand actually is) if the dealer shows a 2 or a 7?

Edit: teddys beat me by a bit over a minute posting a similar explanation.

Edit again: I accidentally quoted my message instead of editing it.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 291
May 1st, 2011 at 8:46:30 AM permalink
Quote: Kellynbnf

Here's a bit of interesting information that I once asked somewhere else: Overall, are you better off (independent of what your hand actually is) if the dealer shows a 2 or a 7?

the WoO has a chart that will give the answer, but without looking at that, considering the typical Basic Strat. decision, I would have to guess 7 is worse.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Acoplander1
Acoplander1
  • Threads: 5
May 1st, 2011 at 12:38:11 PM permalink
I'll take the dealer showing a 7 rather than a 2 anyday. In fact, I'll take an 8 over a 2 as well.

• Jump to: