Rio481
Rio481
Joined: Mar 11, 2016
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 50
April 27th, 2016 at 10:26:14 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Agree Rio, but you aren't playing them, I won't play them and I am sure there are others...our play counts somewhere in the overall numbers and my play has been headed downtown and will continue there as long as I can find 3:2 BJ. And if it disappears in Vegas, I'll play craps & other options while in Vegas and just play BJ at my home casinos in So Cal. We got options, let's use them and see what happens.



Agreed. But unfortunately I think that whatever business they're losing to you, me, and likeminded gamblers is more than offset by the additional revenue they're collecting from the increased house edge. And I think our numbers are so small in relation to the masses that play these games that we're just lost in the noise.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 11216
April 27th, 2016 at 10:31:40 PM permalink
It's also one thing when the suckers are betting table minimum on these games. It's a another when I see them betting large sums on it.
Rio481
Rio481
Joined: Mar 11, 2016
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 50
April 27th, 2016 at 11:02:03 PM permalink
Quote: RenoGambler

Rio, please tell me you're wrong about this. Unfortunately, I'm cynical enough to believe you're probably right. The 6:5 disease is also starting to spread to Reno, although it's still limited to a few downtown casinos. I try to tell anyone who will listen to stay away.



There were a couple optimistic signs during my last trip.
1) Even though it's been several years now since 6:5 was introduced it still seems to be contained to just the low limit tables. Evidence to support my theory that the strip casinos can't cost justify $5 - $10 tables without going to 6:5.
2) I found some good red chip games at a very nice off-strip resort, including a $10 DD game.
Rio481
Rio481
Joined: Mar 11, 2016
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 50
April 27th, 2016 at 11:05:55 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

It's also one thing when the suckers are betting table minimum on these games. It's a another when I see them betting large sums on it.



That was the most discouraging part. . . Seeing folks packed into a $10 6:5 table playing strictly green/black when the $25 3:2 table just across the aisle was empty.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 78
  • Posts: 9462
April 28th, 2016 at 5:12:51 AM permalink
Quote: Rio481

That was the most discouraging part. . . Seeing folks packed into a $10 6:5 table playing strictly green/black when the $25 3:2 table just across the aisle was empty.



I think that's because a lot of people play for the social aspect, not for the best chance of winning. So they won't open a table, they'll join other players.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 11216
April 28th, 2016 at 8:42:25 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think that's because a lot of people play for the social aspect, not for the best chance of winning. So they won't open a table, they'll join other players.


My last time at Soaring Eagle, a guy had the $10 6:5 SD game "reserved" and playing alone with his gf watching. He was betting $300 a hand. I watched in disgust for about 10 minutes.
Rio481
Rio481
Joined: Mar 11, 2016
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 50
April 28th, 2016 at 11:25:59 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

My last time at Soaring Eagle, a guy had the $10 6:5 SD game "reserved" and playing alone with his gf watching. He was betting $300 a hand. I watched in disgust for about 10 minutes.



Yikes!! So how did he fare over that 10 minute span?
Rio481
Rio481
Joined: Mar 11, 2016
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 50
April 28th, 2016 at 11:30:47 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think that's because a lot of people play for the social aspect, not for the best chance of winning. So they won't open a table, they'll join other players.



Sure, I play socially sometimes as well. I have no problem sitting down at $5 CSM table with some friends just to have some fun. But why not bet table minimum to extend your play / minimize your losses? I have to assume folks just think the short pay isn't a big deal. Or worse yet, don't even understand that 6:5 is a short pay.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 11216
April 28th, 2016 at 11:31:41 AM permalink
Quote: Rio481

Yikes!! So how did he fare over that 10 minute span?


He was holding his own. I only saw one blackjack and that's when I left shaking my head. I can't justify letting the casino keep $90 on a $300 blackjack.
Rio481
Rio481
Joined: Mar 11, 2016
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 50
April 28th, 2016 at 11:41:10 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

He was holding his own. I only saw one blackjack and that's when I left shaking my head. I can't justify letting the casino keep $90 on a $300 blackjack.



True. I can somewhat see letting them keep $3 on a $10 Blackjack if you just don't have the bankroll and are playing recreationally. Still wouldn't do it myself when I can find better options, but I get it. But if I were plunking down $300/hand at a Blackjack table I think I'd take the time to educate myself just a little bit and play smart. Just pick up a BS card from the gift shop and avoid 6:5. Very little investment to protect some of your entertainment dollars.

  • Jump to: