Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
February 17th, 2014 at 9:41:09 PM permalink
I'm making the switch from hi-lo to Omega 2. Is there a difference in the illustrious 18 using this?
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
Kellynbnf
Kellynbnf
  • Threads: 15
February 18th, 2014 at 5:49:27 AM permalink
The index numbers would vary between systems (especially with systems of a different level), but I believe the hands in question are the same.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 6:36:43 AM permalink
Alright. I'm wondering because my friend is asking about when to take insurance. He feels hi-lo determines how many tens are left in a shoe while omega 2 does not.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
February 18th, 2014 at 6:45:10 AM permalink
Insurance Correlation (IC) for Omega-2 is 0.85.

On the other hand, why are you switching to Omega2? ???
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 6:49:29 AM permalink
I'm mentally capable of switching to a more complicated system without errors. I was considering Zen but I feel tracking the nines is important.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 6:57:56 AM permalink
I did some searching and apparently the new index numbers are in Blackjack for Blood. Must find a PDF of that or something.
RS
RS
February 18th, 2014 at 7:26:36 AM permalink
I don't think there's going to be much accessible info on Omega2. If you're playing pitch games and already know Zen, then side count 9's if they offer surrender, if not, then SC 7's. In the end, your system doesn't really matter, especially if you're playing shoe games. But going from one system to another similar system is not going to change a thing.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 9:01:23 AM permalink
I was told in another thread that Resorts in AC has incredible blackjack rules. I'm going tomorrow to check it out. If it turns out to not be true I'm gonna just stick to poker lol.

If I can't find adjusted I18, I will stick to Hilo as well. As you guys said it doesn't matter that much and it's far more important to have the strategy changes down.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 18th, 2014 at 9:07:09 AM permalink
Quote: Lemieux66

I was told in another thread that Resorts in AC has incredible blackjack rules. I'm going tomorrow to check it out. If it turns out to not be true I'm gonna just stick to poker lol.

If I can't find adjusted I18, I will stick to Hilo as well. As you guys said it doesn't matter that much and it's far more important to have the strategy changes down.

Incredible to what you may be used to but nowhere near what I would call incredible. The S17 games that I told you about are 8 deck with no surrender. I want to be sure you understand that. Good cards to you!
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 9:29:04 AM permalink
Well it's still a solid upgrade. The only times I ever went to Resorts were the rare times the Greyhound drops me off there. Lol
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
February 18th, 2014 at 2:22:42 PM permalink

I'm mentally capable of switching to a more complicated system without errors. I was considering Zen but I feel tracking the nines is important.

As an experienced player, please allow me to express my earnest opinion that tracking the 9 is not important. Although it can allow for a tiny net gain overall, it will decrease insurance correlation. Switching from hi-lo to Omega is a giant leap forward. The main weakness in hi-lo is ignoring the 7.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 2:30:29 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

As an experienced player, please allow me to express my earnest opinion that tracking the 9 is not important. Although it can allow for a tiny net gain overall, it will decrease insurance correlation. Switching from hi-lo to Omega is a giant leap forward. The main weakness in hi-lo is ignoring the 7.

So use Zen? Even still, I need to find the index number change.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 18th, 2014 at 2:50:09 PM permalink

Dude, any count system has a primary source. Omega 2 is detailed in Blackjack for Blood. Zen in Blackbelt in Blackjack.

If you want the indices, just buy the damn books. You might be able to find them on the internet, but the authors probably try to keep it under wraps as much as possible.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 2:53:22 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Dude, any count system has a primary source. Omega 2 is detailed in Blackjack for Blood. Zen in Blackbelt in Blackjack.

If you want the indices, just buy the damn books. You might be able to find them on the internet, but the authors probably try to keep it under wraps as much as possible.

I'm incredibly cheap.
1BB
1BB
February 18th, 2014 at 2:53:43 PM permalink

I was just going to suggest Snyder's book. I'm pretty sure the Zen information is online with a little looking.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
February 18th, 2014 at 2:56:26 PM permalink

I like Revere or the similar Chamberliss count. But yes, I would recommend Zen. Although they are not exact and I have never seen them, I can guarantee you the indices for Zen will be extremely similar to the ones for hi-lo, except they will be multiplied by 2. Using them would do you no harm.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 2:57:20 PM permalink
Easy enough.
RS
RS
February 18th, 2014 at 3:00:05 PM permalink
Type "zen indices" on Google and check the first link.
http://blackjackforumonline.com/content/Zen_Count_Indices.htm
1BB
1BB
February 18th, 2014 at 3:03:56 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Type "zen indices" on Google and check the first link.
http://blackjackforumonline.com/content/Zen_Count_Indices.htm

There it is. That's the one I was thinking of.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 18th, 2014 at 3:06:26 PM permalink

I'm incredibly cheap.

I feel you, I'm incredibly cheap too. But when you're talking about gambling and specifically AP, information is worth spending money on. I hate spending money but I probably have 15 books on gambling.
1BB
1BB
February 18th, 2014 at 3:10:19 PM permalink

I feel you, I'm incredibly cheap too. But when you're talking about gambling and specifically AP, information is worth spending money on. I hate spending money but I probably have 15 books on gambling.

I just can't resist. Do you tip the dealers, Lemieux66?
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 3:12:01 PM permalink

Well I have a lot of Texas hold 'em books. I feel those are more worthwhile than blackjack ones because there's a lot more complexity in poker. I feel the math is the math in blackjack and I just need the answers most of the time.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 3:15:14 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I just can't resist. Do you tip the dealers, Lemieux66?

If I win something significant(over 200 dollars) I give 5 dollars. Sometimes before I color up I count my chips and say I have 1212.50 I'm probably gonna hide 10 bucks and give the dealer one pink lol

If I lose, nothing. During the play of blackjack, even if I win a big hand, nothing. Only at the end! If I win.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 18th, 2014 at 3:59:59 PM permalink

If I win something significant(over 200 dollars) I give 5 dollars. Sometimes before I color up I count my chips and say I have 1212.50 I'm probably gonna hide 10 bucks and give the dealer one pink lol

If I lose, nothing. During the play of blackjack, even if I win a big hand, nothing. Only at the end! If I win.

Even though I think that he should buy the books as well, in fairness, he has a point. At the red-chip level, $25 on a book is a significant expense. And, controlling expenses is critical to winning at that level.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 4:07:55 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Even though I think that he should buy the books as well, in fairness, he has a point. At the red-chip level, $25 on a book is a significant expense. And, controlling expenses is critical to winning at that level.

Here is a gigantic example of how cheap I am. At the Borgata, they have this small little eatery named Bread and Butter. If you get your food to stay, they bring it to you. Just bring it to you, that's it. I would say that is worth a dollar. I always get my food to go.
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
February 18th, 2014 at 4:21:28 PM permalink

I always get my food to go.

LOL
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 18th, 2014 at 4:36:27 PM permalink
Oh and there was a time I got it "to go" and then took a table anyway. But hey, they didn't bring it to me!
RS
RS
February 19th, 2014 at 1:20:53 AM permalink

At the red-chip level, $25 on a book is a significant expense. And, controlling expenses is critical to winning at that level.

$25 is a significant expense? What's your EV, $5/hour? Generally speaking, the book will pay for itself in due time. BJ isn't "just about the math" -- actually, that's a tiny part of it. If you want to survive, you first learn the science then later master the art.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 19th, 2014 at 5:16:32 AM permalink

$25 is a significant expense? What's your EV, $5/hour? Generally speaking, the book will pay for itself in due time. BJ isn't "just about the math" -- actually, that's a tiny part of it. If you want to survive, you first learn the science then later master the art.

You don't need the "why" in blackjack, just knowledge of what exactly to do in all spots. A long book isn't needed because I am sure a ton of that is repeated information.
rob45
rob45
  • Threads: 2
February 19th, 2014 at 7:03:44 AM permalink

You don't need the "why" in blackjack, just knowledge of what exactly to do in all spots. A long book isn't needed because I am sure a ton of that is repeated information.

The books are an investment.
Frugality is to be expected; excuses are not.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 19th, 2014 at 10:10:25 AM permalink
In blackjack, you need the "what to do". In poker, you need the "why" because there are multiple reasons. The "why" in blackjack is because it wins more.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
February 19th, 2014 at 11:00:40 AM permalink

Actually I think that the "why" is really useful because of unexpected situations that come up. Eg, a dealer makes an error and the floor gives you the option of playing your hand or pulling your bet back. Do you know which hands to play?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 19th, 2014 at 11:14:32 AM permalink

Actually I think that the "why" is really useful because of unexpected situations that come up. Eg, a dealer makes an error and the floor gives you the option of playing your hand or pulling your bet back. Do you know which hands to play?

While I agree that is a useful bit of information, it's not really going to help the cause of getting Lemieux66 to be less of a miser and shell out for just one blackjack book :). Because most standard books on counting don't contain a lot of information about situations like this. The Big Book of Blackjack by Snyder I believe has correct strategy for when you can see both dealer cards (i.e. hole-card strategy).

I agree; and as to the finer points of card counting and getting away with it, Ian Andersen's books are great. The first one is dated but still a good read. The second one is also getting dated (published 2003) but has a great section on succeeding at mid level (i.e. green-chip) counting.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 19th, 2014 at 11:15:31 AM permalink
Also, one last point; if you have CVData or CVCX (I don't remember which package as I have both), you can generate your own indexes for a given counting system. And that piece of software is very useful for any card counter.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
February 19th, 2014 at 11:21:22 AM permalink

While I agree that is a useful bit of information, it's not really going to help the cause of getting Lemieux66 to be less of a miser and shell out for just one blackjack book :). Because most standard books on counting don't contain a lot of information about situations like this. The Big Book of Blackjack by Snyder I believe has correct strategy for when you can see both dealer cards (i.e. hole-card strategy).

My point is, its worthwhile to understand the game. Reading lots about the game helps.

FWIW, I was really disappointed with Big Book of Blackjack. I dunno what it is about Snyder. Sometimes I read his stuff and I'm amazed by its brilliance; other times I read it and I wonder how this guy could possibly be a professional gambler. Eg, his advice about taking even money on blackjacks (in BBoB) is mind-boggling. He then goes on to try to support his position by quoting something from Griffin completely out of context and showing that he doesn't understand it.

I've often wondered -- does Snyder actually understand and do the math, or does he get others to do it for him? What's his background?
rob45
rob45
  • Threads: 2
February 19th, 2014 at 11:24:57 AM permalink

Well I have a lot of Texas hold 'em books. I feel those are more worthwhile than blackjack ones because there's a lot more complexity in poker. I feel the math is the math in blackjack and I just need the answers most of the time.

Quote: rob45

The books are an investment.
Frugality is to be expected; excuses are not.

In blackjack, you need the "what to do". In poker, you need the "why" because there are multiple reasons. The "why" in blackjack is because it wins more.

Please do not mistake me (or any of the other posters) for being facetious.
There is more to Blackjack than action and reaction ("what to do"); there is certainly plenty of reason ("why").

You seem to have the impression that the only reason (the "why") is increased profit.
Study and comparison of the various systems can help you find those answers, but will not address other important issues.

Will any particular system give you information regarding preservation?
Will the system itself provide instruction on camouflage/cover techniques?
Will the system itself provide information on how to become proficient with the system? (Counting drills, shortcuts and tricks, etc.) Some do, some don't.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 19th, 2014 at 11:50:46 AM permalink

My point is, its worthwhile to understand the game. Reading lots about the game helps.

FWIW, I was really disappointed with Big Book of Blackjack. I dunno what it is about Snyder. Sometimes I read his stuff and I'm amazed by its brilliance; other times I read it and I wonder how this guy could possibly be a professional gambler. Eg, his advice about taking even money on blackjacks (in BBoB) is mind-boggling. He then goes on to try to support his position by quoting something from Griffin completely out of context and showing that he doesn't understand it.

I've often wondered -- does Snyder actually understand and do the math, or does he get others to do it for him? What's his background?

I don't recall that section from BBoBJ. Was the suggestion made to lower variance or something? If you are straight counting, there doesn't seem to be any reason to take even money other than if the count mandates it, or you are making a cover play.

I enjoyed parts of BBoBJ. The history was amusing; I skipped the parts on Red 7 since I had already read Blackbelt.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
February 19th, 2014 at 11:52:32 AM permalink

I don't recall that section from BBoBJ. Was the suggestion made to lower variance or something? If you are straight counting, there doesn't seem to be any reason to take even money other than if the count mandates it, or you are making a cover play.

No, he was talking about doing it to meet his weekend win goals.
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
February 19th, 2014 at 12:08:07 PM permalink

No, he was talking about doing it to meet his weekend win goals.

I haven't read it for a few months now but if memory serves...

He was describing a trip from early in his career. He had huge bets out for him at the time and decided to dodge the variance. I can look it up when I go home this afternoon.

The moral of his story was that insurance does not cost a ton on EV and sometime you might rather trade a bit of EV for reduced Var.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
February 19th, 2014 at 1:14:38 PM permalink
I tend to disagree with the majority here, and take the view that if you do not want a book then do not buy it. The most important information is free. You can look at the wizard's site to learn correct hole-card play or dealer error play, why would you need a book? You don't need to know why, you need to what--actually, close proximity to what to do is good enough since you are not a computer. Some people almost have a library. Any two decent books will repeat the same information; the differences will not be in the fundamentals. So while I think one book is good, I don't think a library is cost-effective. There are also books you can not so legally download if you bother.
I don't think being excessively skimpy on the tips is a good idea either if you are a regular. If you float from casino to casino, from shift to shift, then go ahead and be miserly.
I am not a fan of software for basically the same reason as books. If you need something specific and cannot find it, look it up in a book or buy software and drill yourself--if it is really worth it (but I fail to see that as likely for any novice, since only more advanced and/or precise tactics are not easily searchable). But will you remember everything if your goal is just to learn more? I did all my general reading online. Only after I exhausted the supply, did I turn to a book. On this forum, I ask questions. Books don't ever respond to my questions. It's kinda like 1st grade. When you were learning how to read, they didn't make you read a bunch of textbooks and tell you to absorb them...they just gave you a phonics workbook.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 19th, 2014 at 1:20:58 PM permalink
I prefer books. Never regretted one cent I ever spent for a book. But books are disappearing. Some college libraries are all digital now.

Was at daughter's house last weekend. I buy kids books at yards sales for all grand kids. My 6 year old granddaughter Gracie got a tablet
for Xmas. Chloe, her 4 year old sister asked Gracie to read a book to her. They sat next to each other on the couch. Gracie then selected a book on her tablet, and the tablet displayed colored picture and words as it read the book aloud for them.

The times, they are a changing !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 19th, 2014 at 1:30:46 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

I tend to disagree with the majority here, and take the view that if you do not want a book then do not buy it. The most important information is free. You can look at the wizard's site to learn correct hole-card play or dealer error play, why would you need a book? You don't need to know why, you need to what--actually, close proximity to what to do is good enough since you are not a computer. Some people almost have a library. Any two decent books will repeat the same information; the differences will not be in the fundamentals. So while I think one book is good, I don't think a library is cost-effective. There are also books you can not so legally download if you bother.
I don't think being excessively skimpy on the tips is a good idea either if you are a regular. If you float from casino to casino, from shift to shift, then go ahead and be miserly.
I am not a fan of software for basically the same reason as books. If you need something specific and cannot find it, look it up in a book or buy software and drill yourself--if it is really worth it (but I fail to see that as likely for any novice, since only more advanced and/or precise tactics are not easily searchable). But will you remember everything if your goal is just to learn more? I did all my general reading online. Only after I exhausted the supply, did I turn to a book. On this forum, I ask questions. Books don't ever respond to my questions. It's kinda like 1st grade. When you were learning how to read, they didn't make you read a bunch of textbooks and tell you to absorb them...they just gave you a phonics workbook.

THIS. I feel this way exactly.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 19th, 2014 at 1:32:01 PM permalink
On a side note, I wrote down some zen count index differences for if I play.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
February 19th, 2014 at 2:23:19 PM permalink

On a side note, I wrote down some zen count index differences for if I play.

I'm glad I could help. Getting better indices helps. For all others, you are quite safe adjusting hi-lo's to level 2. The difference between profit-maximization indices and risk-averse indices will be larger than the difference between indices for hi-lo and zen. So if you feel a makeshift double/split index is too low for zen, then you can safely raise it by 1.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 19th, 2014 at 2:23:56 PM permalink

THIS. I feel this way exactly.

I don't disagree with anything that he wrote. You don't need a library. I like having books so I have probably spent more than the ROI justifies.

My only point is that if you are looking for indices on a particular count system, then there is one place that you are guaranteed to find those indices: in the book where they were published!
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 19th, 2014 at 2:26:50 PM permalink
I might. I'm only bringing 1500, so I think blackjack might be out of the question unless poker goes incredibly well first. My intention is to crush it lol.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 19th, 2014 at 4:29:52 PM permalink
I see those tables at resorts! 1 is 25 minimum but the other 2 are 10. Oh man!
  • Jump to: