odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 326
September 5th, 2012 at 12:57:42 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Played 20 hands +1k

(down) 7500

Were you really unprepared to lose $7500 when you obviously bet big? Even if you had near 1% advantage in your play, you could have swings like that. And it sounds like you have little advantage or actually have negative expectation. It's one of the Wizard's commandments to expect to lose, you know.

I'm going to lay some 'tough love' on you, if you can say 10k is any real percentage of your net worth. If it is only 1 or 2%, and I'd say hopefully less than 1%, then you should be shrugging this off and skip reading the rest of this. If, however, 10k or so was the bankroll you brought and it is money you can't easily replace, then you have screwed up getting used to betting so big. It is going to be hard as hell to go down now to smaller bets, we're talking withdrawal symptoms now. I'd suggest some honest soul searching before you need professional help. It is possible you may have to conclude you shouldnt gamble at all. I'll say one thing, though, it is hard for us to admit it when we lose, even anonymously on this site, so the fact you can do that is good, maybe it shows you can defeat the denial problem many develop. Take cheer from that and here's hoping all goes well from here.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
September 5th, 2012 at 6:43:02 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Were you really unprepared to lose $7500 when you obviously bet big? Even if you had near 1% advantage in your play, you could have swings like that. And it sounds like you have little advantage or actually have negative expectation. It's one of the Wizard's commandments to expect to lose, you know.

I'm going to lay some 'tough love' on you, if you can say 10k is any real percentage of your net worth. If it is only 1 or 2%, and I'd say hopefully less than 1%, then you should be shrugging this off and skip reading the rest of this. If, however, 10k or so was the bankroll you brought and it is money you can't easily replace, then you have screwed up getting used to betting so big. It is going to be hard as hell to go down now to smaller bets, we're talking withdrawal symptoms now. I'd suggest some honest soul searching before you need professional help. It is possible you may have to conclude you shouldnt gamble at all. I'll say one thing, though, it is hard for us to admit it when we lose, even anonymously on this site, so the fact you can do that is good, maybe it shows you can defeat the denial problem many develop. Take cheer from that and here's hoping all goes well from here.

Odious - I will not be researching the best refrigerator boxes to live in anytime soon - it is merely the idea that I ignored logic and became emotional that really got to me - knowing what I did wrong and even realizing it in the moment and not stopping myself is what got to me the most - like I said in a previous post, I will take this as a hard lesson to learn that I had to learn, and move on to the next shoe.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 5th, 2012 at 7:55:13 AM permalink

Odious - I will not be researching the best refrigerator boxes to live in anytime soon - it is merely the idea that I ignored logic and became emotional that really got to me - knowing what I did wrong and even realizing it in the moment and not stopping myself is what got to me the most - like I said in a previous post, I will take this as a hard lesson to learn that I had to learn, and move on to the next shoe.

No worries. Happens to the best of us. I don't know anyone who hasn't gone on tilt unless you are some really big shot like Ivey, Brunson, or Shackleford :) Take a good break, work on your game, and get revenge next time :)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 5th, 2012 at 9:17:33 AM permalink
Everybody gets knocks down in the ring of life. It's a champion who gets ups and continues.

I do not classify you as a guy born on third base, who thinks he has hit a triple.

It easy when things are going your way to think you can get away with almost anything.

Luckily your nemesis was the man in the mirror.
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 5th, 2012 at 9:17:55 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

No worries. Happens to the best of us. I don't know anyone who hasn't gone on tilt unless you are some really big shot like Ivey, Brunson, or Shackleford :) Take a good break, work on your game, and get revenge next time :)

I just realized, and it is a small consolation, that I am actually still up 5k for 2012.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 5th, 2012 at 9:22:51 AM permalink

I just realized, an dit is a small consolation, that I am actually still up 5k for 2012

If that is bothersome, you can always loan me $5,000 till my brother straightens up. He is a hunch-back.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
September 5th, 2012 at 9:23:10 AM permalink

I just realized, an dit is a small consolation, that I am actually still up 5k for 2012

Very cool. However, If I win $500 one week and lose $200 the next I still feel like a $200 loser, so I understand your emotions here...
Vote for Nobody 2020!
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 5th, 2012 at 9:25:46 AM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

Very cool. However, If I win $500 one week and lose $200 the next I still feel like a $200 loser, so I understand your emotions here...

HAHA exactly bigfoot - but, I measure things by the year (usually)
it was not until I looked at my journal that I realized things were not as bad as they seemed
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 5th, 2012 at 9:43:52 AM permalink
But they could be so much better, except for a person we both know going on TILT. LOL
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 5th, 2012 at 9:45:20 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

But they could be so much better, except for a person we both know going on TILT. LOL

Indeed they could have...indeed!

But, I am learning as I go and learning from my mistakes
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 5th, 2012 at 9:48:29 AM permalink
That's the difference between a winner and a loser !
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 5th, 2012 at 11:53:19 AM permalink

I just realized, and it is a small consolation, that I am actually still up 5k for 2012.

Thats fine, if you keep your BR completely seperate
from your other money and you can take that 5K out
and hold it in your hand. If you're like most people,
though, who mix their BR with their knife and fork
money, that 5K is probably long gone. Money
management is what its all about, but most players
don't discover what thats about till its way too late.

You also have a rules problem, thats why you stayed
and played when you should have scooted out of there.
You have to have ironclad rules that you stick with 100%
of the time, or you'll always be spinning your wheels.

Thats why so many AP pro's find BJ boring, its because
they stick religiously to their rules and that means no
fun is involved. Because all the fun comes from the
emotion of gambling and when you follow your rules,
there can be no emotion involved.

Soopoo's a doctor that has a very important job, if he
makes a mistake his patient could die. Imagine if he
got emotionally involved in the life of every patient.
He wouldn't have a career.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 5th, 2012 at 11:57:48 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Thats fine, if you keep your BR completely seperate
from your other money and you can take that 5K out
and hold it in your hand. If you're like most people,
though, who mix their BR with their knife and fork
money, that 5K is probably long gone. Money
management is what its all about, but most players
don't discover what thats about till its way too late.

You also have a rules problem, thats why you stayed
and played when you should have scooted out of there.
You have to have ironclad rules that you stick with 100%
of the time, or you'll always be spinning your wheels.

Thats why so many AP pro's find BJ boring, its because
they stick religiously to their rules and that means no
fun is involved. Because all the fun comes from the
emotion of gambling and when you follow your rules,
there can be no emotion involved.

Soopoo's a doctor that has a very important job, if he
makes a mistake his patient could die. Imagine if he
got emotionally involved in the life of every patient.
He wouldn't have a career.

Bob - my BR is separate and apart from my "knife and fork money" so it is truly 5k.

As being a BJ player is not my profession - I suppose a slip now and then will happen
as for my main career, I do not allow emotions to get involved.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 5th, 2012 at 11:57:57 AM permalink
" He wouldn't have a career. " Perhaps he could take up where Dr. Kevorkian left off.
  • Jump to: