24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 5th, 2012 at 12:33:42 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Quote: jjjoooggg

Well I have yet to see a long streak of positive. Ive played 1** hours. Dealer had a sarcastic look whe I almost tripled my money in half an hour. I used cover bets. Two dealers laughed at me while i went through a long streak of negative variance while I was betting my top bet. I left with a $265 loss. But i was up at least double. Someone here said that he/she heard dealers talk badly behind our backs during a break. Another place I kept winning and I felt that the dealer didnt like me. I tipped him and he didnt say thanks.

jjoooggg, I've mentioned this several times already, but at your betting levels, cover bets are going to cost you more than your expected win! You can't afford to make cover bets unless your units are much higher than what you are playing, based on your posts. A pro with a $100 unit can afford cover because his expected win is much higher, and at that level he will be watched much more closely. With a $5 or $10 or even $25 unit, it's just not worth it. Best to keep your sessions short and leave after one big bet cycle win or lose.

...why would the amount of the bet matter? Wouldn't the cover bets scale perfectly with the yield?
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 5th, 2012 at 1:16:45 AM permalink
Quote: EdgeLooker

Kewlj,

If there is another AP at the same blackjack table with you, do you stay or leave? Also, same question for when and if other players realize you are a better player and adjust their bets based on yours. (Seeing the same players win consistently stands out to the regulars also)

I wouldn't recognize another counter at the table until the first time the count goes positive and we both begin to increase our wagers. Because I play short sessions and always exit after exposing my bet spread, I would be exiting at the shuffle anyway. But if this wasn't my normal strategy, I definitely would exit at the next shuffle after realizing their was another counter. Nothing good can come from two players raising and lower bets in unison. If one player doing so draws attention, two draws even more. There actually is a loose rule of counter etiquette, which says that the second counter to the table should leave, but like most things in life, that is not always followed.

I have never noticed other players following my lead as far as raising and lowering bets. With my short sessions strategy, I probably am not at the table long enough for them to perceive me as a good player. There was one time a few years ago in AC, when a dealer who was 'advising' a young couple on how to play, told them that they should raise or lower their bets when I did. He then gave me a cocky little smile. That was very disturbing.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 5th, 2012 at 4:09:53 AM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Quote: AcesAndEights

Quote: jjjoooggg

Well I have yet to see a long streak of positive. Ive played 1** hours. Dealer had a sarcastic look whe I almost tripled my money in half an hour. I used cover bets. Two dealers laughed at me while i went through a long streak of negative variance while I was betting my top bet. I left with a $265 loss. But i was up at least double. Someone here said that he/she heard dealers talk badly behind our backs during a break. Another place I kept winning and I felt that the dealer didnt like me. I tipped him and he didnt say thanks.

jjoooggg, I've mentioned this several times already, but at your betting levels, cover bets are going to cost you more than your expected win! You can't afford to make cover bets unless your units are much higher than what you are playing, based on your posts. A pro with a $100 unit can afford cover because his expected win is much higher, and at that level he will be watched much more closely. With a $5 or $10 or even $25 unit, it's just not worth it. Best to keep your sessions short and leave after one big bet cycle win or lose.

...why would the amount of the bet matter? Wouldn't the cover bets scale perfectly with the yield?

Yes they would. There are several cover plays that cost just pennies on a $100 bet. I don't make cover plays. I prefer a cover act and short sessions.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
August 5th, 2012 at 10:12:12 AM permalink
Cover play could be doubling your min bet or putting a red chip on top of min bet. When count turns positive after I win, I place my win on top of the original bet to double. It's not exactly scaled. If you perfectly scale, you'd be constantly moving chips. And if you move from top bet to min its very obvious. I caught pit bosses and dealers watching me. If you reach top bet in some places they say check or green action as a rule. And sometimes no one seems to care
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 5th, 2012 at 1:07:53 PM permalink
It's the job of the pit boss to watch. That doesn't mean he's staring you down to intimidate you. There's no need to become overly paranoid although I'm still guilty of that at times. I attended a football game last fall and every time there was a huddle I thought they were talking about me. :)

My most recent back offs came from the sky with nary a clue from the pit. One of them was on a return visit before I was able to buy in.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
  • Jump to: