MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
July 25th, 2012 at 3:47:05 PM permalink
Do you count as the cards as they come out of the shoe? Do you wait until the
end of the round and count the cards before they are swept up by the dealer?

I prefer to wait. Whenever a player busts, I will adjust the count as the dealer
collects the cards, otherwise I wait until the round is complete, then count them all.
I used to count the starting hands, then count each individual card until the round
is complete. I still do this today, but only when approaching an index number though.

Sometimes I go into auto-pilot mode, and the cards seem to count themselves.
Wish I could do this more often.

What works for you?
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
July 25th, 2012 at 3:57:17 PM permalink
I count the cards in all of the hands in one sweep as the dealer just finishes dealing out the last hand.

I then count each card individually after that as players play out their hands.
duffytootx
duffytootx
  • Threads: 0
July 25th, 2012 at 4:09:49 PM permalink
I don't play out of a shoe but when I count one /two decks, I do it the moment I see a card and constantly adjust for the running count.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 25th, 2012 at 4:10:14 PM permalink
I wait until the hand is dealt and then start cancelling. You should be able to back-count two tables at once using a level one count.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 25th, 2012 at 4:48:30 PM permalink
I usually count by zero's negative 1's positive 1's
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 25th, 2012 at 7:14:44 PM permalink
I just ignore the zeroes. Plus and Minus only.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
July 25th, 2012 at 7:43:29 PM permalink
I wait until everyone has their hand, then do a cancel count. I add hit cards one by one to the count, canceling if the cards come out quickly enough.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 26th, 2012 at 1:24:05 AM permalink
When the Dealer finishes dealing the two cards to all Customers, I hand-count each location and add to running total. When someone draws I update the running total.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
AceTwo
AceTwo
  • Threads: 5
August 3rd, 2012 at 7:34:16 AM permalink
For ENHC
I start counting from the dealer upcard (as he gets its) and then the players 2 cards as each player is getting his 2nd card.
The 2 player cards are counted automatically as -2,-1,0,1,2 accordingly.
I finish the count at the same speed as the dealer gives the 2nd card. Even for very fast dealers, I usually do not have any problem unless there is a distraction, ie the waitress just came for orders.
This approach has also the advantage of appearing like a normal player. Many players look at the cards of other players as the 2nd card is given so you do not look out of place when you do that. And also if you are sitting 1ts base you finish the counting by the time you have to make yout play decision.
Hit cards are then counted one by one as each player hits.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
August 3rd, 2012 at 12:23:28 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I wait until the hand is dealt and then start cancelling. You should be able to back-count two tables at once using a level one count.

I have been practicing this counting style for purpose of wonging, but have found it difficult. How do you count two tables at once when both tables could have players taking hits and busting out at the same time? I'm sure there are different approaches that work for everyone, but I'm curious about your approach if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Personally, when I'm at the table counting (not back-counting), I don't cancel each player's hand individually, I cancel the first cards of two adjacent hands, then the second two cards of those two hands, etc. I have found this more effective for me as if I wait until all the first cards have been dealt and then start cancelling each hand on the 2nd card, I am more prone to make mistakes during the "waiting period" while you are seeing cards and not counting them. However, as you can imagine this works best with an even number of players. It has worked for me so far, but I may change to the more traditional approach.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 3rd, 2012 at 2:34:30 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I have been practicing this counting style for purpose of wonging, but have found it difficult. How do you count two tables at once when both tables could have players taking hits and busting out at the same time? I'm sure there are different approaches that work for everyone, but I'm curious about your approach if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Personally, when I'm at the table counting (not back-counting), I don't cancel each player's hand individually, I cancel the first cards of two adjacent hands, then the second two cards of those two hands, etc. I have found this more effective for me as if I wait until all the first cards have been dealt and then start cancelling each hand on the 2nd card, I am more prone to make mistakes during the "waiting period" while you are seeing cards and not counting them. However, as you can imagine this works best with an even number of players. It has worked for me so far, but I may change to the more traditional approach.

I don't do anything until each spot has two cards. I then scan the entire table cancelling, adding and subtracting. Many times there will be more cancelling as players draw multiple cards. My mind processes this instantly even while talking and joking around.

The majority of my wonging is wonging out, sometimes without leaving the table.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AceTwo
AceTwo
  • Threads: 5
August 6th, 2012 at 7:05:06 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Counting two tables at the same time is difficult and gets you mentally tired.
The diificulty is not in the counting but remembering the 2nd table count when you count the 1st table and vice versa and chaning back and forth between the 2. If you are standing behind the two tables between the 2, and counting waiting to wong then you count the initial cards for each table by scanning the table oncve all initial cards have been dealt and then turn your head right and left many times for the hit cards. Occasionally you will miss a hit card because it has busted and you were counting the other table at that time.
What I do:
Lets say both tables that you are back counting start at the same time. I back counted both but if after 1-2 decks, 1 table become TC-3 and the other is TC=1 I stop counting the TC=-3 and continue with counting only the TC=+1 table.
Similar approach if the tewo tables start at different times. Say 1 table just started and the other is now been shuffled. I start counting that one. Say after 2 decks the TC=-2 and the 2nd table starts, I swiych only to the 2nd. If the 1ts is TC=0 then I continue counting both till one becomes food enough to sit.

So when you backcount 2 tables you do not necessarily count them to the end. At most you count around 2 decks two tables. The rest of the time you count only one. Otherwise it is very difficult and very exhausting.
  • Jump to: