darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
June 2nd, 2019 at 1:18:30 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Even Stephen King made mistakes while looking right.

I read there was pretty much only one author in the last century that publishers dared never correct or had an editor oversee his work.

That was J.R.R. Tolkien.

He was a linguistics professor of such repute and who pored over his own work so meticulously he didn't need editing.

But he was a standalone example
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 2nd, 2019 at 1:58:12 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I read there was pretty much only one author in the last century that publishers dared never correct or had an editor oversee his work.

That was J.R.R. Tolkien.

He was a linguistics professor of such repute and who pored over his own work so meticulously he didn't need editing.

But he was a standalone example

I would say two. Rex Stout, with a documented IQ above 180 and famously vain about it, refused to be edited, and used a prolific vocabulary. He still managed to publish about 80 novels and stories.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
June 2nd, 2019 at 2:07:41 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I would say two. Rex Stout, with a documented IQ above 180 and famously vain about it, refused to be edited, and used a prolific vocabulary. He still managed to publish about 80 novels and stories.

Well, I recall reading the Tolkien thing in some material specifically about the Lord of the Rings so it was a bit Tolkein centric.

So it doesnt surprise me there was another author out there
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 2nd, 2019 at 6:57:05 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Well, I recall reading the Tolkien thing in some material specifically about the Lord of the Rings so it was a bit Tolkein centric.

So it doesnt surprise me there was another author out there

Wait, there are other books out there?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Radged
Radged
  • Threads: 1
June 4th, 2019 at 11:50:47 PM permalink
I almost believed in god)
  • Jump to: