Thread Rating:

hawkcatcher
hawkcatcher
  • Threads: 2
March 12th, 2018 at 1:16:29 PM permalink
How hard would it be for someone to write the code on a 2 step baccarat mini-martingale with pretty basic conditions.? I know the system won't work but I'd like to play around with the idea a little. Probably wouldn't take long and I'm willing to kick a few bucks to the coder.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 12th, 2018 at 3:15:30 PM permalink
How many bucks is a few?

I’ve done some simulators for game creators. But I can guarantee that your system won’t work, so I’d feel kind of bad taking money...
Last edited by: gamerfreak on Mar 12, 2018
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
March 12th, 2018 at 3:57:56 PM permalink
Quote: hawkcatcher

How hard would it be for someone to write the code on a 2 step baccarat mini-martingale

not hard at all.
A 2 step Marty is just 1 above a 1 step Marty (flat betting)

with pretty basic conditions.?

Oh, oh
what is pretty?
pretty basic?
you want it in Basic?
if not
what language?

I know the system won't work but I'd like to play around with the idea a little.

the system will work. why U say that way?
the chance to double a bankroll using a Marty say 3 to 10 step is about 33% (maybe a bit higher depending on the game)
that is 1 in 3
not 0

so BB or PP
or
BP or PB

how much fun do you want to have as you "play around"
(because coding has to be exact)
Sally
I Heart Vi Hart
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
March 12th, 2018 at 10:18:57 PM permalink
Sally: Is it possible to program in BASIC these days? Not Visual Basic, just coding on a plain screen. Barring that, how to learn C++?
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 12th, 2018 at 10:32:07 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Sally: Is it possible to program in BASIC these days? Not Visual Basic, just coding on a plain screen. Barring that, how to learn C++?

C++ is a fairly difficult language, probably not the best to start with unless you are looking to really get into the nuts and bolts of programming.

If you want something that’s a bit easier and more similar to BASIC in terms of syntax, look for some Python tutorials.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
March 13th, 2018 at 7:26:39 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

I dunno Sally's take on BASIC programming. (Personally, if Sally sez she can, I'd certainly bet she could prove it if pressed by anyone.) Here's my take:

As for myself, I used APL (short for "a programming language") for a grant back in the late 1960s. I also programmed professionally on an as-needed basis using BASIC and C. (I loved C, but that was sooo long ago.) C++ was a bridge too far. I wrestled for a while with R, a free, statistically oriented programming language. IEEE listed R as 6th in the top 10 programming languages used in 2015 (but most recent TIOBE Index shows R in top 20). I found R's "learning curve" a bit steep for someone "over the hill," as I am now. But, I may play with it some more in the future. (Sally! Hullo, Sally! More samples in R, please?)

So, for my current gaming research, I use -- wait for it -- MS-DOS QBasic. Yup. I run Ubuntu Linux on laptops. DOSEMU is a Linux-based MS-DOS emulator that opens a window straight back to the early 1990s, allowing folks to run all the computer games they grew up with. My old QBasic software installs and runs perfectly. But, might be confusing to someone who never spent much time working in a DOS-based computer environment. Also, there are a variety of BASIC (now usually referenced without all caps) programs for sale, if you check around.

So, yes, DeMango. It is possible to program in BASIC these days. That is, BASIC works great, if the nut behind the keyboard doesn't have a screw loose, or something. So, ymmv, don'cher know?
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
March 13th, 2018 at 9:02:45 AM permalink
Heck, I want to go back to the 80's! Give me a 2-e emulator and Applesoft, with today's speeds, and I would be happier than a pig in poop!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
March 13th, 2018 at 10:47:32 AM permalink

How hard would it be for someone to write the code on a 2 step baccarat mini-martingale with pretty basic conditions.? I know the system won't work but I'd like to play around with the idea a little. Probably wouldn't take long and I'm willing to kick a few bucks to the coder.

This would be easy to do, and could have reporting statistics (hands won, lost, money, actual house edge in the long run, etc). The problem you're going to run in to is if you get an actual programmer to do it usually a programmers consulting rate is around $100-$200 per hour. Since this isn't the most difficult request (but still might take a few hours) I'd imagine you could find someone for the lower end of that spectrum, but I'd also imagine that's way more than you originally thought =). While it might not sound like a lot, just want you to understand the "ask" of your request... that most programmers would get paid $300-$400 for what you're asking (and that's for experienced ones that could just knock it out in a few hours).

Then again someone that already has some kind of Bac software or is great with excel might be able to mimic up something simpler. I don't have either of those, just a senior programming background.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
hawkcatcher
hawkcatcher
March 13th, 2018 at 10:14:51 PM permalink
It is a small dilemma. Seems like it would be challenge for someone who hadn't done some baccarat coding to get everything right.
Romes
Romes
March 14th, 2018 at 7:34:52 AM permalink

It is a small dilemma. Seems like it would be challenge for someone who hadn't done some baccarat coding to get everything right.

No, it's not a challenging programming inquiry... baccarat is really easy actually (not a lot to it). It's more the gravity of the request I don't think you understand. It's not a simple "hey could someone code this for me..." given that programmers usually get paid ~$300-$400 for your request. So you're kinda just asking someone to do that for free. i.e. you're asking someone for like $300-$400.
hawkcatcher
hawkcatcher
March 14th, 2018 at 8:00:16 AM permalink
Never said I expected someone to code it for free...
Romes
Romes
March 14th, 2018 at 8:04:37 AM permalink

Never said I expected someone to code it for free...

You're right, you did say you'd throw in a couple bucks. I was just under the assumption that you meant like $20 or $50... which still isn't anywhere near the rate of a programmer for the job. I wasn't trying to be rude, just help you understand your own request a bit further. I get friends ALL THE TIME like "hey can you just program this simple app for me???" and it's like weird because they don't realize they're actually asking me for a couple thousand dollars for free.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
March 14th, 2018 at 9:24:45 AM permalink

I'm trying to come up with words to describe my reaction to this.

Offended? Yeah, somewhat. That's probably the closest word.

A challenge is working on the cure to cancer.

What you are asking for is tedious work with a well known outcome.

If it doesn't pique someone's interest, and I'm sure a problem like this doesn't, then you are going to be hard pressed to find someone to do the work for the challenge of it, or for a few bucks.
  • Jump to: