onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 6280
September 18th, 2017 at 11:07:01 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Plenty of new studies have shown that in some places, crime decreases when a casino comes in because policing is added to deter crime which in turn decreases all crime. I would suspect this is the case when you locate casinos away from residential areas (like in the middle of nowhere) where crime cannot leak into neighborhoods.

Yes, Vegas outside of the strip and Fremont street is awful for crime, but all major US cities have major crime pockets. AC however has the major crime right next to the casinos due to its design and the lack of planning by the city and state when the casinos came. Mind you, I think it would have been difficult to plan given that the only experience in large scale casino experiments was Las Vegas.

Casinos and the police do whatever they can to keep all the crime unreported. I wouldn't believe those studies. Ive had small things stolen from my room twice in AC, never bothered reporting it. Ive heard stories when large things were taken, casinos will pay for them, which is acting to keep the crime unreported.
Careful man! There's a beverage here! Being good is no fun. I want to make ignorant jokes too! :-|
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 5114
September 18th, 2017 at 11:17:02 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Casinos and the police do whatever they can to keep all the crime unreported. I wouldn't believe those studies. Ive had small things stolen from my room twice in AC, never bothered reporting it. Ive heard stories when large things were taken, casinos will pay for them, which is acting to keep the crime unreported.




Most of Las Vegas is a great place to live. Like every city, there are some high crime areas but the west side of town is safer than almost any big city in the country.
Henderson, where I live, is year in and year out named one of the safest cities in America.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 6280
September 18th, 2017 at 11:34:18 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Most of Las Vegas is a great place to live. Like every city, there are some high crime areas but the west side of town is safer than almost any big city in the country.
Henderson, where I live, is year in and year out named one of the safest cities in America.

Don't know anything about Henderson, but GIGO applies to the numbers reported regarding casinos and crimes. The numbers are gamed to make casinos seem safer than they are. Remember the hotels dragging dead bodies out of the rooms, they cheat any time they can, even worse than the Steelers on Sundays.
Careful man! There's a beverage here! Being good is no fun. I want to make ignorant jokes too! :-|
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 116
  • Posts: 11379
Thanks for this post from:
LuckyPhow
September 19th, 2017 at 5:06:22 AM permalink
LuckyPhow,

Yes on Midwest, here's a thread I started a long time ago:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/9823-casino-mooches/
Vultures can't be choosers.
vegas
vegas
Joined: Apr 27, 2012
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 211
September 19th, 2017 at 5:46:11 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Most of Las Vegas is a great place to live. Like every city, there are some high crime areas but the west side of town is safer than almost any big city in the country.
Henderson, where I live, is year in and year out named one of the safest cities in America.




True about Henderson and yet if you go north east a bit to the boulder highway it is crime laden.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
dave12038457
dave12038457
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 261
September 19th, 2017 at 7:16:37 AM permalink
Unless one is looking for trouble i.e. drugs,prostitutes you are unlikely to be a crime victim in A.C.
Hookers and drug dealers are notorious for robbing people.
Most other crimes tend to petty in nature. Stolen cell phones, panhandling and such.
The nefarious types are drawn towards vulnerable people and displays of wealth.
A few years back there were two tourists carjacked and robbed/murdered out of the Taj Mahal on different accasions. One was driving a Lincoln the other a Range Rover. I am willing to bet the crooks watched a few more humble vehicles before these victims were chosen.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 11576
September 19th, 2017 at 11:02:37 AM permalink
The last time I played AC was 2006, I think (stayed at AC Hilton, so a while) so my stuff is dated, but....

I played and stayed 30-40 trips in the 5 years before that. Loved AC. There were so many interesting local restaurants, a good mix of casinos, good mix of games. There were many small hustles for cigarettes, a dollar, s couple quarters. I got a good education there about cheating and anti-cheat moves; they were fighting flashers, daubers, hole-carders, cappers and pinchers, light-wands back then. Lots of little modifications, I'd ask why, usually they'd tell me.

The thing i saw most often was bucket pinches or outright theft. Everyone had 1 or more buckets of coins next to them, and it was simple to sit next to someone, pull the handle a couple of times, and pick up their bucket (especially when you had more than one) or feed their machine from your bucket while you were watching the reels. More than 1 bucket was especially bad, because you tended to work out of a partial bucket feeding piles of nickels per spin and leave the others sitting there.

The more devious (and long-armed) thieves would sit on the back of your bank and slide their arm between from the other side and pull a bucket through.


TITO was just coming in, which was a huge problem for casinos at first because the thieves would distract people then punch the cash-out button and grab the ticket. The bus loads of seniors throwing nickels in were getting killed on this move, and not trusting the TITO machine, so casinos were hesitant to add-on the boxes. It took new slot consoles with a more protected button and feed to get a lot of them to transition along with better bill-reading technology.

All the preceding was my slot experiences at Showboat and Harrah's, my usual hangouts, before Harrah's merged with CET. I did play most other places, though avoided Trump Marina after I stayed there once; it was dank and musty, even in the casino, and the carpet squelched under my feet with damp. Yuck.

I was usually alone, usually had a car, but sometimes was flown in and used the jitney or taxis. Did walk the Boardwalk at night without being uncomfortable, but didn't do side streets on foot, and was careful where I drove. Otherwise was very comfortable playing as a woman alone.

I still get invites to come in by air at their expense, but for one reason or another haven't been back. If the timing worked, I'd still go, but the various reports here of how much things have declined are pretty depressing. I have such an itch to go up there and just....CHANGE things so it was good again, or even bether than before. Impossible, I'm sure.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
dave12038457
dave12038457
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 261
September 19th, 2017 at 1:20:41 PM permalink
Many crimes against tourists are crimes of opportunity.
An unattended phone or purse, an unlocked car with something valuable in plain sight etc.
The casinos and tourist areas are relatively safe.
Just use some precautionary measures.
Years ago my father's friends date had her purse stolen at an upscale resturaunt. There was a couple seated behind her. She noticed her purse had been stolen off the back of her chair. Low and behold the woman who was sitting behind her had left. Just keep your valuables close at hand. Beware of strangers striking up conversations, they may just be distracting you.
Keep your purse on your lap or room and cell phone put away in a pocket.
I used to work nights, my days off I would visit A.C. in the wee hours. I could spot the nefarious types easily.
They wouldn't be in the main isles so much as cruising around the slot machine area looking side to side at people and machines. Predatory behaviour is relatively easy to see if you know what to look for.
A person going to the bathroom or their room will tend to use the main aisles and be focused more straight ahead.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 2051
September 19th, 2017 at 3:33:27 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Most of Las Vegas is a great place to live. Like every city, there are some high crime areas but the west side of town is safer than almost any big city in the country.
Henderson, where I live, is year in and year out named one of the safest cities in America.



I do not believe the Henderson crime stats. Henderson is the only place in Vegas that I have personally experienced crime. I lived in a gated area albeit without guard and had a cargo trailer stolen which police recovered a few days later up in behind Fiesta Station. All my stuff was gone but it was full of other stolen items from other burglaries. The second incident was a stolen motorcycle still unrecovered.

Both incidents fully reported with so called case numbers yet neither incident showed up anywhere in the crime stats. Henderson's system of reporting is gaffed.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 145
  • Posts: 4369
September 19th, 2017 at 4:07:46 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The last time I played AC was 2006, I think (stayed at AC Hilton, so a while) so my stuff is dated, but....

I played and stayed 30-40 trips in the 5 years before that. Loved AC. There were so many interesting local restaurants, a good mix of casinos, good mix of games. There were many small hustles for cigarettes, a dollar, s couple quarters. I got a good education there about cheating and anti-cheat moves; they were fighting flashers, daubers, hole-carders, cappers and pinchers, light-wands back then. Lots of little modifications, I'd ask why, usually they'd tell me.

The thing i saw most often was bucket pinches or outright theft. Everyone had 1 or more buckets of coins next to them, and it was simple to sit next to someone, pull the handle a couple of times, and pick up their bucket (especially when you had more than one) or feed their machine from your bucket while you were watching the reels. More than 1 bucket was especially bad, because you tended to work out of a partial bucket feeding piles of nickels per spin and leave the others sitting there.

The more devious (and long-armed) thieves would sit on the back of your bank and slide their arm between from the other side and pull a bucket through.


TITO was just coming in, which was a huge problem for casinos at first because the thieves would distract people then punch the cash-out button and grab the ticket. The bus loads of seniors throwing nickels in were getting killed on this move, and not trusting the TITO machine, so casinos were hesitant to add-on the boxes. It took new slot consoles with a more protected button and feed to get a lot of them to transition along with better bill-reading technology.

All the preceding was my slot experiences at Showboat and Harrah's, my usual hangouts, before Harrah's merged with CET. I did play most other places, though avoided Trump Marina after I stayed there once; it was dank and musty, even in the casino, and the carpet squelched under my feet with damp. Yuck.

I was usually alone, usually had a car, but sometimes was flown in and used the jitney or taxis. Did walk the Boardwalk at night without being uncomfortable, but didn't do side streets on foot, and was careful where I drove. Otherwise was very comfortable playing as a woman alone.

I still get invites to come in by air at their expense, but for one reason or another haven't been back. If the timing worked, I'd still go, but the various reports here of how much things have declined are pretty depressing. I have such an itch to go up there and just....CHANGE things so it was good again, or even bether than before. Impossible, I'm sure.



If you have the time, I would recommend visiting and making your own decisions on AC. It's not what it was with casinos closing and such, but it still has a lot to offer if you are comped. CZR treates AC as a separate entity so if you take a comp and kill your ADT you still will be fine in the other places you play with them. There is still opportunity there as some on here know. And between April and October, the NE isn't a bad getaway.

I hope you can fit a trip in and then decide for yourself.

  • Jump to: