snap14
snap14
  • Threads: 1
September 20th, 2010 at 5:43:23 PM permalink
It was recently hit in a california card club by getting 7 picture cards (J, Q and K).
Is this a once-in-a-lifetime type hit like winning the lotto?
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
September 20th, 2010 at 6:01:11 PM permalink
Pretty much, yes.
There are stories of lotto players who had hit the "once in a lifetime" million-dollar jackpot more than once. But they're statistical freaks.

But on a personal level, I wouldn't expect to see it again.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
September 20th, 2010 at 6:06:14 PM permalink
According to my math it happens once each 28.653 hands played... There's a huge house edge! Ouch!
No bounce, no play.
toastcmu
toastcmu
  • Threads: 17
September 20th, 2010 at 6:44:48 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Pretty much, yes.
There are stories of lotto players who had hit the "once in a lifetime" million-dollar jackpot more than once. But they're statistical freaks.

But on a personal level, I wouldn't expect to see it again.

I had a coworker hit the Royal Flush + Royal Match bonus on a $5 bet this year at MGM Grand - the dealer said she had only seen it hit twice (including my friend) in her 16 years of dealing. He's the kind of guy that seems to do well at gambling no matter what - he spreads money across the top in craps (all points) and somehow manages to win 3 out of every 4 times he gambles too.

I should teach him Video Poker so he can get sucked into comps and the elusive royal. <grin>

-B
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
September 21st, 2010 at 8:17:05 AM permalink
Here's a once-in-a-lifetime story...

Last night, I was playing at Ameristar Council Bluffs. I was playing Emperor's Challenge, since I am a sucker and like the Pai Gow Insurance bet as well as the regular bonus. A guy sits down, and does $5 on each bonus. FIRST HAND, gets the 9-high Pai Gow (250-1). SECOND HAND, gets the 10-high Pai Gow (75-1). This guy also won the monthly blackjack tournament upstairs earlier. Now that's lucky...

Btw, PaiGowDan, EZ Pai Gow is doing pretty well from what I can tell. There always seems like there are people playing on the table. I saw somebody get dealt an A-5 SF, but it had the joker. That would have been a sweet payout if only it was natural...
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 21st, 2010 at 8:37:38 AM permalink
Quote: aluisio

According to my math it happens once each 28.653 hands played... There's a huge house edge! Ouch!

But there are other payouts, too, aren't there? Couple hundred for an RF, fiftyish for an SF, $1000 or so for 5 aces? So the HE is closer to 10% than 50%?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
September 22nd, 2010 at 6:18:20 PM permalink
rdw4potus you are right, I forgot to consider the simultanity!
No bounce, no play.
  • Jump to: