inap
inap
  • Threads: 12
February 12th, 2010 at 8:25:50 PM permalink
where i come from we're kind of barbeque challanged, so every trip to vegas i try to find a new place for good barbeque. i've tried memphis championship barbeque which was pretty good, but it was the dry type and i like wet style. i also tried big mama's which i saw on the travel channel. that was a unique joint to say the least, but located in a rather isolated run down area so we just ordered to go and left before it got dark :). but the sauce was very tangy and sweet which i liked. i was going to try c j's texas barbeque, but i heard they just closed down! i heard ellis island wasn't bad so i'm going to try there, but i think they are more noted for their $6.95 steak dinner.

i also like the beef ribs at orleans but it's not barbeque, (but it goes perfect with their baked beans). i was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for good barbeque in vegas.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
February 12th, 2010 at 8:47:15 PM permalink
I also like Tony Roma's. There is one at the Fremont, one a bit east of the Strip on Sahara, as well as lots more in the L.A. area. However, it is also the "dry style," which I prefer.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
inap
inap
February 12th, 2010 at 9:06:02 PM permalink
thanks wizard for your suggestion. although i prefer 'wet style' barbeque, i did like memphis championship barbeque. their sampler platter was very good and in fact i did go back again. i always keep them in mind when i feel like some real smoked barbeque.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 13th, 2010 at 12:11:03 AM permalink
I'm going to try T.C.'s Rib Crib next trip. New Orleans style, black owned, sounds about as authentic as you'll find in Las Vegas.
"What, me worry?"
inap
inap
February 13th, 2010 at 1:08:32 AM permalink
thanks MrV, i forgot about t.c.'s rib crib. everytime i see a barbeque or steak special on the travel channel or food channel i can't wait to get back to vegas to find a place to satisfy my craving. between my cravings and all the buffets i don't know how i don't gain weight on the trip! must be all the walking!
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
February 13th, 2010 at 12:37:26 PM permalink
I don't have an answer to the query... but for anyone who is interested in good food while traveling, I would humbly suggest Jan and Michael Stern's website Roadfood. I'm there as "Mosca" as well. It is a great place to both share your favorites and also find the local favorites of whatever town you might be visiting.
A falling knife has no handle.
inap
inap
February 13th, 2010 at 7:01:28 PM permalink
great website Mosca, thanks. who would have known such a website existed! anything you want to find out about food there.

i think there was a chili cook off in vegas today. i always miss stuff like this. i think vegas has a barbeque cook off also but don't know when or where, but i'll probably be able to find out at that food website. thanks again.
PeteM
PeteM
  • Threads: 4
February 14th, 2010 at 5:40:43 PM permalink
For a chain, Famous Dave's is excellent. Love that Georgia/Carolina style vinegar based sauce on pulled pork.(Pardon me while I swallow my own saliva).
"Win with a smile, lose with grace."
  • Jump to: