beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 20th, 2015 at 10:20:30 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Thanks for the reply. I missed it somehow. Kids are 2 and 4.

Just found out that the adventure some is closed for maintenance that week we are there. May still go there for the curcus acts and midway.

I was finally able to book ToK tickets for free through myvegas so that is good news.

Question: wife wants to walk from man bay to vegas sign. Google Street view seems like it is doable. Has anyone done it? Is it safe walking?

I have driven it, not walked it, so FWIW. It's not a bad area that I know of. The sidewalk on the Mandalay Bay side of the street seems to be complete the whole way; the sign itself is in the median, with a large bus stop and pedestrian crosswalk. The other side, along the airport perimeter, does not appear to have good sidewalks the whole way.

I guess the big question would be if a 4yo could walk it, unless you have strollers for both, with virtually no shade to take a break under until you get to the sign. The median also looks walk-able south of Russell St., but it appears they don't want you to do it (there are no walking signs along the left turn lanes).
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 20th, 2015 at 10:39:44 AM permalink

We are thinking about walking from there to the vegas sign. Is this a safe walk? I was looking at Google maps and it seems ok. Thoughts?

Last year, I would have said, "no, as there's no way to cross the Strip to get to the sign," but a few months ago, they added a stoplight and a crosswalk (and a bus stop in each direction) where the sign is. Keep in mind that there's going to be a crowd there.

Wednesday we are staying on the strip. We want to go to tournament of the Kings. Originally had planned on getting tickets through myvegas but it says nothing is available even though they let me take the reward.

That's strange, as the show's ticket website says that there are tickets available for both shows on Wednesday. Perhaps you made a mistake and asked for (Tuesday) 9/29, which is the show's dark night?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 20th, 2015 at 10:41:31 AM permalink
We are bringing the double stroller so that won't be a problem. Right now our plan is walk to the sign around 5pm. There appears to be a bus stop right there. Kids are free so we are going to hop on the sdx and head downtown.

Does that seen viable. I was confused looking at the bus routes because it seems like you have to prepay the sdx and only certain stops have that option.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
September 20th, 2015 at 10:49:34 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Last year, I would have said, "no, as there's no way to cross the Strip to get to the sign," but a few months ago, they added a stoplight and a crosswalk (and a bus stop in each direction) where the sign is. Keep in mind that there's going to be a crowd there.

That's strange, as the show's ticket website says that there are tickets available for both shows on Wednesday. Perhaps you made a mistake and asked for (Tuesday) 9/29, which is the show's dark night?

I think the show thing must have been a glitch on their website. When I went to order it would let me pick the Wednesday but then would say no tickets available. It said that for every single day. The next day I was on hold waiting for an operator and I figured I would try it again and it worked.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 21st, 2015 at 6:51:34 PM permalink
There's a candy shop at the Strip entrance to Paris. The wheel at the LINQ makes for a good picture, but it is expensive for a family. Rather, check out the Polaroid museum near there, and send a picture to yourself. Bellagio across the street is good for a few hours as you check out the fountains and the floral display. There Check for coupons to the Shark Reef as full price is pretty steep. They have a small variety of animals in there including a couple of reptiles, so it makes for an interesting couple of hours.

M&M's world and the Coke store are fun for the 4 year old, but the two year old is going to hate them since getting the stroller from floor to floor requires long waits for the elevator. Consider two umbrella strollers instead. The Ethel M factory tour is free fun, if you can get there.

I second the suggestion to skip Downtown, and just stay on the Strip. There isn't much there for kids, and whole lot there that is definitely family UNfriendly. The only thing I can think of that would make it worth considering is the Children's museum near the Premium outlet by the Arts Center, but I haven't actually been there, so can't comment on whether it is worth the hassle.

In addition to Circus Circus, NYNY and MGM have larger "midway" type gaming options. There is a "GameWorks" arcade on the Strip too, but if you can get to the Pinball Hall of Fame, the four year old would appreciate it.

Edit: Paris has pretty extensive swimming pool offerings, so I would recommend that you plan to take advantage of them (weather and operating schedule permitting).
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 21st, 2015 at 8:11:48 PM permalink
2 things to consider for the kids:

The MGM lions now live on a ranch near the M Resort, about 8 miles off-strip. They can be visited.
http://www.vegas.com/attractions/off-the-strip/lion-habitat-ranch/

Also, check this page for kid-friendly activities.

http://www.vegas.com/attractions/attractions-for-kids/

At MGM itself, there's still the Rainforest Café, which has all sorts of animatronic animals and aquariums in a jungle setting. I liked it very much but haven't been for about 8 years.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 21st, 2015 at 10:31:48 PM permalink
I'd not really know much about kids or keeping them entertained, but in Vegas I'd keep them out of downtown.

I don't think .8 miles is too much of a walk but it might be too much sunshine and radiant heat. I'd spring for a taxi and ask the driver for his cell phone number. spend what you save on sunscrean on a tip to the driver.

I'd concentrate on the known kid friendly places on the strip. remember bottled water and walking shoes, everyone must have a cell phone with them, don't get separated and don't get adventuresome when crossing the street. drivers in Vegas are occasionally sober.
GWAE
GWAE
September 22nd, 2015 at 12:03:04 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

2 things to consider for the kids:

The MGM lions now live on a ranch near the M Resort, about 8 miles off-strip. They can be visited.
http://www.vegas.com/attractions/off-the-strip/lion-habitat-ranch/

Also, check this page for kid-friendly activities.

http://www.vegas.com/attractions/attractions-for-kids/

At MGM itself, there's still the Rainforest Café, which has all sorts of animatronic animals and aquariums in a jungle setting. I liked it very much but haven't been for about 8 years.

Is rainforest cafe still in mgm? We go to one everyone we are in a city that has one so we had looked at vwgas. I know it used to be near the Lions exhibit but based on Google maps it looks like it is about a half mile down the street. I looked at it the other day but with a cheap budget for this trip a $70 dinner might be out.

And lol flea at sometimes sober. Will take a note of that.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
September 22nd, 2015 at 3:03:06 AM permalink

Is rainforest cafe still in mgm?

Yep, it was still there a couple of months ago. It is in the corner that takes you out to pedestrian bridge over Las Vegas Blvd. And yeah, I suspect it is pricey.

The pool should be a good family spot. Particularly early in the day before the crowds arrive. Remember your sunscreen ! SOME pools close kind of early, so that might be worth checking into. The pool at Tuscany used to be open later, like 8 pm. I don't know if those hours are still in effect.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 22nd, 2015 at 8:00:22 AM permalink

Is rainforest cafe still in mgm? We go to one everyone we are in a city that has one so we had looked at vwgas. I know it used to be near the Lions exhibit but based on Google maps it looks like it is about a half mile down the street. I looked at it the other day but with a cheap budget for this trip a $70 dinner might be out.

And lol flea at sometimes sober. Will take a note of that.

Google seems to indicate it's still there. And they claim it's for both shopping and eating, so I would think you can take a leisurely stroll through there "shopping" without buying anything. Especially with 2 cute kids in tow.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 22nd, 2015 at 10:19:25 AM permalink

Is rainforest cafe still in mgm?

Apparently, no it isn't - the one at MGM Grand closed in mid-August.

Also apparently, its new location at Harmon Corner (just south of Planet Hollywood) opened on September 1.
GWAE
GWAE
September 22nd, 2015 at 12:45:15 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Google seems to indicate it's still there. And they claim it's for both shopping and eating, so I would think you can take a leisurely stroll through there "shopping" without buying anything. Especially with 2 cute kids in tow.

If you have never been there, they do have a pretty large retail store. Make sure you check out the cra rance section. We usually end up with shirts for the kids for under $5.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 22nd, 2015 at 12:50:59 PM permalink

Also apparently, its new location at Harmon Corner (just south of Planet Hollywood) opened on September 1.

Thanks for the update, TDG! I had not heard. That's a much better location anyway, IMO; hope they have enough room for all the good greenery in the new spot.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
September 22nd, 2015 at 2:36:01 PM permalink

Which is one of the things that is so cool about this site, up-to-date info !

Google Maps

Rainforest Cafe - Las Vegas
3717 Las Vegas Boulevard South
Las Vegas, NV 89109
(702) 891-8580
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
GWAE
GWAE
September 22nd, 2015 at 3:06:18 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Which is one of the things that is so cool about this site, up-to-date info !

Google Maps

Rainforest Cafe - Las Vegas
3717 Las Vegas Boulevard South
Las Vegas, NV 89109
(702) 891-8580

Google maps is what made me realize it was somewhere else. I put the address in and was like what that's not mgm. Then I did street view but it just shows what I guess is the Harmon center. That was being built when we were there in 2010
  • Jump to: