JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
March 30th, 2014 at 7:34:45 AM permalink
We decided to stay 3 nights at the Holiday Inn Las Vegas Desert Resort on Koval Lane last week.

HERE

The resort itself was very nice and we loved the extra space that a 2 BR unit affords since our teenage daughters came with us on this trip. The 3rd floor unit in Bldg 7 had a gas fireplace, giant tub in the Master BR, a balcony, full kitchen, and full size washer and dryer which came in handy because I flew in from a week long business trip.

The cost of our 3 night package, which required attendance at a Timeshare presentation, was:

$ 199
$ 100 upgrade to a 2 BR unit
- 100 Cashback
====
$ 199

But it also included $ 60 in VP/Slotplay at the Venetian and 20K points in my Holiday Inn account, which will cover 1 or 2 nights at a Holiday Inn hotel in the future. I think it also worked out well for us because the rates for a Saturday night during the first weekend of NCAA March Madness in Las Vegas seemed pretty high.

I think their Marketing department needs to work harder to find affluent people who don't have much financial sense. We were astounded by what a horrible deal it would be to buy from them. If you are curious, here's what they EVENTUALLY GOT AROUND to presenting us with:

$ 39,000... for enough points to get a 2BR unit once a year for 1 Week, and possibly some points left-over for a couple of hotel nights.
$ 1,200... Annual Maintenance Fee

But they would be willing to finance us for just 16.9 % ! ! !

As you might be aware, the cost of a timeshare on the re-sale market is just a small fraction of this, but the maintenance fee will always be there. Which is why a lot of people are willing to sell their timeshare for a fraction of what they purchased it for.

I found it interesting that you can book the exact same 2BR unit on their website for as low as $ 166 per night, which would be in the ballpark of just the annual maintenance fee for the timeshare.

If we ever decide to "snowbird" to Las Vegas for a few months after we retire, I think we would rent a furnished condo unit through VRBO.com or HOMEAWAY.com to see if we like staying in LV for more than a week at a time.

The timeshare presentation was supposed to last 2 hours, but we couldn't politely extricate ourselves from it for 2 hours and 45 minutes. I'm not sure I could say it was High Pressure, rather they just wouldn't take a firm and repeated "No Thanks" for an answer. So definitely frustrating. I will probably call the IHG office tomorrow and share my dissatisfaction with the length of the presentation.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 30th, 2014 at 7:39:07 AM permalink
Did they make you show a Debit Card? Is that legit?

I have wondered about the Time Share that they hock at Binion's for $150 Free Play or whatever it was. I was just kind of worried that they are scammers who plan to steal my Debit Card information and make a bunch of transactions without my authorization. Can anyone vouch that these people are not scammers?

I'd watch their little video for two hours for $150 - (Negative EV, expressed positively) = x if I didn't have to give my Debit Card.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 30th, 2014 at 7:41:15 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I have wondered about the Time Share that they hock at Binion's for $150 Free Play or whatever it was. I was just kind of worried that they are scammers who plan to steal my Debit Card information and make a bunch of transactions without my authorization. Can anyone vouch that these people are not scammers?

I'd watch their little video for two hours for $150 - (Negative EV, expressed positively) = x if I didn't have to give my Debit Card.

I've thought about doing these presentations before to save some bucks, but my wife is not good at resisting the hard sell. I won't even let her TALK to the finance guy at the car dealerships... I believe these require both parties to attend, so I'm out!
Mission146
Mission146
March 30th, 2014 at 7:43:28 AM permalink
I see. I'll be in Vegas by myself this time around, so I suppose I won't be able to do it. I kind of wanted to do it last time, not being able to afford $5,000/month, or however much the stupid things are, makes resisting the hard sell pretty easy for me.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
March 30th, 2014 at 7:54:51 AM permalink
They'll have an answer for any objection !

In our case, the "Manager" came over and offered us a lower cost unit in Florida (but with lower points which means you can't get as nice a property / unit ).

And then he showed us how we could get a "1/2" share which is only good for odd or even number years. Another point they pushed pretty hard was that you have access to last minute vacations through the RCInetwork. He even showed us what some of those would be in Las Vegas but I didn't consider any of them to be worth staying at. IE, the "Royal Resort". And then we had to talk to one more supervisor before we could leave, so you find yourself just wanting to shout that this is the most ridiculous rip-off you have ever seen. But you don't because you haven't gotten your "prize" yet.

I did enjoy staying in a nice condo-ish unit, I just think the best way to do that is to book it directly like a hotel. You can find good values through the power of the internet.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
March 30th, 2014 at 8:57:37 AM permalink
Were there "plants" in the audience?
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 30th, 2014 at 9:02:58 AM permalink
I always wondered who actually fell for these things. The annual fees are usually about what you could stay for a week in most cities and resort areas. The resell value is ZERO because of the fees. Yet there are always there, so someone falls for it. Imagine selling a $300,000 Condo for $40,000 50-52 times over. If just 1 in 20 falls for this nonsense they make money.

To me, so many of the financial problems America and many people in general have can be explained by people actually buying timeshares.
Boz
Boz
March 30th, 2014 at 9:04:29 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

The timeshare presentation was supposed to last 2 hours, but we couldn't politely extricate ourselves from it for 2 hours and 45 minutes. I'm not sure I could say it was High Pressure, rather they just wouldn't take a firm and repeated "No Thanks" for an answer. So definitely frustrating. I will probably call the IHG office tomorrow and share my dissatisfaction with the length of the presentation.

Somehow I doubt you are the first person with that complaint and I am sure they are ready for it with a discounted sales pitch to make up for it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 30th, 2014 at 9:05:09 AM permalink
You would think after about 35 years the timeshare thing would not be viable. I guess it still is.

I do remember one woman I worked with said they loved having one. Meh.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 30th, 2014 at 9:12:55 AM permalink
Many years ago, while staying at the Riveria, we were incessantly hounded by the folks representing Tahiti Village every time we walked by their desk. We finally decided to do the two hour tour, not because we were goaded into it but because we thought it would be interesting. I have no problem saying no as you'll see in a minute.

We were offered two free buffets for our time. Now it was my turn to do the taunting and I answered them with "not even close". I was then asked my and my wife's annual income. I told the woman $350k. I lied. Her final offer was three buffets, three tickets to Frank Marino's female impersonator show and a $50 gas card. There were three of us but only my wife and I were to attend the pitch.

Onto the shuttle and down the strip we go. When we arrived at Tahiti Village we sat through a cult like program and were then divided into small groups. It was obvious to me that the income that I provided was forwarded to them as we were given special attention. The pressure was turned all the way up. We were double teamed with the good cop bad cop routine, shouted at, praised and ridiculed. How would our kids ever forgive us if we passed on this part of their future?

After about a half hour or so I told my wife to stop talking. I then responded to every question with "I'm not buying give me my rewards," much like an accused person who lawyers up."Would you like to see the pools"? "I'm not buying give me my rewards" We were essentially back roomed.

Finally the good cop signed off on the gifts and told us we could walk around on our own until our shuttle was ready to take us back to the Riveria. Yea, right. We walked over to a shuttle that was boarding and got on. A good time was had by all.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
bahdbwoy
bahdbwoy
  • Threads: 14
March 30th, 2014 at 9:22:47 AM permalink
being in the industry (not sales lol).. it amazes me people sign off on those outrageous interest rates..

best products out there are hyatt, marriott, shell and diamond
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 30th, 2014 at 10:43:39 AM permalink

Yes. I can vouch for that even though I know absolutely nothing about those who ask for your debit card info. The answer is really simple. They make too much money with high pressure Time share sales to screw themselves by fiddling around with pennies on a debit card.

Time Shares don't work. There is too much on the market, Anyone who rents a timeshare will want an ultra luxury top floor so if you own something on a lower floor it will never get rented, cleaning fees and cleaning turnaround time eat up any profits.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
March 30th, 2014 at 11:04:58 AM permalink
You're effectively paying 2.5 million for a property that has a negative expected value (required maintenance fees, no resale). People are idiots.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 30th, 2014 at 11:49:20 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

my wife is not good at resisting the hard sell

all it takes is a little feeling of guilt at taking up their time [and taking advantage of the gift] and a chance for them to build on that, and they've got you [or your spouse]

You *will* feel obligated. They are good at what they do. You may be determined enough to still say no. You may not be. Your spouse may not be. You will go through a trial in any case, wishing you hadn't.

Just say no. To the offer in the first place
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
March 30th, 2014 at 4:02:32 PM permalink
Agreed. I think you can plan on an extra half hour plus of BS if you or your spouse shows any sign of hesitation about saying "THANKS but NO THANKS, this timeshare does not make sense for us and we are not interested at all".
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 30th, 2014 at 4:10:27 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

You're effectively paying 2.5 million for a property that has a negative expected value (required maintenance fees, no resale). People are idiots.

When I was a kid we stayed at my uncle's place on Sanibel Island off season for free. We had no money, had the guy seen our car they would have ignored us. But they offered $20 to go to a presentation. This was 1982 so that was about half of a dinner for four at one of the nicer places on the island.

Of course my dad told us to keep quiet the entire time and just sucked the $20 from them. Later he calculated each unit would go for around $500,000 when most condos sold for about $120,000. Glad I learned young.
Boz
Boz
March 30th, 2014 at 4:45:41 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

When I was a kid we stayed at my uncle's place on Sanibel Island off season for free. We had no money, had the guy seen our car they would have ignored us. But they offered $20 to go to a presentation. This was 1982 so that was about half of a dinner for four at one of the nicer places on the island.

Of course my dad told us to keep quiet the entire time and just sucked the $20 from them. Later he calculated each unit would go for around $500,000 when most condos sold for about $120,000. Glad I learned young.

Parents like that are why some of us have common sense about finances...and those who didn't have parents like that end up as liberals.
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 30th, 2014 at 4:58:43 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Parents like that are why some of us have common sense about finances...and those who didn't have parents like that end up as liberals.

I cannot stand comments like that.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
March 30th, 2014 at 5:03:25 PM permalink
Money was tight when I grew up, especially in my high school years, and I think that is one of the things that shaped my frugal-ish / get good value when spending hard earned money outlook on life.

Similar situation for my wife but she doesn't have much willpower when it comes to (not) spending money.

And despite Boz's thoughts, we are both liberal.
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 30th, 2014 at 5:09:39 PM permalink

Money was tight when I grew up, especially in my high school years, and I think that is one of the things that shaped my frugal-ish / get good value when spending hard earned money outlook on life.

Similar situation for my wife but she doesn't have much willpower when it comes to (not) spending money.

And despite Boz's thoughts, we are both liberal.

But wait, according to what Boz said, it's impossible that you, or I (who has a similar outlook) are liberal. Hmm...
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
March 30th, 2014 at 5:23:56 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

But wait, according to what Boz said, it's impossible that you, or I (who has a similar outlook) are liberal. Hmm...

I guess I must be mistaken !

Back to the original thread topic.....

ONCE I retire, I could see some possible value in buying an ultra low maintenance fee type ownership (in the resale market) IF that in fact gives you access to booking last minute deals for un-booked RCI weeks. I think the "LAST CALL" program had weeks for ~$ 300 if you booked within 45 days. Of course none of that info is given to you in writing during a 2 hour and 45 minute presentation. In fact, I don't think anything was actually presented to us in writing because that's so unimportant when dealing with Real Estate.

Does anyone have any favorable experiences with Timeshares like that ?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 30th, 2014 at 6:05:31 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Some things like this they had street smarts on some things not as much. I consider it my job as an uncle to teach the nieces and nephews how not to be a sucker. I have said here before I have the one learning the basics of blackjack. Too bad the shoe games will be a memory in 20 years as I could have some kind of team and something to do when I get old.
Boz
Boz
March 31st, 2014 at 9:29:37 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I cannot stand comments like that.

Like so much of what we talk about here, its +EV as a general comment, but that doesn't make it a guarantee winner. But again, I like my odds!
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
March 31st, 2014 at 11:54:39 AM permalink

We decided to stay 3 nights at the Holiday Inn Las Vegas Desert Resort on Koval Lane last week.

HERE

The resort itself was very nice and we loved the extra space that a 2 BR unit affords since our teenage daughters came with us on this trip. The 3rd floor unit in Bldg 7 had a gas fireplace, giant tub in the Master BR, a balcony, full kitchen, and full size washer and dryer which came in handy because I flew in from a week long business trip.

The cost of our 3 night package, which required attendance at a Timeshare presentation, was:

$ 199
$ 100 upgrade to a 2 BR unit
- 100 Cashback
====
$ 199

But it also included $ 60 in VP/Slotplay at the Venetian and 20K points in my Holiday Inn account, which will cover 1 or 2 nights at a Holiday Inn hotel in the future. I think it also worked out well for us because the rates for a Saturday night during the first weekend of NCAA March Madness in Las Vegas seemed pretty high.

I think their Marketing department needs to work harder to find affluent people who don't have much financial sense. We were astounded by what a horrible deal it would be to buy from them. If you are curious, here's what they EVENTUALLY GOT AROUND to presenting us with:

$ 39,000... for enough points to get a 2BR unit once a year for 1 Week, and possibly some points left-over for a couple of hotel nights.
$ 1,200... Annual Maintenance Fee

But they would be willing to finance us for just 16.9 % ! ! !

As you might be aware, the cost of a timeshare on the re-sale market is just a small fraction of this, but the maintenance fee will always be there. Which is why a lot of people are willing to sell their timeshare for a fraction of what they purchased it for.

I found it interesting that you can book the exact same 2BR unit on their website for as low as $ 166 per night, which would be in the ballpark of just the annual maintenance fee for the timeshare.

If we ever decide to "snowbird" to Las Vegas for a few months after we retire, I think we would rent a furnished condo unit through VRBO.com or HOMEAWAY.com to see if we like staying in LV for more than a week at a time.

I bought a "used" Timeshare based in Sedona Arizona. It cost me only $1,400 and I can use it at about 8 different places (Las Vegas, Payson, Tucson, Colorado) for no additional charge and because it's based in Sedona and usuable any time during the year I'm able to trade it for anyplace in the world. I just went to Maui for a week this past August.

Don't buy new and if you do buy, do your research. There are a ton of steals out there for timeshares.

ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 31st, 2014 at 12:16:07 PM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

I bought a "used" Timeshare based in Sedona Arizona. It cost me only $1,400 and I can use it at about 8 different places (Las Vegas, Payson, Tucson, Colorado) for no additional charge and because it's based in Sedona and usuable any time during the year I'm able to trade it for anyplace in the world. I just went to Maui for a week this past August.

Don't buy new and if you do buy, do your research. There are a ton of steals out there for timeshares.

ZCore13

If I may ask, was that the price to buy or the maintenance fee? That sounds like an amazing deal.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 31st, 2014 at 12:27:25 PM permalink
Some of these time shares get resold for one dollar just so people can get rid of the mandatory maintenance fee. If you look at the income the "closers" make selling the time shares you know there has to be something wrong. Can you imagine the headaches of inheriting a time share?
Boz
Boz
March 31st, 2014 at 12:33:45 PM permalink
Timeshares are like Sixers tickets in Philly. We call them smashed windshield specials. That is you leave a timeshare deed or Sixers tickets on your dash, someone will break the window and leave more.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 31st, 2014 at 12:37:44 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Some of these time shares get resold for one dollar just so people can get rid of the mandatory maintenance fee. If you look at the income the "closers" make selling the time shares you know there has to be something wrong. Can you imagine the headaches of inheriting a time share?

The evil part of me says buy it for $1 in an LLC and never pay the fee, you have a vacation for about $200. Depending on how long they take to foreclose it could be a few years.

As a guess they take care for this not to happen......
Zcore13
Zcore13
March 31st, 2014 at 12:45:41 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If I may ask, was that the price to buy or the maintenance fee? That sounds like an amazing deal.

The maintenance fee at the time was a little less. It's now up to about $1,100 a year. No cleaning fees or any other "hidden" fees. Originally the company was called ILX, but it's since been purchased by Diamond. I'm hoping for another trip to Hawaii next year. I'd love Australia or Hungary (girlfriend is from there), but the flights from AZ are WAY more across the Atlantic than to Hawaii.

Deals are available. I just looked on Craigslist briefly and found a few. If you're really interested message me. I found what could be a really good one. I'll get more info from the seller and let you know.

ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
March 31st, 2014 at 1:01:58 PM permalink
On politics and finances, aren't conservative people, by definition, more knowledgeable about their personal financial situation? However, there are a lot of people I'd label as conservative that vote "liberally" (Democrat) and liberals that vote "conservatively" (Republican). What we lack here is just a good definition of today's "liberal" and today's "conservative".

I wonder how timeshare presenters would handle a smartass that did the math in front of the class (it isn't that hard) to prove that this is just a gigantic ripoff. Or find a quote for one from the secondary market to the exact same place.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 31st, 2014 at 1:24:41 PM permalink
I've only attended one of these things in my life. I think it was Worldmark by Wyndham or something. During the initial presentation, they had a "special guest presenter" or something, who I think was just another salesperson several rungs up on the ladder. She started describing their special revolution in the timeshare industry, which involved buying "credits," which you could use to book your vacation at any one of their many many fabulous locations (as opposed to buying a share of an actual property, as were the old timeshare deals).

But, as she was revealing this revolution in the timeshare industry, she wrote the word "CREDITS" on the easel at the front of the room. Except she spelled it "CREIDTS" and didn't notice until multiple people in the audience started snickering. Really got the thing off on the right foot :).

I managed to get out of it without too many "NO NO NO NO" moments. I think I told them I liked to go on camping vacations, and a swanky resort wasn't really my style. I believe I only had to get through 2 salesmen before they let me go to the window to collect my free gift, which was a cheap-but-decent-enough-for-me AV system including a DVD player and some speakers with a subwoofer. Except the person at the window was talking on the phone and didn't even acknowledge me for probably 10 minutes until a friendly employee came over and got their attention to give me my free gift.

Anyway, generally not worth the hassle.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
March 31st, 2014 at 4:10:11 PM permalink

Originally the company was called ILX, but it's since been purchased by Diamond.

One of the big selling points they came up with at the end was the ability to purchase last minute (well within 45 days I think) unsold weeks at resorts from $ 299 to $ 329 per week through "RCI LAST CALL". Do you have that option ? I wasn't impressed with the properties that were available when the supervisor guy came over and checked for Las Vegas. The ones that were available were the lower class places, or places way off the strip.

It was fun to research into this after the fact, and that's where I've come up with my idea to be a future "snow-bird" going to Las Vegas in the Winter. If I winterized the house, I could probably save some bucks on the heating bill as well. It looked like premium 2 or 3 BR condos can be rented by the month for $1800 or so. Maybe not rock bottom, but not crazy high either for a furnished place with utilities and cable and internet.....
bahdbwoy
bahdbwoy
  • Threads: 14
March 31st, 2014 at 5:56:51 PM permalink
Diamond means he is with I.I. not RCI. II has Getaways which are discounted rentals essentially. Some deals for off season can get down to under $100... the 299 to 329 is not going to be a peak week even if its last minute... its more like "from 299". a studio in france can easily be 1k so that is where people get disappointed with the misunderstanding that they can call and go anywhere, anytime for a couple hundred. it is always less than renting directly from a resort so you have to understand the value you really are getting.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
April 1st, 2014 at 12:08:26 PM permalink

Be careful the $150 free play is probably not real free play. I would guess its only for certain machines, special promotional machines, like the ones at Casino Royale.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Mission146
Mission146
April 1st, 2014 at 9:31:21 PM permalink
Thanks, Axelwolf, last time the guy asked for my Debit Card, I replied, "From my cold, dead, fingers."
AceTwo
AceTwo
  • Threads: 5
April 2nd, 2014 at 6:46:55 AM permalink
I had the misfortune (or maybe fortune) to have as clients (as external CPA not in the US) a Timeshare Marketing company.
That was about 12 years ago for a period of around 2 years, so my comments is about experiences from then.
First, Timeshare Marketing practices in the US were like 'Mother Tereza' compared to Europe and elsewhere.
Whatever the above posters say they experienced in US, I have seen it in Europe times 10 (if not 100).
The culture among the Timsehare people as vulchers was not only against customers but also among themselves.
Employees trying to screw other employees and higher ups and management / higher ups trying to screw employees.

The modus operandi that I saw invloved what is known in that industry as OPC (Outside Person Contact).
The OPC would approach from the street people who looked affluent, do the questionnaire (so as to confirm that the people were eligible, ie had certain traits: income level etc) and give them a scratchcard 'lottery' ticket who always won a $2 T-shirt (even though it said that they could win something expensive), promise them a free lunch and send them via taxi to a presentation.
At the presentation, a person would confirm again that the customers were eligible.
OPCs were paid based on number of eligible people sent. And no one trusted the OPCs so another person had to confirm that customers were eligible.
Then they went to the sales presentation (supposed to be 2 hours but usually lasted about 4 hours).
The salesmen would brainwash for about 3 hours not mentioning a single word about price. Just the 'dream holiday package' routine.
Then the Sales management person would come with the price and the good cop / bad cop routine. (the 3 hour saleseman is the good cop).
The good cop always manages to get a discount from the bad cop for the customers because he really liked them.
Salemen and Sales management get % on the sale.
There is always a Big deposit and always you must sign now.
Then comes the after sales people trying to collect the balance over the phone.
They also get % on collection of the balance.
They would also threaten people with legal action if someone wanted to cancel (even though the law stated a 14 day cancellation period).
One other piece of information. During the sales presentation (at separate tables for each customer) , you hear at a table screams, champagane opening etc for a deal made. The first one is alwasy fake (customer is timeshare employee) and if sales do not follow additional fake champagne openings will follow.

The statistics were something like:
15% sales to people who attended the presentation.
2/3 completed the sales transaction, 1/3 cancelled afterwards.
So overall sold to around 10% to people attending.
And now the most important statistic. The marketing company got around 2/3 of the price and the developer around 1/3.
And the Developer got a decent profit, so the cost is like 15%-20% of the Price.
So as many people said, it is a ripoff.

When I got this company as a client, I had no idea what Timeshare was and I had no idea to what depth deceptive marketing can go into.
It was like university to me. I think I got wiser afte that experience and I can smell deceptive marketing from a mile (after having seen in practice the worst type of it)
And yes people do fall for it. Even clever people fall for it. Experienced businessmen fall for it. Professionals fall for it.
It is just human nature.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
April 2nd, 2014 at 6:59:55 AM permalink

Thanks, Axelwolf, last time the guy asked for my Debit Card, I replied, "From my cold, dead, fingers."

There have been legitimate ones. I'm not sure what the qualifications are. I know they target couples. I supposes this is so you cant use the excuse, I have to ask my wife/husband.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 2nd, 2014 at 7:21:27 AM permalink
Quote: AceTwo

And yes people do fall for it. Even clever people fall for it. Experienced businessmen fall for it. Professionals fall for it.
It is just human nature.

Informative Post.

as far as people you might not think would fall for it, some such can actually be more gullible than a street-smart person.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
April 2nd, 2014 at 7:33:14 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I'm not sure what the qualifications are. I know they target couples.

They target male/female couples. They will NEVER approach two males or two females, even two that are obviously a couple. Ironically, gay couples, travel more and have more disposable income that most straight couple (as many don't have children). These are the very people they SHOULD be targeting from a business standpoint.
Zcore13
Zcore13
April 2nd, 2014 at 7:37:31 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

They target male/female couples. They will NEVER approach two males or two females, even two that are obviously a couple. Ironically, gay couples, travel more and have more disposable income that most straight couple (as many don't have children). These are the very people they SHOULD be targeting from a business standpoint.

They target MARRIED couples. That is why in the past it was only male/female. That will probably change now or in the near future based on the recent litigation/decisions in many States.

ZCore13
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
April 2nd, 2014 at 8:54:50 AM permalink

They target MARRIED couples. That is why in the past it was only male/female. That will probably change now or in the near future based on the recent litigation/decisions in many States.

ZCore13

Yes, gay couples have just as much right to be swindled as straight ones.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
April 2nd, 2014 at 9:02:30 AM permalink
Quote: bw

Yes, gay couples have just as much right to be swindled as straight ones.

Lol. This is shades of comedian Lewis Black, who on the topic of gay marriage says "why shouldn't gay couples be as miserable as everyone else?" (not trying to turn this into a discussion on gay marriage though).

Now, in response to Zcore13. I get that married couple have the ability to purchase property Together. Along the same lines, why would timeshare's not be interested in single people. It would seem to me, that professional, 30 something single people, would be prime targets, again with disposable income and less financial responsibilities to gobble up their income. But yet timeshare sellers avoid them like the plague.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
April 2nd, 2014 at 9:21:20 AM permalink
I have only been to one of these and I was like 5 so I only have vague memories. My parents took me to one of these things where some guy in a suit talked for hours and walked us around some hotel suite looking place. I never understood why my parents would spend so much time doing that or why they took me, but after reading this I guess they must have had some offer for a free trip if they did the timeshare meeting. I don't even remember where it was.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 2nd, 2014 at 10:31:32 AM permalink
Back in the day, early 80's or so, my folks used to do these presentations just for fun. Never bought one, but they scored a couple of cruises, a color tv, some golf clubs, and some free weekends in resorts. They ended up buying one for 2 weeks worth on the secondary market for 200, a 2 BR beachside condo on the ground floor, and let the condo sell the weeks and pay them (both spring break weeks). They (my mom, now) still make money on it, even after 20 years of maintenance fees; 1 week pays the fee with a little left over, the 2nd's pure profit.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 2nd, 2014 at 1:37:27 PM permalink
Do you have to sit through the entire presentation to get the gift or can you just say in the beginning that your'e just here for the free crap Also can I bring a megaphone and talk into as they are speaking so they get pissed off and just let me leave with the gift? I'm thinking of all types of shenanigans just to cut out early :)
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 2nd, 2014 at 3:52:15 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Do you have to sit through the entire presentation to get the gift or can you just say in the beginning that your'e just here for the free crap Also can I bring a megaphone and talk into as they are speaking so they get pissed off and just let me leave with the gift? I'm thinking of all types of shenanigans just to cut out early :)

They usually don't give you the gift or whatever until AFTER everything is over. So if you use the megaphone and they tell you to GTFO, no free gift for you.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Mission146
Mission146
April 2nd, 2014 at 10:11:41 PM permalink
The only one I ever did was this one in Florida back in 2005 in which they gave us 80% off of a hotel room for three nights. In fact, they gave you the 80% off ahead of time, but you had to make your scheduled appointment with the timeshare guy, or they would charge you the regular rate. Presumably, it was through the hotel, so they already knew you had a credit card, because they didn't ask for one at the appointment.

It was a pretty simple matter, not sure how my then-girlfriend pulled it off, she was 22, I was 21, and we were both in college. Couldn't have bought it if we wanted to...the guy didn't spend a whole lot of time with us.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 2nd, 2014 at 11:18:54 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

They usually don't give you the gift or whatever until AFTER everything is over. So if you use the megaphone and they tell you to GTFO, no free gift for you.

That is a shame. Being in close proximity to timeshare buildings I wanted to try and see what I could get if I told them up front I'm not interested I'm just here for the free crap.

Megaphones and airhorns were on my list of ways to ensure an early end, by blowing it in the salespersons face when they start babbling about something.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 3rd, 2014 at 4:57:25 PM permalink

The timeshare presentation was supposed to last 2 hours, but we couldn't politely extricate ourselves from it for 2 hours and 45 minutes. I'm not sure I could say it was High Pressure, rather they just wouldn't take a firm and repeated "No Thanks" for an answer.

{When you wanted to say you have got to be F-ing kidding me this is the biggest rip-off I have ever seen ! ! ! }

So definitely frustrating. I will probably call the IHG office tomorrow and share my dissatisfaction with the length of the presentation.

Well I called the Holiday Inn timeshare company today and told them I was not satisfied with my experience because I would not have accepted their package if they had been honest up front and told me the presentation would have been nearly 3 hours long.

I ended up speaking to to a supervisor, and she gave me some BS about not being there and therefore not knowing why the presentation took so long (as if it usually doesn't - yeah right) or maybe we asked a lot of questions (we didn't), etc, etc, etc. It lasts so long because I am sure they have research that it wears people down !

Essentially she semi-politely said tough sh**, that it wasn't her problem.

So I sent an e-mail to the corporate office and I'll see what they have to say. I think I deserve another 10K points in my IHG account, and while you're at it, put in another 10K for my wife's time too.

I don't have much leverage, it's not like I stay at Holiday Inns a lot on business trips. Maybe their response will depend on a) How concerned they are about customer satisfaction, and b) How many complaints they get about the Timeshare division tainting their reputation.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 14th, 2014 at 3:31:54 PM permalink

Well I called the Holiday Inn timeshare company today and told them I was not satisfied with my experience because I would not have accepted their package if they had been honest up front and told me the presentation would have been nearly 3 hours long.

I ended up speaking to to a supervisor, and she gave me some BS about not being there and therefore not knowing why the presentation took so long (as if it usually doesn't - yeah right) or maybe we asked a lot of questions (we didn't), etc, etc, etc. It lasts so long because I am sure they have research that it wears people down !

Essentially she semi-politely said tough sh**, that it wasn't her problem.

So I sent an e-mail to the corporate office and I'll see what they have to say. I think I deserve another 10K points in my IHG account, and while you're at it, put in another 10K for my wife's time too.

RESULT:

They recently put another 5K points into my Holiday Inn account for my trouble. That can be worth up to $ 50 if I pick my next IHG hotel stay carefully. So not as much as I wanted, but more than I would have received if I hadn't contacted them.
  • Jump to: