gog
gog
  • Threads: 5
October 7th, 2011 at 10:34:40 AM permalink
Hey guys, here's a card game that I learned ages ago, recently dug it out and it seems to be making for a fun short handed gamble. Thought I'd share it here and hopefully pick up some good strategies along the way :) As a side note, would be great if anyone knows the name of this:

The rules:
1. This is played three handed, with a simplified (less fun imo) version for two players by removing rule #5.
2. Each player picks a suit and gets all 13 cards of it; the fourth pile is shuffled and placed face down the centre. This is the points pile. Aces count as 1 (lowest value), all the way up to king = 13 points
3. Turn over the top card of the points pile. This is the value you will be bidding over for the current round
4. Each player plays a card face down and turns it over at the same time. The highest card played wins the point, everything else is mucked.
5. If two players are tied, the third person will win the round regardless of card played.
(e.g. A queen is turned face up, players A and B both play their kings, C plays a five. C will win 12 points for the round.)
6. If all three are tied, carry it over and the one to win the next round takes both points.
7. Repeat 3-6 until all rounds are played. Highest point total after the 13 rounds wins.

I like this game because its simple - anyone can learn it in 2 minutes, yet can get pretty deep with the guessing game, and you can also argue that the luck factor is removed due to everyone having the same starting hand. Can anyone come up with some strategies for this? I find similarities with one of the questions on the Wizard's math website, where three players compete to play the lowest number, but find this very hard to quantify.
  • Jump to: