drtomoh1
drtomoh1
  • Threads: 1
June 26th, 2016 at 6:12:47 PM permalink
I know better than to play a 6/5 blackjack game. But the time may come where there will be no more 3/2. Am I incorrect in stating that even a 6/5 game will have a lower house edge than almost everything else? (I realize that baccarat, craps, an some video poker would be better). And does basic strategy change in any way for a 6/5 game/ I have not seen any charts. I hope it never comes to this.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 26th, 2016 at 6:39:39 PM permalink
Basic Strategy is the same. If dealer has an Ace showing, you could attempt to get even money (even though even money is not allowed in 6:5 BJ, apparently).

I don't know what the HE is for others games, but I'd think you're right. However, carnival games (UTH, MS, PGP, etc.) have fewer hands per hour.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 26th, 2016 at 8:16:34 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Basic Strategy is the same. If dealer has an Ace showing, you could attempt to get even money (even though even money is not allowed in 6:5 BJ, apparently).

I don't know what the HE is for others games, but I'd think you're right. However, carnival games (UTH, MS, PGP, etc.) have fewer hands per hour.

If/when 3:2 disappears everywhere else, we'll be playing in my basement/bunker. Invitation only, you should sign up for the waiting list now. Free booze already. Working on the H&B thing, I've lost my best contacts.....;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
June 27th, 2016 at 10:48:04 AM permalink
The spread has slowed and perhaps even stopped. It's overtaken the Las Vegas strip low limits and some places downtown. Elsewhere, they have it at single deck and the lowest limits ($1 to $3 minimums). Most of the city and most any $25 table still pays 3-2.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
June 28th, 2016 at 2:28:52 PM permalink
Here is a question about 6/5 BJ. Is it countable with being dealt to the bottom and reshuffled after running out of cards?
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
June 28th, 2016 at 4:35:29 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Here is a question about 6/5 BJ. Is it countable with being dealt to the bottom and reshuffled after running out of cards?

Yes, but the 6:5 variation comes with a -1.39% EV over 3:2. So why play it?
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
June 28th, 2016 at 10:21:55 PM permalink
Sadly my sim doesn't cater for reshuffling mid-hand - but using 6 decks and UK rules I could try various penetrations and see what range of bets would be required to get a profit. Also I've given the AP number - that is the profit gained by watching 100 hands and betting $100 whenever it is in the player's advantage.
2 Decks2/3200 to 1$1.28
1 Deck5/654 to 1$3.71
1/2 Deck11/1233 to 1$6.18

fwiw It looks as if the HE = 1.83% and the player's advantage flips with a count of about 4.3, but I only ran 1m hands for each sim.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
June 29th, 2016 at 12:51:05 AM permalink
Thanks all, thought I hit a possible opportunity, never seen a deck dealt to the last card. Back to craps!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
June 29th, 2016 at 4:15:28 AM permalink
Quote: drtomoh1

Am I incorrect in stating that even a 6/5 game will have a lower house edge than almost everything else?

You can use the Wizard's Blackjack Calculator to find the HE for various rules.

Calculator
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 326
June 29th, 2016 at 4:30:57 AM permalink

carnival games (UTH, MS, PGP, etc.) have fewer hands per hour.

the variance flat-betting is very low as well in BJ- you can expect to experience mostly losing sessions - ever notice all the long faces with people playing BJ? with 6:5 it's gotta be even worse
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 3
June 29th, 2016 at 7:14:08 AM permalink

I know better than to play a 6/5 blackjack game. But the time may come where there will be no more 3/2. Am I incorrect in stating that even a 6/5 game will have a lower house edge than almost everything else? (I realize that baccarat, craps, an some video poker would be better).

Based on the linked calculator, using 8 decks and H17, I get that the house edge is about 2.00%. You can do your own comparisons, but that is not a terrible percentage. One consideration is how many hands per hour you might get as compared to other games.

Quote:

And does basic strategy change in any way for a 6/5 game

No, unless you can get them to offer you "even money" insurance for your blackjack, in which case you should take it instead of declining it.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
June 29th, 2016 at 10:39:02 AM permalink
Quote: MrGoldenSun

I know better than to play a 6/5 blackjack game. But the time may come.

Quote:

And does basic strategy change in any way for a 6/5 game

No, unless you can get them to offer you "even money" insurance for your blackjack, in which case you should take it instead of declining it.

. That appears to be a hasty statement perhaps. Just considering 2-3 card Basic Strategy, non-composition dependent. Is that really correct? The only change from 3:2 BS is the taking of even money ( which they don't seem to offer on 6:5 from what I've heard ) ? I would appreciate a second opinion, not that I doubt MrGoldenSun (actually I am a big fan). It just makes my head spin to consider 6:5, which I am positive I have never played when sober ;-)

<edit> When posting on a SAT Phone from the jungle of Borneo, the 'preview' you see for your post may look absolutely NOTHING (sorry WoN) like the post that others see on their screens. Fair Warning ;-)
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 3
June 29th, 2016 at 1:02:41 PM permalink
I could definitely be wrong. I am not a blackjack pro, or even an expert, just a little better than your average player. I said "no" because I couldn't think of anything, but maybe I am missing something.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 29th, 2016 at 1:39:45 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

the variance flat-betting is very low as well in BJ- you can expect to experience mostly losing sessions - ever notice all the long faces with people playing BJ? with 6:5 it's gotta be even worse

I really don't think 6:5 is all that much worse for the average ploppy or someone who gambles every once in a while (few times a year). They're probably already playing with a 3% disadvantage (I'm guessing), adding an extra 1.5% or whatever is going to make them lose $150 an hour instead of $100 an hour, relatively. Not to mention, I don't think anyone, even an AP, would be able to tell the difference between 3:2 and 6:5 if they were playing it blindly or in a vacuum -- ie: they wouldn't look at results from a 3:2 session and results from a 6:5 session and say "Oh this one is obviously the 6:5 game." The variance in blackjack, IMO, although small especially compared to other games like UTH/craps/MS/etc. outweighs the added -EV for 6:5, at least for those who do not play properly and do not log many hours.

Yes, if you're a local and play several hours a week, or even every day, and play with BS, then I absolutely think you'd notice the difference between 3:2 and 6:5.

I think that is the core of the problem of 6:5 spreading -- people do not notice (and pretty much cannot notice) they are losing more than they should be (should be, as in playing a 3:2 game).

I think that effect(affect?) or phenomenon is even worse in VP. Play a game like 9/5 DDB vs 9/6 DDB or even 10/6 DDB, the results are not going to jump out at you, showing how awful one game is compared to another.

But, I'm not saying APs, frequent gamblers, or casual gamblers/ploppies should not care about the paytable or house edge they're playing against....but for those who gamble every now and then, they aren't going to be able to realize they're losing more in the long run.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
June 29th, 2016 at 4:56:50 PM permalink

I really don't think 6:5 is all that much worse for the average ploppy or someone who gambles every once in a while (few times a year). They're probably already playing with a 3% disadvantage (I'm guessing), adding an extra 1.5% or whatever is going to make them lose $150 an hour instead of $100 an hour, relatively. Not to mention, I don't think anyone, even an AP, would be able to tell the difference between 3:2 and 6:5 if they were playing it blindly or in a vacuum -- ie: they wouldn't look at results from a 3:2 session and results from a 6:5 session and say "Oh this one is obviously the 6:5 game." The variance in blackjack, IMO, although small especially compared to other games like UTH/craps/MS/etc. outweighs the added -EV for 6:5, at least for those who do not play properly and do not log many hours.

Yes, if you're a local and play several hours a week, or even every day, and play with BS, then I absolutely think you'd notice the difference between 3:2 and 6:5.

I think that is the core of the problem of 6:5 spreading -- people do not notice (and pretty much cannot notice) they are losing more than they should be (should be, as in playing a 3:2 game).

I think that effect(affect?) or phenomenon is even worse in VP. Play a game like 9/5 DDB vs 9/6 DDB or even 10/6 DDB, the results are not going to jump out at you, showing how awful one game is compared to another.

But, I'm not saying APs, frequent gamblers, or casual gamblers/ploppies should not care about the paytable or house edge they're playing against....but for those who gamble every now and then, they aren't going to be able to realize they're losing more in the long run.

That was a long and eloquent, well worded, response. But I think maybe you did not answer the question. Just because a question is asked, No one should feel obligated to answer here. Ignore is frequently the optimal response.
However, I think the question was, were there any changes to Basic Strategy above and beyond 'take even money' when in a drrunken stupor you find yourself at a 6:5 table vs a 3:2?

Of course my memory of events and participants is always subject to question, though they are for sale on the open market to anyone who is grasping at 'last straws'. I have successfully confused the collective minds of more than one jury. Nuf said.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
June 29th, 2016 at 5:45:58 PM permalink
When you are playing the game 21 you wiil get a blackjack about once every 21 hands on average. With a $10 bet you win $15 in a 3:2 game when getting a blackjack, whereas in a 6:5 game your $10 bet would net you a $12 win. So you are losing three dollars every time you get a blackjack in a 6:5 game vs a 3:2 game. Stating that the 6:5 game has a -1.39% EV vs a 3:2 game (all other rules being the same) is just dry math to some people, but losing $3 per $10 bet each time you get a blackjack is easier to understand.

I know I am stating the obvious, but some beginners and casual players might appreciate the simplicity of the difference in 6:5 vs 3:2 blackjack.

Or you could look at it this way: With a $10 flat bet at blackjack and a -1.39% EV you are losing 13.9 cents per play on average. So if you're playing 100 hands per hour you're losing $13.90 an hour by playing at a 6:5 game vs a 3:2 game.
  • Jump to: