7 votes (35%)
3 votes (15%)
3 votes (15%)

20 members have voted

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 27th, 2012 at 12:32:31 PM permalink
The Powerball lottery jackpot is now up to half a billion USD. As there are now only 175,000,000 combinations of numbers, how many tickets will split the jackpot Wednesday night?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 27th, 2012 at 12:56:44 PM permalink
i INTEND TO BE THE ONLY WINNER.

But i will fly 100 forum members to Vegas for one hell of a party !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 27th, 2012 at 1:11:50 PM permalink
How many tickets do you suppose they'll sell?

Anwyay, I'd love to see what happens if a large jackpot, such as this one, were to be won by the combo 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
November 27th, 2012 at 1:31:58 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Anwyay, I'd love to see what happens if a large jackpot, such as this one, were to be won by the combo 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

Well, the last drawing was up to $213M for the cash option before taxes, and now they estimate sales to make it $327.4M before taxes, I have a feeling it will be adjusted again, but it doesn't...

$1 of Powerball typically goes to the prize pool. 36.05 cents are set aside for the non-jackpot prizes, and the remainder for the jackpot (63.95 cents).

So the cash jackpot has increased by $114.4M, so this means they are estimating that $114.4M/$0.6395 = 178.8 million tickets will be sold. If this number holds steady, there would still be a 36.2% chance of a rollover given totally random purchases.

Again, I think this number will still be adjusted upward more. It happened multiple times with the big Mega Millions drawing.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 27th, 2012 at 1:32:33 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I have that one! and 1,2,3,5,8,13,21 too! and 11,10,17,7,5. and 8,6,7,5,30,9:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 27th, 2012 at 1:43:52 PM permalink
So has this jackpot approached +EV territory yet? I know that's a hard question to answer given the original question in this thread - what's the probability of a split?

But taking the dead-simple view, assuming no splits, is it +EV taking into account taxes? Just curious...probably not going to burn through $160 of tickets like I did with the Mega-Millions earlier this year...
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 27th, 2012 at 1:45:55 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

But taking the dead-simple view, assuming no splits, is it +EV taking into account taxes? Just curious...probably not going to burn through $160 of tickets like I did with the Mega-Millions earlier this year...

The cash option is $327MM, and you'd pay 35% in federal taxes. That leaves $212MM. Depending on your state/local taxes, it might be +EV for a single winner. I also think the jackpot will creep up tonight and tomorrow.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 27th, 2012 at 1:53:17 PM permalink
If, somehow, nobody wins tomorrow, Saturday is going to be intense! It's a Saturday and it's the first of the month, so just about everybody in the country will have just been paid.
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 27th, 2012 at 2:02:19 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

The cash option is $327MM, and you'd pay 35% in federal taxes. That leaves $212MM. Depending on your state/local taxes, it might be +EV for a single winner. I also think the jackpot will creep up tonight and tomorrow.

Each ticket is $2, so no way in hell this is +EV after taxes. With jackpot splitting it's even -EV before taxes ($1.79 return per $2 ticket). But this is the moment Powerball brass has been waiting for. The inflation of the ticket price creating a jackpot that people start going crazy over. I've been surprised we didn't see a jackpot this high sooner. Powerball has hit way more than average this year.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
November 27th, 2012 at 2:04:13 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Each ticket is $2, so no way in hell this is +EV after taxes. With jackpot splitting it's even -EV before taxes ($1.79 return per $2 ticket). But this is the moment Powerball brass has been waiting for. The inflation of the ticket price creating a jackpot that people start going crazy over. I've been surprised we didn't see a jackpot this high sooner. Powerball has hit way more than average this year.

Ahhh, I didn't know tickets were $2. In that case, I'll wait for the next drawing to start throwing my money away and dreaming.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 27th, 2012 at 2:09:00 PM permalink

Ahhh, I didn't know tickets were $2. In that case, I'll wait for the next drawing to start throwing my money away and dreaming.

I obviously forgot that as well. Which is sad since I already bought tickets;-)
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
November 27th, 2012 at 2:10:19 PM permalink
Also with however many tickets get sold the probability of a second winner starts eating into your EV noticeably. I'll leave the math for someone else, the Wiz did it for Mega on here somewhere.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 27th, 2012 at 2:21:07 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

Also with however many tickets get sold the probability of a second winner starts eating into your EV noticeably. I'll leave the math for someone else, the Wiz did it for Mega on here somewhere.

I did it quickly and got a weighted average of a $250M cash jackpot when factoring in splits:

Winners Probability
0 0.3620961745
1 0.3678337424
2 0.1868311112
3 0.0632638425
4 0.016066571
5 0.0032642304
6 0.0005526589

For this drawing, it's most likely to have a sole winner. Sales need to reach ~350M tickets, which would create a cash option of ~$437M, before 2 winners would be the most likely result.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 27th, 2012 at 2:59:20 PM permalink

I'll leave the math for someone else, the Wiz did it for Mega on here somewhere.

I'll do it for Powerball too.

First, they changed their rules effective with the 1/18/12 drawing, in part to charge $2 a ticket. Looking only at the data since then, we study the relationship between jackpot size and ticket sales. As with Megamillions it is a exponential relationship. Using regression, the number of tickets sold (in millions) can be estimated as 10.306*exp(0.0057*j), where j is the jackpot size (in millions).

The Powerball web site estimates the current jackpot at 500 million. If you put 500 in that formula get an estimated 173.5 million ticket sales. The probability of winning is coincidentally pretty similar at 1 in 175.2 million. So, the estimated number of winners is 0.99. The probability of no winners is 37.15%.

By the way, the Wizard's punishment for purchasing lottery tickets is one pushup per ticket.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 27th, 2012 at 3:01:00 PM permalink

I'll leave the math for someone else, the Wiz did it for Mega on here somewhere.

First, they changed their rules effective with the 1/18/12 drawing, in part to charge $2 a ticket. Looking only at the data since then, I studied the relationship between jackpot size and ticket sales. As with Megamillions, it is an exponential relationship. Using regression, the number of tickets sold (in millions) can be estimated as 10.306*exp(0.0057*j), where j is the jackpot size (in millions).

The Powerball web site estimates the current jackpot at 500 million. If you put 500 in that formula get an estimated 173.5 million ticket sales. The probability of winning is coincidentally pretty similar at 1 in 175.2 million. So, the estimated number of winners is 0.99. The probability of no winners is 37.15%.

I find the optimal jackpot to buy tickets, considering jackpot sharing, to be $475 million. Considering it is at $500 now, it close to the optimal jackpot size to buy.

If we ignore taxes and the annuity, I actually show it is +EV, with an expected return of $2.17 for a $2 ticket.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
November 27th, 2012 at 3:07:37 PM permalink

Yeah, it gets complicated when you take into account the probability of splitting as the jackpot and hence, number of tickets sold, goes up. The Wiz and Bob both suspected that no traditional* jackpot lottery would ever actually go +EV when taking into account this effect, as well as taxes. Not sure if I 100% agree but it seems likely they are correct.

*not counting stuff like the Massachusetts Cash WinFall thing which was an aberration and appropriately exploited by sharps with money.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
November 27th, 2012 at 3:15:59 PM permalink
Here's a decent article on how only millionaires should play the lottery, even if it's +EV. Essentially, even if the return is positive due to a large jackpot, the Kelly criterion dictates that you should bet an incredibly small amount of money - i.e., less than one ticket. Unless you're incredibly rich.

If I messed up the summary, sorry.
ahiromu
ahiromu
November 27th, 2012 at 3:18:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

First, they changed their rules effective with the 1/18/12 drawing, in part to charge $2 a ticket. Looking only at the data since then, I studied the relationship between jackpot size and ticket sales. As with Megamillions, it is an exponential relationship. Using regression, the number of tickets sold (in millions) can be estimated as 10.306*exp(0.0057*j), where j is the jackpot size (in millions).

I find the optimal jackpot to buy tickets, considering jackpot sharing, to be $475 million. Considering it is at $500 now, it close to the optimal jackpot size to buy.

Thank you, let's hope for that 37% chance to see how crazy it gets if the jackpot makes it up to 700-800m.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
November 27th, 2012 at 3:20:08 PM permalink
I can't find the annuity option amount anywhere on the Powerball website. I think I'm just tired: if you choose the annuity, you get the full jackpot minus taxes, right?
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 27th, 2012 at 3:23:46 PM permalink

Because if it gets any higher, people will buy like crazy and suppress any value found from the rollovers? And the suppression of the extreme happiness one would get from being a sole winner? Although Jack Whittaker's life has sorta sucked since he pulled that off. What is a little sad to me is that this draw is still -EV before taxes, and future sales/increased jackpot splitting will probably keep it that way, or barely +EV before taxes at best.
ahiromu
ahiromu
November 27th, 2012 at 3:25:51 PM permalink
Look at the asterisk

Speaking as the son of an accountant (and a nerd myself), you should also take into account the time-value of money. Full jackpot in 30 payments.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 27th, 2012 at 3:28:16 PM permalink

I can't find the annuity option amount anywhere on the Powerball website. I think I'm just tired: if you choose the annuity, you get the full jackpot minus taxes, right?

In general, you will get about half the jackpot before taxes, if you select the lump sum. The highest federal tax bracket is 35% for now. That is pretty likely to go up on Jan 1, due to the fiscal cliff, but that is another topic. So, not counting state tax, I would estimate the winner actually sees 32.5% of the money.
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 27th, 2012 at 3:29:36 PM permalink

Yes, but it comes in 30 payments. Taxes are due on the amount paid that year. So you better hope Republicans rebound politically if you pick an annuity; also living 30 more years would be good idea. Winnings will still be paid out to your estate upon death, however.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
November 27th, 2012 at 3:32:13 PM permalink

In general, you will get about half the jackpot before taxes, if you select the lump sum. The highest federal tax bracket is 35% for now. That is pretty likely to go up on Jan 1, due to the fiscal cliff, but that is another topic. So, not counting state tax, I would estimate the winner actually sees 32.5% of the money.

Right, but I don't want the lump sum. If I win, I'm taking the annuity over 30 years. I think that would make this drawing +EV even including taxes?

I will trade you my lottery-buying pushups for your soul-nomenclature-pushups.
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 27th, 2012 at 3:33:13 PM permalink

Right, but I don't want the lump sum. If I win, I'm taking the annuity over 30 years. I think that would make this drawing +EV even including taxes?

I will trade you my lottery-buying pushups for your soul-nomenclature-pushups.

No, because Powerball will be $5 a play by 2042.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
November 27th, 2012 at 3:41:34 PM permalink

Withholding depends on the state you purchased the ticket in. Some states do not have income taxes, but Federal withholding is 35% for the top income bracket. According to the Powerball FAQ, the annuity option is 30 graduated payments over 29 years. The winner has 60 days to decide whether to let the lottery invest the jackpot fund for 29 years with annual payments of principal and interest (less withholding each year), or take a single cash payment of the entire jackpot fund (less withholding for income taxes).
ahiromu
ahiromu
November 27th, 2012 at 3:43:10 PM permalink

I think that would make this drawing +EV even including taxes?

Time-value of money. Basically, your annuity isn't adjusted for inflation every year and that's why the "cash option" is nowhere close to the jackpot value. They only have so much "cash on hand" and if you choose the annuity they throw it into an account that pays you said annuity every year until it's gone.

There's a disagreement between people whether or not to include taxes on winnings when determining the EV of the cash option, but regardless if you choose that then you can put what's left over in an account that will build up over time.
ahiromu
ahiromu
November 27th, 2012 at 3:45:03 PM permalink
My option for these really high jackpots has always been cash option > take out 2% every year. The rest can grow well over 2% + inflation every year and 2% would mean staying in a Bellagio suite with a 40k+ bankroll every week. My daydreaming hasn't gotten past all that gambling.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
November 27th, 2012 at 4:39:37 PM permalink

By the way, the Wizard's punishment for purchasing lottery tickets is one pushup per ticket.

Oh man. I'm going to be a half-billionaire and I'll be in great shape! Win win!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
November 27th, 2012 at 4:45:23 PM permalink

Here's a decent article on how only millionaires should play the lottery, even if it's +EV. Essentially, even if the return is positive due to a large jackpot, the Kelly criterion dictates that you should bet an incredibly small amount of money - i.e., less than one ticket. Unless you're incredibly rich.

Allow me to rebut:

$2 is nothing. I tip a waitress more than that for a free drink.

A vanishingly small chance of a life-changing amount has some value to me. Plus, checking the numbers is fun, so I get some entertainment even when I lose. And, opportunities like this don't come along that often. So it's not like I'm doing this all the time. It doesn't really "add up".

My strategy is to spend some amount of money that I don't really care much about. $100 seems like that amount, for me. If I spend $100 or so a year on lottery tickets, it won't affect my life in any way.

I'll match Buzz's offer, too. If I win, big party in Vegas, and you are all invited.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 27th, 2012 at 5:12:54 PM permalink
If I win, I will also put out a hit on this heartless bastard.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/27/15484276-neighbor-arrested-in-murder-of-arkansas-girl-found-in-chains?lite=
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
November 27th, 2012 at 5:21:39 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

If I win, I will also put out a hit on this heartless bastard.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/27/15484276-neighbor-arrested-in-murder-of-arkansas-girl-found-in-chains?lite=

I think this statement crosses some kind of line, but I can't say that I wouldn't be happy if the big B hits the big one.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
November 27th, 2012 at 5:26:11 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I think this statement crosses some kind of line

I have to agree. Threatening to commit a felony, even in jest, is probably a bad idea.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 27th, 2012 at 6:00:49 PM permalink

If we ignore taxes and the annuity, I actually show it is +EV, with an expected return of $2.17 for a $2 ticket.

You darn right, Wiz!!!

I owe you two push-ups for PB, by the way.

I also make a similar offer to have a big throw down party with our WoV members should I win the jackpot. It will be at a casino somewhere, but I don't know if it will be Vegas. A fair amount of you guys have already done Vegas, so we'll find a casino somewhere where most of our Members have never been.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
November 27th, 2012 at 7:00:46 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Oh man. I'm going to be a half-billionaire and I'll be in great shape! Win win!

Awww, man, they don't sell them in CA! Socialists! I guess I'm going to remain fat and poor.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 27th, 2012 at 7:30:04 PM permalink

I have to agree. Threatening to commit a felony, even in jest, is probably a bad idea.

Who said it was in jest ?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
November 27th, 2012 at 9:16:42 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Who said it was in jest ?

My point is that it's a bad idea, either way. It seems to be an even worse idea if you're going to follow through. I also assume that you know that, which is why I assumed it was in jest.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
November 28th, 2012 at 9:15:10 AM permalink

Allow me to rebut:

$2 is nothing. I tip a waitress more than that for a free drink.

A vanishingly small chance of a life-changing amount has some value to me. Plus, checking the numbers is fun, so I get some entertainment even when I lose. And, opportunities like this don't come along that often. So it's not like I'm doing this all the time. It doesn't really "add up".

My strategy is to spend some amount of money that I don't really care much about. $100 seems like that amount, for me. If I spend $100 or so a year on lottery tickets, it won't affect my life in any way.

I'll match Buzz's offer, too. If I win, big party in Vegas, and you are all invited.

I don't necessarily agree with the article. I just thought it was interesting, especially from a gambling perspective :)
ahiromu
ahiromu
November 28th, 2012 at 9:41:33 AM permalink
Upgraded to 550/360.

As per the Wizard's equation, 1.35 winners and just over 25% chance at no winner.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
November 28th, 2012 at 11:33:21 AM permalink
I have a real hard time believing there won't be a winner. 25% seems awfully high. I read that they are selling 100K tickets PER MINUTE.
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 28th, 2012 at 11:55:22 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I have a real hard time believing there won't be a winner. 25% seems awfully high. I read that they are selling 100K tickets PER MINUTE.

It's correct if they are correct on their estimate.

And if they are selling 100K per minute for the next 8 hours, that's only 48M tickets. I'm guessing that number included dead periods (in missouri, it's illegal to buy lottery tickets from 2 to 5 am, iirc)

The current jackpot estimate implies there are roughly 230M tickets that will be sold.

No winners given random tickets is:

Probability of not winning raised to the power of the number of tickets sold.

(175,223,509/175,223,510)^230,000,000 = 0.269
bushman
bushman
  • Threads: 9
November 28th, 2012 at 1:27:13 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

It's correct if they are correct on their estimate.

And if they are selling 100K per minute for the next 8 hours, that's only 48M tickets. I'm guessing that number included dead periods (in missouri, it's illegal to buy lottery tickets from 2 to 5 am, iirc)

The current jackpot estimate implies there are roughly 230M tickets that will be sold.

No winners given random tickets is:

Probability of not winning raised to the power of the number of tickets sold.

(175,223,509/175,223,510)^230,000,000 = 0.269

I am with you and what you said. My question to you is how and where did you find the information on how the monies spent on the game are broken down? I have not found boo on the Powerball site.
Never count your winnings at hour 23 of a 24-hour drive.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
November 28th, 2012 at 2:07:42 PM permalink
got my 1 ticket
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 28th, 2012 at 2:11:28 PM permalink
Quote: slyther

got my 1 ticket

That's all it takes.
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 28th, 2012 at 2:13:05 PM permalink
Quote: bushman

I am with you and what you said. My question to you is how and where did you find the information on how the monies spent on the game are broken down? I have not found boo on the Powerball site.

Well, I did make one assumption since I failed to find it in writing, but it's fairly common with major lotteries, and I do vaguely remember reading this fact applied to Powerball long ago. I assumed 50% of sales go to the prize pool (i.e. $1 for every $2 ticket). The prizes and odds are listed here: http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_prizes.asp

So if you do all the math, you'll find that prizes that aren't the jackpot are worth 36.05 cents. So 63.95 cents go to the jackpot. Then I looked at the difference in the cash values between the 2 jackpots $147M divide this by 0.6395 to get 230M tickets.
newuser
newuser
  • Threads: 0
November 28th, 2012 at 3:46:10 PM permalink
anyone know what the odds drop if i playmy numbers with the 35 powerball numbers?
newuser
newuser
November 28th, 2012 at 3:47:37 PM permalink
Quote: newuser

anyone know what the odds drop if i playmy numbers with the 35 powerball numbers?

newuser
newuser
November 28th, 2012 at 3:50:25 PM permalink
do you know the odd if i play all 35 powerball numbers with my 5 regular numbers
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 28th, 2012 at 3:54:30 PM permalink
Quote: newuser

do you know the oddsin i play all 35powerball numbers withmy 5 regular numbers

35 in 175,223,510 or 1 in 5,006,386. You will also win $34M more if you would be lucky enough to hit your 5 white ball choices.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 28th, 2012 at 4:11:42 PM permalink
Don't waste your money. I just bought the winning ticket.
  • Jump to: