Fearsurgeon
Fearsurgeon
  • Threads: 1
September 18th, 2012 at 7:01:29 PM permalink
Ok, so on the wizard of odds baccarat page it's been calculated that the house edge on the dragon bonus for the player bet is around 2.65% and for the banker bet 9.37%.
My two questions:

Could you explain the large discrepancy in the two house edges?
The charts that are on that page do not include non-natural ties which instead of pushing are lost. How does that factor in?

Oh and a third question: there is a 10% difference in house edge between tie bets that pay 8-1 and tie bets that pay 9-1? Is this true and can you explain?
Thanks for any and all help!
Fearsurgeon
Fearsurgeon
September 18th, 2012 at 7:52:13 PM permalink
Ok, I did my math and I get the answer to the third question. So here's another third question:

With 8 decks and 9-1 payment on a tie, what would be the expected outcomes if one were to bet 1 unit on the tie, 1unit on the dragon and 2 units on the player? What about with 2 units on banker?
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
September 18th, 2012 at 8:01:28 PM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
September 18th, 2012 at 9:37:32 PM permalink
Quote: Fearsurgeon

Ok, so on the wizard of odds baccarat page it's been calculated that the house edge on the dragon bonus for the player bet is around 2.65% and for the banker bet 9.37%.
My two questions:

Could you explain the large discrepancy in the two house edges?
The charts that are on that page do not include non-natural ties which instead of pushing are lost. How does that factor in?

Oh and a third question: there is a 10% difference in house edge between tie bets that pay 8-1 and tie bets that pay 9-1? Is this true and can you explain?
Thanks for any and all help!

Ahh...it's the Baccarat drawing rules...!
Really. Because the drawing rules are different between player and banker sides, the banker has an advantage aside from the commission or pushed hand. Banker hands win more often with winning 4's, 5's and 6's, hands that were drawn to, but win by a smaller (lower paying) margin.
For that reason, in developing Baccarat side bets that use a range of Baccarat hands (such as SHFL's Dragon Bonus paytable), you will have either differing HE percentages between the player and banker payoffs, or use slightly differing payout tables between Player side bet wins and Banker side bet wins.

This makes Baccarat side bet design a bit complicated, a bit of a tricky balancing act. I do note that many Bac side bets are either based on the number of cards drawn, or the occurance of a single specific trigger hand, easy stuff to develop. Got to give Shufflemaster's Dragon Bonus paytable some kudos.....
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Fearsurgeon
Fearsurgeon
September 19th, 2012 at 9:31:14 AM permalink
Thanks guys. I played baccarat for the first time at the Hard Rock last weekend and fell in love with the game.
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
September 19th, 2012 at 11:08:38 AM permalink
Paigowdan is exactly right; the difference between the two is in the drawing rules.

Here's an old photo of Sinatra dealing cash-on-the-table Baccarat at the Sands. Behind the gentleman to Frank's left is a very large display explaining the drawing rules to players. Since that time the rules have slipped further and further into the background, to the point where many players only have the most inchoate awareness of their existence.

There is a chart about a third of the way down this page, if anyone is curious.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
September 19th, 2012 at 11:29:32 AM permalink
What a cool picture!
Vote for Nobody 2020!
  • Jump to: