Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
September 30th, 2010 at 7:41:53 AM permalink
I am a Flash programmer, and enjoy making (and playing) games. This may be a pipe-dream, but if I (or anyone) were to create a spin-off or sequel to Dice Wars, what kind of features would you like to see?

I realize a lot of these questions, when answered "yes", would take away the simplicity that people enjoy about Dice Wars. Perhaps choosing only one or two of these options would be best, instead of piling them all into a new version.

Maps
Would you want randomized maps, or set maps you could choose?
Do you like the hex-based map, or would a square-grid based map be just as good?

Placement
Is the random placement ok, or would you like to pick your regions round-robin style?

Alliances/Teams
Would you like to be able to join forces with another player?
How about 2-player teams?

Different Dice
Do you prefer everyone having 6-sided dice?
What about 4-sided and 8-sided?

SidesMax DiceMin RollMax RollAvg Roll

Battles
Should a successful battle overtake a region outright?
Should a losing battle knock you down to one die?

Maneuvering
When winning a battle, should players be able to choose how many dice go into the taken-over region?
Should players be able to push dice through their territories, to bring more dice to the front lines?

Bonuses
Should certain rolls be worth more? (pairs, triples)
Should players have the opportunity to use Power Dice? (Power Dice always roll highest number)
How about Double Dice? (Die value is worth double)
Is random placement of end-of-turn bonus dice ok, or would you like to be able to choose where at least SOME of those dice go?

History
Do you like being able to watch the game again after completion?

Multi-Player
I think it's obvious from previous threads that people would love to play against other online players. However, this is out of my scope of programming ability.

Any other ideas? I am semi-familiar with Risk, and know some of the ideas listed above are similar to Risk's gameplay.
-Dween!
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 30th, 2010 at 7:45:02 AM permalink
Quote: Dween

Multi-Player
I think it's obvious from previous threads that people would love to play against other online players. However, this is out of my scope of programming ability.

Maybe not - you just need a server to build on. Try this to start: http://www.smartfoxserver.com
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
September 30th, 2010 at 8:29:20 AM permalink
Quote: Dween

Maneuvering
When winning a battle, should players be able to choose how many dice go into the taken-over region?
Should players be able to push dice through their territories, to bring more dice to the front lines?

On one hand, the way the game is set up could be seen as a flaw; all dice move from a territory except the placeholder. On the other hand, it is currently part of the winning strategy. Dice are built up from back to front. Build up a total dice advantage, then attack so that there is a line of singles or doubles through your stacks. The computer dumps its own stacks trying to split you up, and on your turn you mop up its string of singles and grab the originating territory(s). If it was the other way, where you could move dice around, it would be just another war game.
A falling knife has no handle.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 30th, 2010 at 9:11:32 AM permalink
Just found this on the 'net:

http://www.kdice.com/

Have fun...
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 30th, 2010 at 3:03:31 PM permalink
Maps

Randomized. The dice wars way is good.

Placement

Random.

Alliances/Teams

I oppose them. The best way to prevent them is to have a chat feature.

Different Dice

Six-sided.

Battles

Should a successful battle overtake a region outright? Yes.
Should a losing battle knock you down to one die? Yes.

Maneuvering

Choose.

I like the Risk rule of one deployment per turn.

Bonuses
Should certain rolls be worth more? (pairs, triples)

No.

Should players have the opportunity to use Power Dice? (Power Dice always roll highest number)

No.

How about Double Dice? (Die value is worth double)

No.

Is random placement of end-of-turn bonus dice ok, or would you like to be able to choose where at least SOME of those dice go?

I'd prefer to choose where the armies go, like in Risk.

History
Do you like being able to watch the game again after completion?

Yes.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
SilverlightDev
SilverlightDev
  • Threads: 0
November 25th, 2010 at 6:27:39 PM permalink
May want to check out www.micewars.com.

It has a manual placement option.
jurgz
jurgz
April 4th, 2011 at 12:56:35 AM permalink
The game you want to make kinda already exists for a few years: it's called KDice

some of the features you talk about haven't been developed yet but would be cool. The site owner doesn't have that much time atm to make new variations, maybe you could contact him and try work something out with him. I am a moderator for that site, maybe I can get you into contact with him if you want.
jurgz
jurgz
April 4th, 2011 at 12:59:21 AM permalink
I forgot to say, if you want to try that game out, maybe use my referral link, I get referral stars for bringing people to the site :P

(sorry if I can't put links, I closed the forum rules too fast)

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 4th, 2011 at 3:52:23 AM permalink
I concur with the Wizard pretty closely. However, I thought it would be better if when you lost a battle, you only decreased to an amount related to how well the other side rolled. IIRC you do go down to minimum strength.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: