3 votes (15.78%)
2 votes (10.52%)
6 votes (31.57%)

19 members have voted

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
June 12th, 2017 at 3:00:12 PM permalink
If I can get the Monday off I'll probably head up to my brother in laws in Beaverton, wake up and head to Salem, OR. I think the Oregon coast is not a good idea as there is good chance of Fog and the more inland you go the better the chance of clear skies.

But with elNino still acting up and weird weather patterns hitting the Northwest I would not be surprised if cloud was the order of the day in Oregon.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 12th, 2017 at 5:36:20 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

I expect we will have "Jackson Holes" across the entire path of the eclipse. Unable to get hotel rooms in the direct path (because those rooms were grabbed earlier), many plan to stay within about 100+ miles of full eclipse and drive to the "totality" area a few hours before the eclipse occurs.

I plan to see near Huntington OR, just off the I-84. Hopefully a major interstate won't get jammed up. Just to be safe, I'll try to arrive two hours early.

Quote: boymimbo

If I can get the Monday off I'll probably head up to my brother in laws in Beaverton, wake up and head to Salem, OR. I think the Oregon coast is not a good idea as there is good chance of Fog and the more inland you go the better the chance of clear skies.

The Oregon coast in the morning does indeed have a high chance of being cloudy or foggy. Your chances will be much better in the flat eastern part of the state.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
June 12th, 2017 at 8:47:04 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

I think there are going to be a LOT of disappointed people who hope to see the full totality of the eclipse, but wind up "stuck" somewhere en route. As Boz sez, "They just don't have the infrastructure to handle it."

I have to drive across most of the country about then and it would be easy for me to schedule it so I'd be in MO at the right time. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. I'm thinking that the traffic, even on the highway, will be horrific before, during, and after the eclipse. An NPR report said hundreds of thousands will drive to see this, and that's a lot of cars on already busy roads.

As much as I'd like to see it, I think I'm going to pass and make my drive a few days later.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 12th, 2017 at 9:22:50 PM permalink
My advice at this point, given that every hotel room within 100 miles of the totality line has been booked, and the traffic predictions the day of, is to drive the night before to the ideal location and then pitch a tent somewhere or sleep in your car. I also wouldn't rule out Air B&B. That is how I found a room at a small B&B that probably isn't big enough to be noticed on sites like Travelocity.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 12th, 2017 at 10:04:48 PM permalink
Does anyone here remember "Hands Across America"? I think this event will be alot like that, crowded in the cities and not so much in the big spaces in between. There are literally hundreds of thousands of square miles in the zone of totality. There's going to be plenty of room in the more remote areas. Just plan to be there, rather than Casper, WY or Kansas City, MO.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
June 13th, 2017 at 6:41:43 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I plan to see near Huntington OR, just off the I-84. Hopefully a major interstate won't get jammed up. Just to be safe, I'll try to arrive two hours early.

Good idea to arrive early. Not much along that stretch of I-84, so you only have to worry about traffic from Pendleton (to the North) and Boise (to the South).

Even though Huntington has fewer than 500 residents, it may be able to handle whatever traffic it receives. Maybe. Best I can tell, there's no "there" there. One small grocery, 3 diners, and NO places to park. Wouldn't take much to cause big problems.
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
June 13th, 2017 at 11:55:12 AM permalink
I made a reservation last year in Mt. Vernon, IL, about 30 miles outside totality, and about 300 miles from where I live. Carbondale is closest to the center of totality, but it's a NASA designated viewing center and likely to be crazy. My plan is to go to Pyramid State Recreation Area south of Pinckneyville, IL, and get there early, maybe around 7 AM. The place is huge and doesn't appear to take camping reservations, so I'm hoping for a stress free viewing experience. Any advice? I have no idea what to expect as far as crowds.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 13th, 2017 at 12:16:01 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Thanks Doc! I will definitely be there with my two sons and possibly another Atlantan.

Looking forward to seeing Doc again and meeting SOOPOO and others ... makes 7 minimum ... Doc, are you really getting a count anywhere near 15?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 13th, 2017 at 12:22:09 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Does anyone here remember "Hands Across America"? I think this event will be alot like that, crowded in the cities and not so much in the big spaces in between. There are literally hundreds of thousands of square miles in the zone of totality. There's going to be plenty of room in the more remote areas. Just plan to be there, rather than Casper, WY or Kansas City, MO.

IIRC, Hands Across America did include quite a bit of "backroads America"; the only real gaps were in the Mojave Desert. Also, there is far more interest in driving, say, 300 miles to the path of totality than to stand around holding hands in a giant line.

As for the "hundreds of thousands of square miles," how much of that land is private property?

Here's something I didn't consider until recently; on the 50th anniversary of the opening of San Francisco's Bay Bridge, traffic on the bridge came to a stop because people were getting out of their cars on the bridge to watch the fireworks show. I have a feeling something similar is going to happen during the eclipse, and most roads heading anywhere near the path of totality will be clogged by people who want a "prime viewing spot" - "hey, they can't tow ALL of us away, and even if they could, how could they get here?"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
June 13th, 2017 at 12:22:21 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Doc, are you really getting a count anywhere near 15?

No, I just wanted to be certain that our WoV group and spouses are covered, even if we have some who decide/commit very late. I have no qualms about passing out any extra eclipse-viewing glasses to strangers who come completely unprepared.
Doc
Doc
June 14th, 2017 at 11:46:34 AM permalink
Just to confirm, I received the eclipse-viewing glasses in today's mail and tried them out. We have almost completely clear skies today, and the sun was almost directly overhead. With the glasses on, I could not see a dang thing except the sun itself -- a small, orange disk in the sky. It hardly looked bright at all through these lenses. I am convinced that these give adequate protection. They work reasonably well over top of my regular eyeglasses.

On the other hand, that disk of the sun looked surprisingly small, and I know that had I not read the instructions, I would be sorely tempted to use binoculars or a telescope to really see the details of the beginning eclipse. However, the instructions make it clear that the glasses are not to be used with such magnifying lenses. Perhaps I can restrain myself. Maybe not.

Now I have to review the article I have saved someplace about photographing eclipses. I have to make a final decision about whether to buy another lens for my camera and, if so, which one. I am justifying the expense of such a purchase based on not making a trip from NC to Idaho, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc. to view this eclipse.

Edit: BTW, I just voted for "I hope to see Bailey's Beads." On my wall, I have a framed print of a photograph I took in Atlanta 5/30/84 of an annular eclipse (which the local media always reported as a "total" eclipse.) That photo shows a nice string of Bailey's Beads.

Edit again: Yes, I thought I had shared that photo before on this forum. I posted it here a little over five years ago -- small image in the post with a link to a larger image. Hope to get a better shot this time around.
Last edited by: Doc on Jun 14, 2017
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
June 15th, 2017 at 1:44:41 PM permalink
I really don't want to drive the 80 miles to my alma mater in Columbia, MO too dang early. Bleh. My gf is already hating that I want to do this.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Thanked by
Face
June 15th, 2017 at 2:12:02 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

... I have to make a final decision about whether to buy another lens for my camera and, if so, which one...

I don't think you need a new lens Doc. I think you need an appropriate filter for a lens you already have. You can buy sheets of the solar filter material that is in the "sunglasses", and make the filter by cutting a circle out of a piece of cardboard and attaching the material over the hole. Affix this to the end of your lens and, voila! A "Good Enough" fix Face might be proud of.

IMPORTANT: The filter needs to be over the first part of the lens where the light enters the camera, not the eyepiece. If unfiltered sunlight is allowed in the lens, it will probably ruin your camera (and maybe the lens). Even with the filter in place, the lens should not be pointed at the full disc of the sun continuously for long periods.

Doc
Doc
June 15th, 2017 at 3:35:47 PM permalink
I'm less concerned about filters than focal lengths.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
June 15th, 2017 at 6:13:46 PM permalink

I'm less concerned about filters than focal lengths.

I just reread the 2012 eclipse thread where you included the photo you took of the annular eclipse in 1984. That one looked fine. Is that lens not available / incompatible with your current rig?

Here's a good one:

Nikon 200-500mm ~$1,400

You could also consider a camera mount on a telescope. You could get vastly superior focal length for alot less dough.
Doc
Doc
June 15th, 2017 at 10:31:09 PM permalink
Back when I took that eclipse photo in 1984, I was using a 35mm Konica film-based camera that I gave up on some years later. I used several lower-end digital cameras starting in the 1990’s. As my wife and I set sail on a cruise in September 2004, I discovered that my camera’s built-in flash was not working. Digital cameras had come a long way since I bought that one, with quality going up and prices dropping dramatically. I decided that it was not worth paying to have the flash repaired.

When we got home from that cruise, I purchased a Nikon D70 digital SLR. It was/is a pretty nice camera. It came with an AF-S 18-70mm zoom lens, and shortly thereafter I purchased an AF 70-300mm zoom lens. Nice setup.

A couple of weeks before we set sail on another cruise in October 2012, I discovered that the auto-focus was not working properly on the D70. I didn’t think I had time to get it repaired, so I purchased a Nikon D3200 digital SLR (body only) to use with my existing lenses.

That camera has several advantages over the D70, including 4x higher resolution, along with some reduced capabilities that make the camera lighter. One shortcoming is that the D3200 does not have an AF motor in the body, and that while the AF-S lenses (like my 18-70mm) should work fine, the plain AF lenses (like my 70-300mm lens) will not auto-focus. I don’t use that lens very often, so I have put up with having to focus manually.

When I got to the first port on that 2012 cruise, I discovered that the 18-70mm lens did NOT auto-focus properly on the D3200. Turns out that the focus problem I had observed was not a failure in the D70 body but a failure in the 18-70mm lens. I spent that cruise manually focusing, and when I got home, I had that lens repaired by Nikon, and I have basically used the D3200 all of the time since.

Now when shooting a solar eclipse, focusing a lens should not be an area of concern, but I might use the eclipse as an excuse to get me a long lens that works perfectly/completely with my newer camera body. I am currently thinking about an AF-S 55-300mm lens that is available for a reasonable (?) price. I am definitely too cheap to buy that Nikon 200-500mm lens that you showed.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
June 15th, 2017 at 11:05:58 PM permalink
No problem Doc. The only disadvantage to the 55-300 is the inconvenient size and weight when you don't need the big zoom. As you know from your prior 300mm lens, it really needs bright outdoor lighting to function well. However, when you are in a situation where you are taking both near and far shots, it is convenient to have it all in one.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
Thanked by
RogerKintbeachbumbabs
June 16th, 2017 at 1:16:28 AM permalink
My wife is a crazy picture person and I just don't get it. She has a 2 tb hard drive almost full. I so much prefer to take everything in without an interuption of a camera. We have been to vegas together 7 times and every time she has taken pictures of all the hotels. If I want a picture I will just go find it online.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 16th, 2017 at 1:50:27 AM permalink
Last night the moon looked like a lemon, or so I imagined with the shape and yellowish color.
I am a robot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 21st, 2017 at 6:26:36 PM permalink
There was a segment on the CBS Evening News on the eclipse and how it will bring a lot of business to a small town in Illinois. I liked it for two reasons -- the eclipse and the woman riding a unicycle.

An interesting thing about that town is it is in the center of the X of the two total eclipse paths in 2017 and 2024.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
June 29th, 2017 at 7:08:34 PM permalink
In preparation for the eclipse, I purchased a telescopic lens from Amazon. Pretty cheap one as I don't think I'll use it much after this. My first eclipse I pretty much just took it in but this time I want to come away with some decent pictures. I know this has been touched on already by Doc but I need to think seriously about the settings.

To start, I took these pictures of the moon. This first one I believe was on automatic. The second was at a shutter speed of 100. Clearly that one came out better. It also taught me to get one of those shutters at the end of a cord. Just the pressure of pressing the shutter on the camera is enough to make a picture at 100 ISO blurry (because the shutter is open longer). Plus, I have rather shaky hands. Click on either picture for a larger version. These pictures were not cropped, by the way, and are the size you can expect from me on the big day.

I welcome all suggestions.

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
June 30th, 2017 at 12:23:29 PM permalink
What type of camera are you using Wizard? A Digital SLR? Here are some tips from an article in Popular Photography

Quote: How To: Photograph the Moon

...I generally shoot around the 1/125 second mark. As for aperture, we are trying to get the detail on the moon as sharp as possible, so I very rarely shoot wide open and tend to settle on an aperture around f/9.0 As far as ISO is concerned, with the settings I’ve just mentioned, I go with a value around 400, but I’ve also pushed it to 800 so I could use a faster shutter speed....

Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 30th, 2017 at 12:28:27 PM permalink

What type of camera are you using Wizard? A Digital SLR? Here are some tips from an article in Popular Photography

Quote: How To: Photograph the Moon

...I generally shoot around the 1/125 second mark. As for aperture, we are trying to get the detail on the moon as sharp as possible, so I very rarely shoot wide open and tend to settle on an aperture around f/9.0 As far as ISO is concerned, with the settings I’ve just mentioned, I go with a value around 400, but I’ve also pushed it to 800 so I could use a faster shutter speed....

Next project, catch this object flying in front of the moon.

ISS
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 30th, 2017 at 12:52:50 PM permalink

What type of camera are you using Wizard? A Digital SLR?

It's a Canon Rebel T3i. I think it is an SLR as I look through a viewfinder, not a digital display.
Doc
Doc
June 30th, 2017 at 1:00:02 PM permalink
The "digital" part of a digital SLR means that the image is captured with a sensor and electronic storage device (like a compact flash card or SD card) instead of on photographic film. Most (but not all) of them use optical viewfinders.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 30th, 2017 at 1:54:55 PM permalink

The "digital" part of a digital SLR means that the image is captured with a sensor and electronic storage device...

That part I could figure out.
Doc
Doc
June 30th, 2017 at 2:24:09 PM permalink
Sorry. Seems I misread your earlier post and/or misunderstood whether there was uncertainty as to your camera being an SLR or being digital. I have had a couple of TLR cameras with which I looked through a viewfinder, while my current SLRs have digital displays but not for viewing the scene you want to capture. Now I'm not sure whether the topic is confusing or (more likely) I'm just having a confused afternoon.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
July 4th, 2017 at 6:31:28 AM permalink
So we had planned on making a day trip to Kentucky for the eclipse. We didn't really make plans and weren't going to to stay anywhere, just a day trip. About a month ago I booked a 3 day trip to vegas. Yesterday on the way home out of nowhere I yelled oh f. Randomly it hut me that we booked the trip the same weekend as the eclipse. So now I will be in Vegas instead of seeing the eclipse. Oh well the next one is in 2024 and goes through cleveland which is a short drive away.

I was looking at the map of viewing and have a question. If you are outside that strip but close will you see the sun as normal or is it still blocked a little? What about vegas, are you far enough away that it will be business as usual?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
July 4th, 2017 at 10:03:45 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

So we had planned on making a day trip to Kentucky for the eclipse. We didn't really make plans and weren't going to to stay anywhere, just a day trip. About a month ago I booked a 3 day trip to vegas. Yesterday on the way home out of nowhere I yelled oh f. Randomly it hut me that we booked the trip the same weekend as the eclipse. So now I will be in Vegas instead of seeing the eclipse. Oh well the next one is in 2024 and goes through cleveland which is a short drive away.

I was looking at the map of viewing and have a question. If you are outside that strip but close will you see the sun as normal or is it still blocked a little? What about vegas, are you far enough away that it will be business as usual?

Outside of the path on the map, including in Las Vegas, you will see a partial eclipse. At maximum coverage, the disc of the Sun will only be partially covered, sort of like a crescent moon shape.

Do not look directly at the partially covered Sun without proper eye protection.

The closer you are to the path on the map,the more the disc of the Sun will appear to be covered by the Moon.

Edit: According to this map from NASA, Las Vegas will experience about 72 percent coverage at maximum.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 4th, 2017 at 10:25:34 AM permalink
For those poor souls who will be "eclipse-less:"

I assume that at least one cable channel will be broadcasting continuing coverage of the eclipse in its entirety, in high def no less.

Viewing a well-filmed eclipse in a dark room on a large, hi def TV screen should give the viewer a "better view" of the real event than that observed with the naked eye at a spot in the path of total eclipse.

In other words, it's like viewing an NFL game: don't worry if you can't watch it in the dome, just turn on your TV: you'll see more.
"What, me worry?"
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
July 4th, 2017 at 10:32:40 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

For those poor souls who will be "eclipse-less:"...

I don't give a rat's a$$ about it.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 4th, 2017 at 10:52:20 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I don't give a rat's a$$ about it.

I do not understand the intrigue at all.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
July 4th, 2017 at 3:55:43 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I do not understand the intrigue at all.

I think it's a cult thing. Watch out for mass suicides that day.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
July 18th, 2017 at 3:31:26 AM permalink
this is an interesting article about an eclipse chaser's excitement about the upcoming eclipse. according to the article this is the first eclipse in a century to cross the entire continental u.s. the coming eclipse is a solar eclipse which is more dramatic than a lunar eclipse. according to the article for those in the shadow of the eclipse will have the sun completely blocked out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/a-lifelong-eclipse-chasers-promise-to-america-you-will-never-be-the-same/2017/07/17/65c29212-68af-11e7-8eb5-cbccc2e7bfbf_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_eclipsechaser-8pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.d7d38a680807
Please don't feed the trolls
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 18th, 2017 at 5:05:30 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Is it just Doc and Mrs Doc, Odious and Mrs. Odious, me and my two sons? No other mid easterners interested?

Ok, y'all talked me into it. I need a vacay anyway. I'm staying at a No - tell Motel (small no-frill mom-and-pop) in Maggie Valley, about 12 miles from Cherokee Harrah's. I'll be driving. Will be there Friday the 18th thru Tuesday the 22nd, and join whomever for whatever.

I'm interested in doing several things up there, been before and love the mountains, not afraid to drive them.

My plans:

Playing Harrah's (both places) with the group, maybe other days.

Eclipse viewing w/group.

River float, maybe river raft. Done both in the area, among my favorite things to do. It's a premiere place for it, maybe the best in the US.

Maggie Valley itself has several interesting shops and museums.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge TN are both within about an hour's drive, maybe more; both really interesting (Google them). Def a day trip up there.

Asheville NC is also within reach. Seen it many times (ex is from there) but would join someone for a side trip.

So. I would be willing to share with long term/known members, if someone wants to come but hadn't yet decided, or can't afford it otherwise. Rollabed is extra $20/day at the hotel. I can pick someone up if they're flying (suggest Asheville NC or Knoxville TN for commercial flights): agree to pay my gas and we'll share the car. Or drive yourself.

I've shared with WoVers before, and it's worked out well, so willing to try it again.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
July 18th, 2017 at 5:50:25 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Ok, y'all talked me into it.

Good!

For anyone else who wants to decide late, but worried about hotel availability, I'd bet there's plenty such still in Maggie Valley where I stayed once as well. It apparently was once a tourist hot spot and now has over-capacity, I have to think.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 18th, 2017 at 1:02:56 PM permalink
I live in Knoxville Tennessee, and my house is in the path for 99% totality of eclipse. They have called off school in our county for that day (school starts on about Aug 10 here) so that students and teachers can view the eclipse. In fact, most of East Tennessee is shutting down on that day.

Even so, my wife and I will drive about 30 miles to the south/southwest so that we can be in 100% totality for about two minutes.

I am very much looking forward to it.

BTW, Maggie Valley is about a 2 to 21/2 hour drive from totality
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
July 18th, 2017 at 1:49:04 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I live in Knoxville Tennessee, and my house is in the path for 99% totality of eclipse. They have called off school in our county for that day (school starts on about Aug 10 here) so that students and teachers can view the eclipse. In fact, most of East Tennessee is shutting down on that day.

Even so, my wife and I will drive about 30 miles to the south/southwest so that we can be in 100% totality for about two minutes.

Hoping for clear skies for everyone!
Doc
Doc
July 18th, 2017 at 2:14:54 PM permalink

Although BBB announced that she will be staying at Maggie Valley, the rest of the announced members of our WoV-NC group plan to spend the nights in Cherokee and drive down to Andrews for the eclipse. Under "normal" conditions, GoogleMaps estimates the driving time from Cherokee to Andrews as about 54 minutes. Traffic in that area on 8/21/17 is likely to be anything but normal. I suspect we will decide to start down the road fairly early in the day.

Best info I have come up with is that in Andrews the partial eclipse will begin at 1:05:44PM EDT, with totality beginning at 2:34:24 and lasting 2 minutes 38 seconds.

Today, I attempted (and may have succeeded) in recruiting two more participants for our WoV-NC group.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
July 18th, 2017 at 3:27:00 PM permalink

Although BBB announced that she will be staying at Maggie Valley, the rest of the announced members of our WoV-NC group plan to spend the nights in Cherokee and drive down to Andrews for the eclipse. Under "normal" conditions, GoogleMaps estimates the driving time from Cherokee to Andrews as about 54 minutes. Traffic in that area on 8/21/17 is likely to be anything but normal. I suspect we will decide to start down the road fairly early in the day.

Best info I have come up with is that in Andrews the partial eclipse will begin at 1:05:44PM EDT, with totality beginning at 2:34:24 and lasting 2 minutes 38 seconds.

Today, I attempted (and may have succeeded) in recruiting two more participants for our WoV-NC group.

If they come, and I have a guess as to who they are, I think that makes 10 at least for our neck of the woods.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
July 19th, 2017 at 7:25:30 AM permalink

Edit. Google maps is showing 20 min from MY to Harrah's Cherokee, and an hour to Andrews from there. So not quite as bad, I hope, as you're showing.

Thanks, gordon. I expect to show up to the group in time for breakfast Monday morning (or after having played all night with them..heh heh heh). Then I'll caravan with them to whatever this spot is Doc has picked out.
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Jul 19, 2017
Doc
Doc
July 19th, 2017 at 9:20:59 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

... to whatever this spot is Doc has picked out.

Just to clarify a bit, I don't have an exact spot picked out.

Andrews, NC is a small town that seems to be right on the centerline of the path of eclipse totality. My wife and I spent one night in a dinky hotel there a couple of years ago. If there were not an eclipse passing through town, I think there would be numerous open spaces available for us to gather our group in parking lots for various buildings in town to view whatever might be happening. Given that there will be an eclipse of some interest, it is conceivable that there will be massive crowds in town or that businesses may discourage people they don't view as active customers from just hanging around and watching the sky. I don't really know what to expect, and I haven't planned my/our visit and viewing activities in detail. It might even be pouring down rain at 2-whatever that afternoon.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
July 19th, 2017 at 10:37:01 AM permalink

Just to clarify a bit, I don't have an exact spot picked out.

Andrews, NC is a small town that seems to be right on the centerline of the path of eclipse totality. My wife and I spent one night in a dinky hotel there a couple of years ago. If there were not an eclipse passing through town, I think there would be numerous open spaces available for us to gather our group in parking lots for various buildings in town to view whatever might be happening. Given that there will be an eclipse of some interest, it is conceivable that there will be massive crowds in town or that businesses may discourage people they don't view as active customers from just hanging around and watching the sky. I don't really know what to expect, and I haven't planned my/our visit and viewing activities in detail. It might even be pouring down rain at 2-whatever that afternoon.

Oh. Gee. Whatever shall we do then? "New shooter..."
Doc
Doc
July 19th, 2017 at 12:18:46 PM permalink
Yes, it's always nice to have a convenient backup plan, even if it doesn't involve a once-in-a-lifetime event.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
July 20th, 2017 at 7:31:26 AM permalink
For the Joeman's, the eclipse viewing has become an "extended family" trip. And, since school starts on 8/14 here, we will be heading back on Monday evening or early Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to join the WoV party.

We're planning on viewing the eclipse near Highlands, NC. I'm hoping to sneak in a side trip to Harrah's Cherokee on Saturday or Sunday, but I think odds are against that happening. I have a feeling its going to be mobbed, anyway.

BTW, my eclipse map says that Cherokee (according to Google Maps, less than a 1/2 hr drive from Maggie Valley, Babs!) will get about a minute of totality. So, there's really no reason for anyone to ever leave the casino! ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 20th, 2017 at 10:22:53 AM permalink
Super that BBB is now on board. Me and my sons are up for pretty much anything on the Sunday; we can leave Atlanta anytime early in the morning to meet up. My older son is a trivia expert now; he hosts events at a bar and competes in national events of some sort. I will have him prepare some sort of contests for those interested.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 20th, 2017 at 4:07:04 PM permalink
My confusion over drive time from Maggie Valley is because I was assuming Eastern Tennessee locations, I see now that Andrews NC is one of the prime sites for the eclipse. I also see that my own house does get totality for 1:25.

In my area, farms are offering the use of their land as a site to watch the eclipse for $2 -$2.50 per person. Eclipse glasses are selling for about $2.50. You need to bring your own lawn chairs.

Could someone PM me the info on the Cherokee meet? (or post the info or whatever?) If I can sync up, I might want to join the group for some part of the time.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 20th, 2017 at 4:45:56 PM permalink
How do I find out how high the sun will be relative to the horizon when the eclipse starts?

I planned on viewing it on the Oregon coast, but there are mountains to the east that could obstruct the view of the sun if it is low.
"What, me worry?"
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
Doc
July 20th, 2017 at 5:43:00 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

How do I find out how high the sun will be relative to the horizon when the eclipse starts?

NOAA has a solar position calculator. Enter your city or lat/lon and the date & time and there you go!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Doc
Doc
July 20th, 2017 at 8:11:34 PM permalink
Thanks for that link, Joeman. From that site, I have learned that in Andrews, NC, at the time of the beginning of totality for the eclipse, the sun will be 63.42 degrees above the horizon (that's theoretical horizon, ignoring the mountains) and at a direction of 211.99 degrees clockwise from north. Now we know in what direction to look, as if we couldn't figure that out on the spot.

;-)
  • Jump to: