2 votes (6.45%)
10 votes (32.25%)

31 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
March 25th, 2014 at 8:43:03 PM permalink
In the interests of Vegas pop culture, I direct your attention to this article: Tiger That Attacked 'Siegfried and Roy' Star Dies.

The question for the forum is what are your thoughts about it? This time, you're allowed to vote for multiple options.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
March 25th, 2014 at 9:01:36 PM permalink
In my opinion Roy got what he deserved. If you play with fire you are bound to get burned and Tigers are pretty large "flames".

RIP big cat. Hope you find a nice tiger mate in tiger heaven!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 25th, 2014 at 9:03:17 PM permalink
I was living in Vegas at the time of the incident. When Roy recovered, he told everyone he was having a stroke and, rather than attacking him, the tiger actually carried him to get help. I tend to believe him: if a 600 pound tiger had intended to tear out his throat, it would have been gone.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 25th, 2014 at 11:47:12 PM permalink
You screw with cats of any size and crap happens.
I have lots of cats, I know. I have fresh scratches
always. You never know what a cat is thinking
or how it will react.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 26th, 2014 at 4:13:22 AM permalink
I never pictured you having lots of cats, Bob!

There are reasons why we don't own tigers and wolves. We domesticated these animals into companion cats and dogs via selective breeding. When you decide to take a wild animal into custody, there is always a probability that they will exhibit wild behavior that unfortunately can ruin a life.

While Roy's incident was tragic, zoo and circus accidents happen all of the time.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
March 26th, 2014 at 4:52:16 AM permalink
You know what they say, once you've seen one white tiger, you've seen them maul!
socks
socks
  • Threads: 15
March 26th, 2014 at 5:51:59 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

I was living in Vegas at the time of the incident. When Roy recovered, he told everyone he was having a stroke and, rather than attacking him, the tiger actually carried him to get help. I tend to believe him: if a 600 pound tiger had intended to tear out his throat, it would have been gone.

At the time I was roommates with a magician who worked a small show on/just off the strip. Through that community, he had access to unreleased video which he said made it look like the tiger was trying to protect Roy.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 26th, 2014 at 6:47:47 AM permalink
That incident gave Danny Gans the opportunity he deserved and I think many people have already forgotten about him and the great person and performer he was. RIP Danny and Mantecore
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 26th, 2014 at 7:23:12 AM permalink
RIP

My mom wanted to go to a Cirque du Soleil show instead when my parents took me to Vegas in 2001. Fortunately the show she wanted was sold out and we went to Sigfried and Roy instead. It was a great show.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 26th, 2014 at 7:33:28 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

There are reasons why we don't own tigers and wolves. We domesticated these animals into companion cats and dogs via selective breeding.

Dogs are related to wolves. In fact I think they can still interbreed.

But the domestic cat is not related either to the tiger or other big cats, like the lion, cheetah, puma, etc. It descends from small predator cats which, very likely, found abundant prey in human stores of grain. the progression goes like this: grain is stored, it attracts mice, the mice attract cats. Next people notice the cats don't eat the grain, but help keep the mice in check. So you begin to look out for them.

Domestic cats are what I like to call social but not gregarious. That is, they have the means for getting along, but they don't like to get together. They don't need company. Dogs, like people, are social and gregarious, we like to have company.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
March 26th, 2014 at 7:49:50 AM permalink
Dogs have masters, cats have "staff" ;-)
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 26th, 2014 at 8:11:43 AM permalink
Robert De Niro told Ben Stiller in Meet the Parents…..dogs are big suck-ups…..not cats
Each day is better than the next
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
April 16th, 2014 at 9:35:19 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

sheer rationalization.

he was under the impression that the tiger "loved" him. You knom the tiger that was in a cage during periods of the day, and then at other times was in a larger cage.
We give human emotions to animals. dogs "love" us...because they are "kissing" us when they lick our face. yeah right

whether its pit bulls, tigers, elephants, monkeys......we know from experience what these animals are capable of doing....and then they kill someone or rip their face off.....we say "thats the first time that ever happened".....

Just admit it and be honest.....I own an animal that is capable and whose species has shown in the past to be capable of killing other human beings and animals,,,But I am willing to take that chance with my life and the lives of others that come in contact with me. Its all about me me me and what makes ME happy.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
April 16th, 2014 at 11:36:45 AM permalink
"What do tigers dream of...when they take a little tiger snooze...."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
April 16th, 2014 at 11:49:37 AM permalink
Quote: LarryS

sheer rationalization.

he was under the impression that the tiger "loved" him. You knom the tiger that was in a cage during periods of the day, and then at other times was in a larger cage.
We give human emotions to animals. dogs "love" us...because they are "kissing" us when they lick our face. yeah right

Cats are freaky anyway. Anyone who has had a few cats knows they are unpredictable at times.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
April 16th, 2014 at 12:37:59 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Cats are freaky anyway. Anyone who has had a few cats knows they are unpredictable at times.

Very true. If a house cat had the strength to kill a human half the cat owners in the world would be dead.
  • Jump to: