onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 22nd, 2013 at 3:20:10 AM permalink
It used to be common knowledge a person cannot beat a random picker at this game and now wonder if it is really true. If you picked a non-random pattern against an independent random pattern, would they still even out? By independent random pattern, I mean one which doesn't care what his opponent has picked to make his random pattern. Would the non-random pattern matter such as always R,P, or S, RRP?
I have seen the other threads about this game, but didn't exactly see the answer.
I am a robot.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 22nd, 2013 at 4:58:30 AM permalink
If one side is random then it's all random. Even if the non random side just picked rock every time.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
March 22nd, 2013 at 6:17:19 AM permalink
I agree, there would be no way to get an advantage on a random picker. Same reason as you can't beat a fair game of roulette.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
March 22nd, 2013 at 1:49:39 PM permalink
Yeah, random cannot be beat.

That said, humans are not random at all. I am a HUGE rock-paper-scissors AP. I just can't get people to play it for stakes making it worth my time.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 22nd, 2013 at 1:54:16 PM permalink
Quote: bbvk05

That said, humans are not random at all. I am a HUGE rock-paper-scissors AP. I just can't get people to play it for stakes making it worth my time.

I know an AP who will play it up to $100 a bet. He might go higher, but $100 is the most I've seen. He won't reveal his strategy, but I fear to play him because I worry there are tells in the game, or he just gets in my head.
bbvk05
bbvk05
March 22nd, 2013 at 1:59:39 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I know an AP who will play it up to $100 a bet. He might go higher, but $100 is the most I've seen. He won't reveal his strategy, but I fear to play him because I worry there are tells in the game, or he just gets in my head.

Yeah, that's the old don't take a bet someone wants bad scenario. I am pretty confident in my skills (I have a bona fide method), but there is a good chance I am not as good as that guy. The optimal method is not that hard to figure out.

The most I've played is $10 a throw against an experienced poker player. He gave up after being down $260 in 150 throws.
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:00:24 PM permalink

Wonder how a rock-scissors-paper AP would do against this.
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:01:26 PM permalink

That said, humans are not random at all.

I heard there are some tournaments for rock-paper-scissors. The professional players for preparation create random lists for each game they have to play, and "simply" memorize it. Unless you have tells this yields the desired random strategy.

Is it worth it as an AP activity ? Would depend on the tournament structure (although I could not think of any favourable structure for a random player).
bbvk05
bbvk05
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:03:18 PM permalink
Quote: MangoJ

I heard there are some tournaments for rock-paper-scissors. The professional players for preparation create random lists for each game they have to play, and "simply" memorize it. Unless you have tells this yields the desired random strategy.

Is it worth it as an AP activity ? Would depend on the tournament structure (although I could not think of any favourable structure for a random player).

That's just it. A player can ALWAYS make it at worst a random game with these lists. It really throws a wrench in the gears.
bbvk05
bbvk05
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:04:17 PM permalink
Quote: tupp

Wonder how a rock-scissors-paper AP would do against this.

Ha. That robot is the God of rock-paper-scissors APdom. Just to be clear, I am a RPS AP because I have a method that works against humans who are making decisions on the spot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:07:30 PM permalink
There is a single-elimination tournament for Roshambo that draws people in the low hundreds. People wear outfits and come up with silly names. Sort of like in the WWF. I think they usually meet in Toronto, but I'm not sure.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:24:04 PM permalink

There is a single-elimination tournament for Roshambo that draws people in the low hundreds. People wear outfits and come up with silly names. Sort of like in the WWF. I think they usually meet in Toronto, but I'm not sure.

Editorial Correction : World Wrestling Federation, the name used from 1979 to 2002 by the professional wrestling company now known as WWE.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:34:13 PM permalink

A player can ALWAYS make it at worst a random game with these lists.

Sure, but you can't make it better either with these lists. So your progress in the tournament is purely random, and the chance winning it is 1 over the number of players. I doubt the prize pool will cover your buyin (if it were, the host would not having tournaments for a long time).

Maybe you can use the lists to study your opponent, and if you got a read on him try it. But then you win by the read, not by your random play.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 22nd, 2013 at 2:41:36 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Editorial Correction : World Wrestling Federation, the name used from 1979 to 2002 by the professional wrestling company now known as WWE.

You're right. In case anybody cares, the E stands for, appropriately, for entertainment.

About RPS, even with a randomized list, good players can read the delivery for what the player will throw. For example, a rotation of the hand might indicate paper.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
March 22nd, 2013 at 6:51:07 PM permalink

People wear outfits and come up with silly names. Sort of like in the WWF. I think they usually meet in Toronto, but I'm not sure.

I thought the World Wildlife Federation was a more
serious minded organization than that, but who am
I to judge ?
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Buzzard
Buzzard
March 22nd, 2013 at 9:21:23 PM permalink
" You're right. In case anybody cares, the E stands for, appropriately, for entertainment. "

Shufflemaster is now SHFL ENTERTAINMENT. And Pacman almost always has a raised fist in SHFL ENTERTAINMENT group
photos. Co-incidence ? I think not !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shufflemaster/8068474716/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shufflemaster/7585809014/
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
March 22nd, 2013 at 9:30:11 PM permalink
i always preferred "odds and evens" over "rock paper scissors". less arguments over someone throwing too early or late and cant give off tells.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 23rd, 2013 at 7:05:21 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Buzzard
Buzzard
March 23rd, 2013 at 8:02:05 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Its World Wildlife "Fund"

They sued the World Wrestling Federation , who is now WWE World Wrestling Entertainment.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 23rd, 2013 at 8:09:40 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Buzzard
Buzzard
March 24th, 2013 at 4:35:19 PM permalink
Close enough to hear the refs telling the wrestling when to break, throw a leg on rope, etc ? The refs run most shows. LOL
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 24th, 2013 at 6:09:57 PM permalink

Close enough to hear the refs telling the wrestling when to break, throw a leg on rope, etc ? The refs run most shows. LOL

You're actually at a wrestling match? Did you eat paint chips as a kid? I went once when I was 11 and it being so obviously fake in person, it is hard for me to ever get into it watching on TV.
I am a robot.
Buzzard
Buzzard
March 24th, 2013 at 6:29:49 PM permalink
Hey, the show is in the seats. They not only attend but they believe it's REAL. LOL

Trivia : Name the first Green Bay player cut by Vince Lombardi. HINT : He played on several college teams, but was not a student

Dick the Bruiser Afflis. Who nicknamed Bobby Heenan, The Weasel .
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 24th, 2013 at 7:04:53 PM permalink

Hey, the show is in the seats. They not only attend but they believe it's REAL. LOL

Trivia : Name the first Green Bay player cut by Vince Lombardi. HINT : He played on several college teams, but was not a student

Dick the Bruiser Afflis. Who nicknamed Bobby Heenan, The Weasel .

I can buy it then for the people watching. I would have had no way to guess your trivia quiz.
I am a robot.
Buzzard
Buzzard
March 24th, 2013 at 7:24:21 PM permalink
1963, Hiding out in USAF from the feds, I saw Dick the Bruiser on San Antonio TV.

Busted Butch Reed's good sportsmanship trophy over Butch's head. Then turned to camera and said, " I want all you n*****s and
s***s to save your nickle and dimes, cause I don't wrestle cheap "..

Needless to say the place was sold out the following week.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
March 24th, 2013 at 8:06:30 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Its World Wildlife "Fund"

Yep, I stand corrected !
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 25th, 2013 at 6:09:10 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

You're actually at a wrestling match? Did you eat paint chips as a kid? I went once when I was 11 and it being so obviously fake in person, it is hard for me to ever get into it watching on TV.

What they're doing isn't easy, brother, and I sucked at it, so imagine how tough it is for the guys who are actually any good!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 9th, 2013 at 12:57:56 AM permalink

That would be the World Rock Paper Scissors Society sponsored World Championships. They were indeed held in Toronto. I think the last one was in 2009? I can't find any information on a more recent one. It may have been a fad that died out.

The World RPS Society website is pretty barren these days. I got moderately in to RPS back in my college days - it was a fun oddball pursuit that fit my personality. I had stickers, a hoodie, I even bought a lifetime membership in the World RPS Society - my title is "Zone Stewart Engineering Task Force." It was hilarious because you could make up your own title from a series of drop-downs when you signed up. I have a little laminated card and everything.

I think the World RPS Society may have been an elaborate joke put on by someone who then got bored of it. The site talks about the Chairman of the Steering Committee passing away, and hence there are no new championship events planned.

Sadly I lost the hoodie and most of the stickers went out when my college laptop died. I still prefer the "bureaucrat" gambit - paper, paper, paper.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
  • Jump to: