Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
March 10th, 2010 at 7:36:46 AM permalink
Currently airing on GSN is the game show Catch 21. They have a bonus round that plays like some casual Flash games I have seen, as well as bar-top amusement machines.

A freshly shuffled deck of 52 cards is used. The player is given 3 hands of blackjack, starting with one card dealt to each. No splits or double downs, no dealer to play against. The object is to score a 21 on all three hands, or as many as possible without busting any hand.

Get 21 on one hand: $1,000
Get 21 on two hands: $5,000
Get 21 on all three: $25,000
Bust on any hand: Lose everything
(*note: Player automatically wins an additional, separate $1,000 for making it to the bonus round, which they never lose)

Players are presented with one card from the top of the deck, which they may play on any of the three hands. If they wish to pass on the card, they may use one of their "Power Chips". Players are given 2 to 4 Power Chips, depending on how many rounds they won during the game (most likely they will have 3 or 4 chips).

Players may stop and take what they've won after placing a card in any hand, if they fear they will bust. If a player uses a Power Chip to pass on a card, they cannot stop playing; They must either use the next up-card, or use another Power Chip as necessary.

Once a hand hits 21, even if it is soft, you may not play cards to it.

Obviously, luck has a great deal to do with how much money you win. However, are there any strategies or rules you would follow to ensure the best outcome? I don't know how feasible it would be to do a full analysis of this, with so many factors to consider.
-Dween!
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
March 10th, 2010 at 9:59:41 AM permalink
I'm a game show fan in general and I can't stand that show :) Alfonso Ribiero..really? :)
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
March 10th, 2010 at 11:22:39 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

Alfonso Ribiero..really? :)

Go figure, but he's doing alright for them, apparently. He's gotten better over the seasons, but still has a hokey/quirkiness that's a little tough to swallow.

Surprisingly (or not, maybe), Catch 21 is one of the highest rated shows on GSN right now.
-Dween!
wildqat
wildqat
  • Threads: 4
March 10th, 2010 at 11:49:10 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

Alfonso Ribiero..really? :)

Hey, it's better than moving furniture.
  • Jump to: