Thread Rating:

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 15th, 2018 at 5:07:16 AM permalink
Quote: sammydv

Recent searches of their site comes up blank. I didn't try the 'wayback machine' though.

I just checked it out, she is back.
Her profile then was probably just set to be private.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 15th, 2018 at 5:33:03 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I got a big kick out of it when that "cheater's" dating site Ashley Madison got hacked and a bunch of names were revealed. Turns out that the ratio of men to women is like 10 to 1 or even worse.

If you figured out how many were "Hey Jude" types then it might go to 100 to 1 ?

I'm suspicious that's the way match.com is right now. Out of 64 messages I sent out, 39 have yet to even be read. Women keep using the same exact descriptions, two of the popular ones:

"People say I'm quiet-natured, but I'm actually just a really good listener. I don't talk as much, because I like to process and think before I offer my opinion."

"I consider myself pretty dependable. I place a huge importance on keeping my word and honoring my commitments." 

There are a few others which circulate. The women will either just have those as a description or have a little added to it. I'm still trying to get to the source, big surprise, the women I've messaged about this that I'm investigating, have not replied. My response rate on replied messages is pretty low, 2/25, which includes communications a reply wouldn't be thought necessary, such as a comment on a photo.
I am a robot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
Thanked by
petroglyph
June 15th, 2018 at 6:10:10 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

"People say I'm quiet-natured, but I'm actually just a really good listener. I don't talk as much, because I like to process and think before I offer my opinion."

"I consider myself pretty dependable. I place a huge importance on keeping my word and honoring my commitments."

How could women where these statements are true still be single?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 15th, 2018 at 6:29:31 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

How could women where these statements are true still be single?

I'll tell you a sincere thing that is repeated, women nearing 40 saying they want to be with their best friend. I doubt what they say they want is really what they want, at least not wanting it outright as a top priority.

I really do like dependable women though, the thing about them listening, not that important, because I know they're lying. I guess a woman being dependable depends on what they think about you and how much they respect you. If they lose interest or respect for you, they'll stop being dependable, probably have switched their interest to another man.
I am a robot.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 15th, 2018 at 7:19:34 AM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

Maybe you're in luck after all. She's actually a 58-year-old transgender software engineer from Gary, Indiana. She is 6 foot 2 and her right leg is shorter than her left. The photo doesn't show it, but she currently wears a beard with a stylish goatee. Her scary.com profile says that she is looking for someone who "likes violent women" and that her favorite activity is "going out into the woods with a gun and killing stuff." Her favorite color is blood red.

Don't look now, but that's not her "right leg."
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 26th, 2018 at 8:44:35 PM permalink
Those descriptions were prefilled for them. It probably took asking 15 women until one would even answer where they came from.
I am a robot.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 27th, 2018 at 1:39:22 AM permalink
I'm not even sure what this old thread is about anymore.

Ashley Madison was a site that had zillions of males but most female posters were hookers who had purchased the response stream for a certain geographical area.. The other female profiles were largely padding to make it appear that those profiles represented real people.

I don't know why this thread appears to have been resurrected some time ago, its all nonsense to assume there is some sort of kernel of truth out there in the internet dating world or even out there in any internet world.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
June 27th, 2018 at 3:46:23 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

its all nonsense to assume there is some sort of kernel of truth out there in the internet dating world or even out there in any internet world.

I met my wife online. It was through yahoo personals, which eventually got bought out by Match. Now, this was 13 years ago, so perhaps things have things, but there were plenty of real women I went on dates with.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 27th, 2018 at 4:12:26 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I'm not even sure what this old thread is about anymore.

Ashley Madison was a site that had zillions of males but most female posters were hookers who had purchased the response stream for a certain geographical area.. The other female profiles were largely padding to make it appear that those profiles represented real people.

I don't know why this thread appears to have been resurrected some time ago, its all nonsense to assume there is some sort of kernel of truth out there in the internet dating world or even out there in any internet world.

Actually, the people who met their spouse/SO via the Internet is reportedly somewhere between 5% and 1/3, depending on your source. It skews young (see charts and factoids here for a general idea (IMO Pew research does some decent polling on topics)).

Many more have tried at least some in-person dating from the internet, and apparently 1/3 more than that put up a profile but never met someone in person.

I have good friends and a married brother who met via a dating site. It used to be people didn't admit to it, but it's become much more mainstream.

Pew did note that the most popular way to meet a spouse is still through friends. I would have guessed it would be through work or church, but friends make sense.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ECoaster
ECoaster
  • Threads: 5
June 27th, 2018 at 4:53:52 AM permalink
Sites like Match are mostly yesterday's news.

People are still meeting online, particularly in the large urban areas- but they're mostly using phone apps which are free.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 27th, 2018 at 7:42:59 AM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

I met my wife online.

I trust you were using a dating site rather than a "hook up" site such as Ashley Madison. I recall, prior to the internet boom, college mixers in Boston which were used as a sort of singles bar with high grade ore, but graduate mixers in which the girls often just came right out and said to a guy "we each have invested a great deal of time and effort into getting in to a graduate school, there is too much reading to do to have a decent social life so why don't we just have an agreement to take care of each other's basic biological needs without any time-wasting preliminaries?" Some of those one night stands evolved into marriages.

The best internet dating profile I ever heard of was the one where the man posted about his dedication to participation in the annual Canadian seal pub hunting. It was so contrary to his actual values that a woman laughed and phoned him but a few hours after his posting it.

Trends change and often people's attitudes change about "meeting at the Opera" versus "meeting online".
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 27th, 2018 at 7:48:40 AM permalink
Back in the seventies I was perusing the classified section of a Philadelpia alternative paper, "The Drummer," and came upon an ad by a lady looking to meet a fellow: nothing weird about her ad.

Rather than write a detailed response I photocopied a cartoon pic from an old psyche text book, depicting a cop propping up a skinny man while saying "I found him starving in the streets, your honor" and mailed it to her (no e-mail back in The Day).

She called me after getting my response, saying mine was the only ad she responded to.
"What, me worry?"
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
Thanked by
petroglyphJohnnyQ
June 27th, 2018 at 10:28:00 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Back in the seventies I was perusing the classified section of a Philadelpia alternative paper, "The Drummer," and came upon an ad by a lady looking to meet a fellow: nothing weird about her ad.

Rather than write a detailed response I photocopied a cartoon pic from an old psyche text book, depicting a cop propping up a skinny man while saying "I found him starving in the streets, your honor" and mailed it to her (no e-mail back in The Day).

She called me after getting my response, saying mine was the only ad she responded to.

So did you take your covered wagon over there and hit that, or what?
100% risk of ruin
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
June 27th, 2018 at 1:53:14 PM permalink
Online dating is/was the only way I could ever meet women. I could almost never pick them up in real life. Way too stressful; you have to be on all the time and quick and witty.... online you have time to think about what you're going to say. Takes all of the edge off, so when you finally meet them in person for the first time it's a bit more relaxed.

I had a friend who did online dating back in the 90's when it was still considered super-creepy, and we always teased him about it. But he did hook up with a lot of women, and of course now everyone is online dating, so I guess he got the last laugh.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
June 27th, 2018 at 2:27:08 PM permalink
Friend has a friend..... I've seen pictures..... Way below average looking 45 year old guy.... Makes maybe 40k a year...... posted on 'goldiggers.com' or something like that.... perhaps added a zero to his earnings on his profile..... My friend says he for a while was 'dating' a hot 25 year old..... How long do you think you can fool a girl who is looking for $$$?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
Thanked by
VCUSkyhawkJohnnyQAxelWolf
June 27th, 2018 at 2:39:20 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

How long do you think you can fool a girl who is looking for $$$?

If you can fool her for at least one night you've already won...!
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
RogerKintbeachbumbabs
June 27th, 2018 at 6:15:06 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

So did you take your covered wagon over there and hit that, or what?

Are you kidding?

They hadn't been invented yet.

I took my car.

"What, me worry?"
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
June 27th, 2018 at 6:22:02 PM permalink
Sad to say, I vaguely remember watching this once upon a time. Yabba dabba doo !
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 27th, 2018 at 6:39:40 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Sad to say, I vaguely remember watching this once upon a time. Yabba dabba doo !

I asked the name of the Flinstone's cat, seen in the opening and closing credits, in the last WoV trivia challenge.

Nobody got it.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
June 27th, 2018 at 6:41:20 PM permalink

I asked the name of the Flinstone's cat, seen in the opening and closing credits, in the last WoV trivia challenge.

Nobody got it.

Dating sites are for the birds...
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
June 27th, 2018 at 6:52:46 PM permalink
We have two cats. ROXIE and FRANKLIN. You have my permission to include that in your next trivia challenge.

Bonus: What pop culture reference did FRANKLIN come from ?

Arrested Development
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 27th, 2018 at 7:27:18 PM permalink

We have two cats. ROXIE and FRANKLIN. You have my permission to include that in your next trivia challenge.

Arrested Development

In your generation, maybe. In mine, FRANKLIN as a bare question like that is the black kid among Charlie Brown's crowd. Ben Franklin next, Franklin Roosevelt a poor 3rd.

But maybe Roxie is after Roxie Hart, of the musical Chicago? If so, total redemption.
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
RogerKint
June 27th, 2018 at 7:32:57 PM permalink
In my generation, Franklin was the guy down the road who liked to fly kites on stormy nights.
"What, me worry?"
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 27th, 2018 at 8:58:40 PM permalink
Franklin is the guy obsessed with a slot machine in a twilight zone episode, the slot keeps calling his name until he jumps out of the window.
I am a robot.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
June 28th, 2018 at 8:01:05 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

In your generation, maybe. In mine, FRANKLIN as a bare question like that is the black kid among Charlie Brown's crowd. Ben Franklin next, Franklin Roosevelt a poor 3rd.

The Peanuts character was the first FRANKLIN that came to my mind as well, Babs. Although (without any direct knowledge), I always assumed I was closer to JohnnyQ's generation than yours.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 28th, 2018 at 9:37:31 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

The Peanuts character was the first FRANKLIN that came to my mind as well, Babs. Although (without any direct knowledge), I always assumed I was closer to JohnnyQ's generation than yours.

Ya know, if the cooperation game isn't entertaining enough, we could kinda do a Match Game knockoff thread. Generational or something.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
July 14th, 2018 at 4:19:26 PM permalink
Right now Frankelton the CAT is sleeping on the Ottoman in the Living Room.

I am watching an Air Fryer Informercial and WoV for Entertainment.

About a wash.

We have a small Air Fryer

No Offense intended.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
July 14th, 2018 at 4:29:21 PM permalink
ps:

I do not know why Jude12345678 is still single.

There is a wealthy gentleman in my department at work who is still single.

Who cares ?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
July 14th, 2018 at 4:44:52 PM permalink

I can think of two possibilities for Roxie:

#1 - she has a twin brother named Chip
You probably know their grandfathers better - Fred Flintstone & Barney Rubble

#2 - you might expect to see her in Summerlin
Red Rock Roxie, the "mascot" of the Total Rewards Vegas game on Facebook
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
July 16th, 2018 at 7:35:18 PM permalink
I spent on match regretfully, $68.97 for 3 months, $29.97 to have non-members be able to read and reply to messages from me for those 3 months, $24.90 for a boost 10 pack. The boost gets your profile at the top of results for 1 hour. I didn't really know it was for 1 hour, or I wouldn't have went for it, thought it was for 1 day, didn't really know. Each boost showed maybe 15 views and many of them were from women 50 plus, hundreds of miles away. It was so depressing. I had 53% of messages never even read, and only had replies for 5% of messages, a number kind of inflated, because it counts multiple replies from the same people I kind of wasn't interested in. I would not recommend the site, there is something wrong with those women, most likely they have too many men to choose from and are looking for Mr. Perfect.
I am a robot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 16th, 2018 at 7:24:12 AM permalink
There are a bunch of new pictures of HeyJude on her Match profile.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
November 16th, 2018 at 7:54:35 AM permalink
Damn she wants someone that is toned and makes 6 figures.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 16th, 2018 at 9:30:14 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I can think of two possibilities for Roxie:

I get a complete and utter glaring at for not knowing the obvious one, given there's a different source for Franklin:

Roxie Roker and Franklin Cover played the parents of Lionel Jefferson's girlfriend (later wife, still later ex-wife) Jenny on The Jeffersons.

RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
November 16th, 2018 at 8:35:45 PM permalink

Arrested Development

Franklin is Gob's puppet, right?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 18th, 2022 at 4:29:25 PM permalink
We haven't checked in on HeyJude for a while. According to her Facebook page, she is still traveling the globe looking for love. However, she hasn't updated it since 2014. I wonder what became of her since then.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 18th, 2022 at 4:35:31 PM permalink

We haven't checked in on HeyJude for a while. According to her Facebook page, she is still traveling the globe looking for love. However, she hasn't updated it since 2014. I wonder what became of her since then.
link to original post

I think a road trip/search party is in order.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MrV
MrV
April 18th, 2022 at 5:27:34 PM permalink

Maybe she's been finding a whole lotta love in all the wrong places.
"What, me worry?"
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
April 18th, 2022 at 5:51:34 PM permalink
You'll feel really old when all the internet porn stars of 15-20 years ago haven't uploaded new material in 15-20 years.
  • Jump to: