onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 100
October 7th, 2016 at 6:57:35 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

A better question would he should be have to vote absentee or should he be allowed to register and vote in Florida?
As he spends more time there, why shouldn't be vote there?
I attended a school in a small town in upstate NY. Even the students who lived off campus were denied the right to register and vote locally.

Literally home is where the heart is. All our representatives and senators couldn't be reelected otherwise usually being in D.C.
Let joy reign supreme and unconfined.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
November 7th, 2016 at 5:27:25 AM permalink
1/2 of Florida voters voted early :-)
We may be evolving to a practice of fewer and fewer voting on election day
We may get to the point that in early voting states, those that wait till election day to vote are the same people doing their taxes on April 15 :-)
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 6
November 7th, 2016 at 5:43:22 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

those that wait till election day to vote are the same people doing their taxes on April 15 :-)

Good one. Any others:

Waiting until it's legalized to get high.

Waiting until your wedding day to get laid.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 10
November 7th, 2016 at 7:20:22 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

1/2 of Florida voters voted early :-)
We may be evolving to a practice of fewer and fewer voting on election day
We may get to the point that in early voting states, those that wait till election day to vote are the same people doing their taxes on April 15 :-)

I said this in the 2016 Election thread and I'll say it again here:

In the next four years, Republicans will launch an all out assault on early voting.

Democrats do better when more people vote. Republicans know this, and will try to do anything to stop it.

And of course, they will use nonexistent "voter fraud" as their excuse for eliminating early voting. They're a one trick pony.
"Trumped up trickle down" has an entire new meaning now, thanks to those Russian prostitutes...
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 17
November 7th, 2016 at 8:43:57 AM permalink
I don't like that they release information on who has voted early. In Nevada, all we hear is how Democrats and Hispanics have turned out in record numbers.
I don't think any information should be allowed until the polls close.
John Rolston has done a series of articles about how based on early voting, Trump can't win Nevada and without it he can't win the Presidency. Articles like this can make people feel there vote isn't needed.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 49
November 8th, 2016 at 7:11:20 AM permalink

I don't like that they release information on who has voted early. In Nevada, all we hear is how Democrats and Hispanics have turned out in record numbers.
I don't think any information should be allowed until the polls close.
John Rolston has done a series of articles about how based on early voting, Trump can't win Nevada and without it he can't win the Presidency. Articles like this can make people feel there vote isn't needed.

This.
"What would Brian Boitano do?"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
November 8th, 2016 at 7:37:15 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

I said this in the 2016 Election thread and I'll say it again here:

In the next four years, Republicans will launch an all out assault on early voting.

Democrats do better when more people vote. Republicans know this, and will try to do anything to stop it.

And of course, they will use nonexistent "voter fraud" as their excuse for eliminating early voting. They're a one trick pony.

Oregon has been 100% vote by mail for almost 20 years, and partially for almost 30. You're automatically registered at the DMV when you get your drivers' license. And since 2000, with over 20M ballots cast, there have been roughly 13 cases of "voter fraud." Most of those were honest mistakes like signing your spouse's ballot envelope rather than actual malicious fraud. Because yes, they check signatures. One critical benefit of vote-by-mail is the ability for election officials to catch signature mismatches prior to election day -- this happened to a friend last week. She got called into the county office to re-verify that the signature on her ballot was actually hers.

Don't let innumerate conspiracy theorists dictate policy. Voter fraud is not a statistically-significant problem and, without double-checking, I believe has never come close to swinging an election in the US. A three-week voting window with mail-in or drop-off ballots works *better* than a single day standing in line.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/central-oregon/despite-easy-voter-access-voter-fraud-deemed-rare-in-oregon/69175638
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 6
November 8th, 2016 at 8:08:58 AM permalink

I don't think any information should be allowed until the polls close

How do you suggest we stop it from happening?

Articles like this can make people feel there vote isn't needed.

The mathematics of dividing 1 by 100 million is what makes me feel like my vote isn't needed.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 17
November 8th, 2016 at 8:59:41 AM permalink
By not releasing any information until the polls close. It really is that simple.

• Jump to: