billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 17
October 6th, 2016 at 8:03:44 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Another great reason to have early voting
Hurricane Mathew
Can you imagine something like this hitting Florida on election day

That just happened in Colombia. They were having perhaps the most important vote in their countries history last week. The ruling party, whose supporters are mainly on the eastern coast , proposed a peace agreement with rebels who have been fighting for twenty plus years. The day of the election, a hurricane hit the coast and voting in some regions was a third of what was expected . Voting went as expected in the Western provinces and the measure was defeated by the slimmest of margins.
I'm not sure why they didn't postpone the election.
Brewfangrb
Brewfangrb
  • Threads: 0
October 7th, 2016 at 12:40:39 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Then just get more polling places and machines. AZ has had lots of growth so it will need to do this, and there will be growing pains.

It had NOTHING to do with growth. The local officials purposely reduced the number of polling locations.

For someone complaining people should have to take a citizenship test to vote, you're alarmingly uninformed.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 79
October 7th, 2016 at 5:03:27 AM permalink
Quote: Brewfangrb

It had NOTHING to do with growth. The local officials purposely reduced the number of polling locations.

For someone complaining people should have to take a citizenship test to vote, you're alarmingly uninformed.

Yeah, the number of polling places in Maricopa county was REDUCED from a little over 200 to less than 70. Because the administrators (who happened to be Republicans) wanted to "save costs". AND the population is increasing. AND, now they'll waste way more taxpayer money defending the lawsuits than they would have spent just maintaining the previous number of polling places (which already had an average wait time of more than 90 minutes in the 2012 election).
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 88
October 7th, 2016 at 5:30:19 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

But you should never be allowed to vote absentee the first time you vote, and never more than three years in a row,

So my son who is a legal NY state resident but is in school in Florida when he turns 18 should not be allowed to vote absentee in his first election? And if he is away for 4 consecutive years (that's how long college is) he shouldn't be allowed to vote in the 4th election year? I don't think you gave this one much thought.....
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 79
October 7th, 2016 at 5:34:17 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

So my son who is a legal NY state resident but is in school in Florida when he turns 18 should not be allowed to vote absentee in his first election? And if he is away for 4 consecutive years (that's how long college is) he shouldn't be allowed to vote in the 4th election year? I don't think you gave this one much thought.....

Nope. No thought at all. As if most 18 year olds weren't absent from their primary residences in November. Fails for college students, fails for the military...
Last edited by: rdw4potus on Oct 7, 2016
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 17
October 7th, 2016 at 10:14:54 AM permalink
A better question would he should be have to vote absentee or should he be allowed to register and vote in Florida?
As he spends more time there, why shouldn't be vote there?
I attended a school in a small town in upstate NY. Even the students who lived off campus were denied the right to register and vote locally.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
October 7th, 2016 at 10:37:28 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Nope. No thought at all. As if most 18 year olds weren't absent from their primary residences in November. Fails for college students, fails for the military...

Fails for an entire company of employees
I arrange business travel for a large company composed of engineers and executives
Just about every employee cannot predict if they will be home election day
They are all road warriors.
Tons of jobs in the USA are dependent on their international business trips to see customers and suppliers
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 15
October 7th, 2016 at 3:16:29 PM permalink
I love the argument that mail-in balloting and early voting increases fraud, as if thousands have been charged or convicting of throwing an election.

31 in a billion.

I guess we just need to change the rules for that bowl of Skittles.

I know, if a bunch of poor black or Hispanic people show up at the polls, they must be cheating. That's the only way the Dems could have won Pennsylvania or Ohio.

I get a little tired when Republican governors attempt to curb ways to vote by enacting unconstitutional voter-registration laws, shorten up advance-polling and close voting sites in left-leaning districts.

Yes, poor people and people of color disproportionally vote Democrat. Now why is that? When you stand in line for hours trying to cast a vote while your friends in the burbs can get in and out in under an hour, you start to wonder if the system is working against you. They're not voting three times - they have a hard enough time trying to vote once.

I really don't understand how a nation as advanced as the USA can't get it right.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
DTRobers
DTRobers
October 7th, 2016 at 6:21:17 PM permalink
I guess that I must change my mind about the question of early voting.

We should give Donald Trump (and the party that made the catastrophic mistake of allowing him to be nominated) every second of extra time to destroy their own campaigns.

If the GOP fails to toss Trump from the sleigh this weekend I predict a Democratic White House, Senate and House come January; a liberal Supreme Court soon thereafter.
DTRobers
DTRobers
October 7th, 2016 at 6:37:12 PM permalink
Geez, that did not take long! Trump has just been disinvited to a campaign appearance in WI with Speaker Ryan and Gov. Walker.

• Jump to: