AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
September 14th, 2016 at 6:40:30 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

The State shut down 75% of the polling places in and around Phoenix. There were four times as many spots in sparsely populated Pima County than in the most populous county in the state. One County is majority Republican, the other has most of the statewide Democrats living within it, but I'm sure that was a big coincidence.

How many polling places vs how many machines? In Phoenix you do not have to travel as far as in Pima county. Rural areas might have more places but fewer machines. Even so I doubt politics played into it. Probably more of a cost and security issue.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 38
September 14th, 2016 at 8:00:55 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Should be Election DAY. Not week or month. Absentee ballot but every 4 year you gotta show up to vote.

No same-day registration, either. 30 days out and that is the cutoff. Miss it? Too bad.

Voting is not supposed to be like ordering a pizza.

We are a republic, not a democracy. We were never supposed to be a democracy. By nature democracies are transitionary, they cannot be stable. A sure way to destroy our republic, and our freedom, is to turn our country into a democracy and make it easy for more and more people to vote. Either by way of anarchy, or directly, a democracy will end in oligarchy. That's why I mentioned here before, voters used to have to be qualified. Voting is not a God-given right. I hope I will not live to see the day, but I suspect many posters here are young enough that they will see the end of America as we know it. And they won't know what to do with themselves. Hopefully for them it will be gentle, and not require massive liquidation of population reduced to manageable proportions as under Mao or Stalin.
Don't believe anything until it is officially denied.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 14th, 2016 at 8:01:56 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Nobody's saying 2 + 2 = FISH. If you're hearing 2 + 2 = FISH when other people talk, it's because you don't comprehend what's actually being said. That's on you, not the people who are speaking about things you don't understand.

You say 2 + 2 = FISH all the time.

Exactly.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 38
September 14th, 2016 at 8:08:10 PM permalink

How many polling places vs how many machines? In Phoenix you do not have to travel as far as in Pima county. Rural areas might have more places but fewer machines. Even so I doubt politics played into it. Probably more of a cost and security issue.

Have read of recent talk of bringing the election process under control of Homeland Security? Look it up.

Look up rigged machines in Venezuela and Brazil.
Don't believe anything until it is officially denied.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 14th, 2016 at 8:22:07 PM permalink

Because you have to stop it sometime, otherwise we'd have 365 days of voting. In Arizona this spring, thousands of early voters selected Marco Rubio in the Presidential Primary. By election day, he'd dropped out. I'm pretty sure those people would change their vote if they could. Suppose you vote on October 1st and by November 1st, we are at war. You might want to change. I just moved from a state without early voting to one with three weeks of it. I think the correct amount is somewhere in between.

Well, obviously it would stop sometime--on Election Day. And though the average American voter has the intellect of a tub of cottage cheese, I think that most people do understand that one of the consequences of casting an early vote is that you can't change your mind between then and the actual Election Day. If people think they might want to change who they plan to vote for, then they can stay home until the actual polling day rather than voting early. What's the problem?
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
September 14th, 2016 at 8:32:33 PM permalink

The State shut down 75% of the polling places in and around Phoenix. There were four times as many spots in sparsely populated Pima County than in the most populous county in the state. One County is majority Republican, the other has most of the statewide Democrats living within it, but I'm sure that was a big coincidence.

"Sparely populated" Pima County includes Tucson and its suburbs, with well over half a million people in the metro area. And as it's still only about 1/5 the population of Maricopa County (Phoenix area), I doubt that it's where "most of the statewide Democrats" live. In fact, it would be very reasonable to expect that most of the state's Democrats live in the Phoenix metro area, since most of the state's people do.

And the number of spots isn't relevant; it's the number of polling machines available. Pima County has a lot of isolated little towns, each of which would need one small polling place. Maricopa County is heavily urbanized, so a lesser number of much larger polling places might be more appropriate.

I think it's very amusing of you to imply that Arizona would be a place where there is a voting availability conspiracy that favors DEMOCRATS. LOL, as they say on the internet.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
September 14th, 2016 at 8:36:49 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Here in Florida, unless you early vote, waits are from 2 to 6 hours from mid day on. Speaking for Central Florida, where I vote,.and South Florida, where it always makes the news. Only in presidentials, though.

Republicans, in the last few election cycles, have taken to mailing out absentee ballot request forms, so they get their votes cast more easily than waiting in those lines. And yes, they have shown a correlation over several cycles, of wait times significantly higher in minority heavy districts. It's up to each county clerk how many machines and poll workers to place in each precinct.

But...but...but...if we put more polling machines in minority-heavy districts, then the inferior races will be able to vote! Where are your Republican sensibilities????

I wonder if this had anything to do with the narrow Dubya win in 2000.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to call you a Republican. That would be just about the nastiest thing I could say.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 22
September 14th, 2016 at 8:43:31 PM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

"Sparely populated" Pima County includes Tucson and its suburbs, with well over half a million people in the metro area. And as it's still only about 1/5 the population of Maricopa County (Phoenix area), I doubt that it's where "most of the statewide Democrats" live. In fact, it would be very reasonable to expect that most of the state's Democrats live in the Phoenix metro area, since most of the state's people do.

And the number of spots isn't relevant; it's the number of polling machines available. Pima County has a lot of isolated little towns, each of which would need one small polling place. Maricopa County is heavily urbanized, so a lesser number of much larger polling places might be more appropriate.

I think it's very amusing of you to imply that Arizona would be a place where there is a voting availability conspiracy that favors DEMOCRATS. LOL, as they say on the internet.

Reading is Fundamental. You might try it some time. If you bothered reading the post , you might see I was complaining about the lack of polling places in and around Phoenix, where much of the states Democrats live. But you think anyone that doesn't support six month voting periods must be a Republican out to suppress the vote.
What a maroon. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
September 14th, 2016 at 8:56:04 PM permalink

Reading is Fundamental. You might try it some time. If you bothered reading the post , you might see I was complaining about the lack of polling places in and around Phoenix, where much of the states Democrats live. But you think anyone that doesn't support six month voting periods must be a Republican out to suppress the vote.
What a maroon. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

Sorry, it was hard to believe that you (based on your previous posts) were taking up the banner of all those poor, disenfranchised Democrats.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 22
September 14th, 2016 at 10:11:40 PM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

Sorry, it was hard to believe that you (based on your previous posts) were taking up the banner of all those poor, disenfranchised Democrats.

You truly are a maroon. Please quote any post I've ever made here that gave the impression I favor the right? Just one.
But it's cool. There's a place in the world for the angry young man.

• Jump to: