Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 13th, 2016 at 7:16:47 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm in favor of letting people vote over an extended period, but thirty or more days of voting is a bit ridiculous.
If you can't vote over a couple day period, just ask for an absentee ballot.

First of all, why the fork not. If people are eligible to vote, make it as easy as possible for them to do so.

This is, however, a politicized issue, as Republicans generally try to keep people from voting, as the more unworthy scum who vote, the worse they generally do. However, in this election, that may be turned on its head, as the repubs may believe that high voter turnout will actually help them. If that's the case, then they will advocate for letting your cat vote for you.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 22
September 13th, 2016 at 8:22:49 PM permalink
I simply don't think we need more than a month. Allowing people to vote before the debates occur is silly.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 6
September 13th, 2016 at 9:31:24 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Should be Election DAY. Not week or month.

Wait in line two hours or be able to go when there is no line at all? If we force everyone to all go at the same time it would be too much of a burden on those of us still in the workforce and it would be the jobless welfare queens who decide who wins.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 14th, 2016 at 12:55:47 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I simply don't think we need more than a month. Allowing people to vote before the debates occur is silly.

And how do you or anyone else determine how much time we "need"? The easier it is to vote, the more voters will participate in the process, which I thought was the whole idea, unless you're a Republican, of course.

Why on earth should debate-viewing be a prerequisite for voting? The debates convey very little information about the fitness of the two candidates. They are media shows wherein each seeks to create the best superficial impression for the benefit of undecided voters. In fact, it could be argued that those who DON'T watch the debates are better equipped to make an informed decision, as they won't be swayed by some unimportant remark or retort that will get blown far out of proportion by the media.

As far as the actual electoral process goes, early voters are almost by definition not in the "undecided" category, so it doesn't matter much whether they vote early or on Election Day. Those Republicans who would vote for a jar of warm spit if it were the Republican candidate will vote the same way regardless, as will those Democrats who would vote for Marge Simpson if she were the Democratic candidate. (And yes, each of those choices would be better than the actual respective candidates.)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
September 14th, 2016 at 2:17:42 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Wait in line two hours or be able to go when there is no line at all? If we force everyone to all go at the same time it would be too much of a burden on those of us still in the workforce and it would be the jobless welfare queens who decide who wins.

Who on earth waits in line that long? I have never had to wait more than 20 minutes or so.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
September 14th, 2016 at 2:25:51 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

And there you go again with your common sense. If holding polls open longer creates fraud, let's have voting open for just 12 minutes on voting day, between 10:37am and 10:49am. Just common sense, right? Screw the working people who can't get time off, only the retired and self-made (or self-employed) can vote.

Because common sense also says you need to have balance. One work day is pretty much the same as the others, so stretching it so people can go before or after work balances the need for security and convenience. Leaving all those machines unattended overnight is the big security risk. Based on your position on Hillary's emails I get that you either do not understand or care about basic security measures, but even a basic understanding shows that to be a huge risk.

Quote:

When will you learn that "simple common sense" is just simply nonsense? If good sense really were simple and common, we wouldn't be having so many national arguments, would we? No, the reason we have so many policy disagreements is that some people prefer to make well-considered choices based on thorough analysis and critical evaluation, while others are satisfied with making uninformed snap judgments based on simple common sense. It's the Gambler's Fallacy writ large. It's simple common sense that black would be due after a long streak of red. And it's simply wrong.

Because it is not nonsense. We have so many arguments because you think that just because an "educated" person says something then everyone else should shut up and not dare question them. It is the emperor's new clothes. All those over-educated people try to say 2 + 2 = FISH and others say they must be right when it is clearly not so.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 270
September 14th, 2016 at 4:09:09 AM permalink
When you google "community organizer" you get:

"com·mu·ni·ty or·gan·iz·er
nounNorth American

a person whose job is to coordinate cooperative efforts and campaigning carried out by local residents to promote the interests of their community."

that says what most of us suspected, that nobody really knows what a community organizer is/does.

When I heard that for example 70% of Af/Am voters in NC use early voting, I felt I now knew what a community organizer does.

I'm just throwing this out there.
Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed. ~Mark Twain
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
September 14th, 2016 at 4:31:12 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

When you google "community organizer" you get:

"com·mu·ni·ty or·gan·iz·er
nounNorth American

a person whose job is to coordinate cooperative efforts and campaigning carried out by local residents to promote the interests of their community."

that says what most of us suspected, that nobody really knows what a community organizer is/does.

When I heard that for example 70% of Af/Am voters in NC use early voting, I felt I now knew what a community organizer does.

I'm just throwing this out there.

We have them here in Florida
The program is "Souls to the polls"
Organize a bus to go to the church pick up the souls and take them all to the polls :-)
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 6
September 14th, 2016 at 4:33:52 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Who on earth waits in line that long? I have never had to wait more than 20 minutes or so.

Because there's early voting
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 62
September 14th, 2016 at 7:38:16 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Do we have a right to pizza? Even if we don't, I would like voting as easy as ordering a pizza. Online voting is so possible and inevitable.

The only problem I have with online voting is, I don't trust "digital signatures," and feel that there is no way to guarantee that a ballot is being cast by the person in question.

Besides - does everybody have online access? If there is a correlation between how wealthy you are and how likely you are to be able to vote online from your home, then the "disenfranchising poor people" problem resurfaces.

On the other hand, who really notices the signatures - and, except for local elections, is anybody really going to compare every ballot's signature against the one on the registration? Imagine if this had to be done in Florida in 2000 - "well, the loops in the Ls look different" "maybe the person had a finger injury that day"

• Jump to: