billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 38
September 13th, 2016 at 5:16:35 PM permalink
I'm in favor of letting people vote over an extended period, but thirty or more days of voting is a bit ridiculous.
If you can't vote over a couple day period, just ask for an absentee ballot.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
September 13th, 2016 at 5:22:46 PM permalink
Should be Election DAY. Not week or month. Absentee ballot but every 4 year you gotta show up to vote.

No same-day registration, either. 30 days out and that is the cutoff. Miss it? Too bad.

Voting is not supposed to be like ordering a pizza.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 10
September 13th, 2016 at 5:35:44 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Should be Election DAY. Not week or month. Absentee ballot but every 4 year you gotta show up to vote.

No same-day registration, either. 30 days out and that is the cutoff. Miss it? Too bad.

Of course you have this view.

If Republicans did better when more people voted, you'd obviously feel differently....
"Trumped up trickle down" has an entire new meaning now, thanks to those Russian prostitutes...
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
September 13th, 2016 at 5:59:32 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm in favor of letting people vote over an extended period, but thirty or more days of voting is a bit ridiculous.
If you can't vote over a couple day period, just ask for an absentee ballot.

Voting should be very easy and held over a 2 week period
Everybody qualifies to vote by mail if they so choose
Elections are important
I love voting by mail
I work in business travel, many of my clients are in another country election day
These American Citizens should have the right to vote
Live in battleground FL so I definitely want to vote
Just because I may want to vacation in Vegas on election should not prevent from participating in an election
I watched Karl Rove have his famous meltdown in my Vegas hotel room :-) I voted by mail that cycle.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
billryan
billryan
September 13th, 2016 at 6:00:37 PM permalink

Why? Why put obstacles in peoples way? My Aunt has been homebound for years. Why deny her her right to vote?
I'm in favor of making it easier than ordering a pizza, but I think having voting for a month is too much.
Why do you think voting shouldn't be as easy as ordering a pizza?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 13th, 2016 at 6:02:12 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Of course you have this view.

If Republicans did better when more people voted, you'd obviously feel differently....

If people want to vote they can make an effort to do so. I want there to be the least chance of fraud as possible. The longer polls are open the more chance for fraud. That is simple common sense.

I would actually prefer you have to pass a US Citizenship test to vote, too bad that is impossible.
billryan
billryan
September 13th, 2016 at 6:05:27 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Voting should be very easy and held over a 2 week period
Everybody qualifies to vote by mail if they so choose
Elections are important
I love voting by mail
I work in business travel, many of my clients are in another country election day
These American Citizens should have the right to vote
Live in battleground FL so I definitely want to vote
Just because I may want to vacation in Vegas on election should not prevent from participating in an election
I watched Karl Rove have his famous meltdown in my Vegas hotel room :-) I voted by mail that cycle.

Sounds about right. For many years, I attended two trade shows a year. One in AC and the other in Vegas. They were always the last week in October, first in November. Started doing absentee ballots in 1998 and its great. I was on the 14th floor of the Taj election night 2000 and it was amazing as the results were coming in. Republicans drifted into one suite, Democrats into the other , and the dont give a shit crowd into another. Good times.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 13th, 2016 at 6:14:11 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Why? Why put obstacles in peoples way? My Aunt has been homebound for years. Why deny her her right to vote?

The are not obstacles, they are requirements to insure a sound and clean election. I find it hard to believe even a homebound person cannot make it out one day a year. If they are that homebound a provision could be enacted where they get their ballot notarized or something, at their expense of course.

Quote:

Why do you think voting shouldn't be as easy as ordering a pizza?

See above about sound and clean elections. I realize 47% of Americans are getting to be lazy lumps who think everything should be as easy as possible and handed to them. But sometimes you have to put in effort. How hard is it to spent 10-30 minutes before or after work and stop to vote? Answer is it is not hard at all.

But same-day registration invites fraud and ballot-stuffing. A child can understand that. Advance registration ensures you are a resident and not a transient. And yes, my answer to "that means some people will not get to vote" is "too bad, next time follow the rules and plan ahead."

And oh yes, since all responsible adults have of can get photo ID that is the most commonsense requirement of all.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 13th, 2016 at 6:24:41 PM permalink

If people want to vote they can make an effort to do so. I want there to be the least chance of fraud as possible. The longer polls are open the more chance for fraud. That is simple common sense.

And there you go again with your common sense. If holding polls open longer creates fraud, let's have voting open for just 12 minutes on voting day, between 10:37am and 10:49am. Just common sense, right? Screw the working people who can't get time off, only the retired and self-made (or self-employed) can vote.

When will you learn that "simple common sense" is just simply nonsense? If good sense really were simple and common, we wouldn't be having so many national arguments, would we? No, the reason we have so many policy disagreements is that some people prefer to make well-considered choices based on thorough analysis and critical evaluation, while others are satisfied with making uninformed snap judgments based on simple common sense. It's the Gambler's Fallacy writ large. It's simple common sense that black would be due after a long streak of red. And it's simply wrong.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 115
September 13th, 2016 at 6:51:05 PM permalink
Do we have a right to pizza? Even if we don't, I would like voting as easy as ordering a pizza. Online voting is so possible and inevitable.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!

• Jump to: