4 votes (3.38%)
3 votes (2.54%)

118 members have voted

RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 10th, 2017 at 12:45:38 PM permalink
Quote: 777

Want to see some to see some thing really horrific?

Naw, I'm good, keep doing your thing. I think it's healthy for you and quite entertaining for us ;)
"Let it happen" - Tame Impala
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 10
January 10th, 2017 at 1:05:51 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

They will join the 24 million whom Affordable Care left uncovered.

This post implies that the ACA is a failure in part because it left 24 million uncovered.

So hopefully SanchoPanza will hold the GOP's "replacement" to the same rigorous standard: if it leaves 24 million (or more) without high quality health care, it will be a failure.
"Trumped up trickle down" has an entire new meaning now, thanks to those Russian prostitutes...
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 10th, 2017 at 1:08:52 PM permalink
Nareed on that other board has posted a few times this observation: "Where you stand depends on where you sit". Meaning, of course, how you view an act is dependent on who's done it, and how you're aligned with that person. Rather fascinating watching it in action, both in our members and within myself.

Sort of on topic, I remember hearing an interview with Ivana where she recanted her claims of rape. It was a few months back and I was only half listening, so feel free to double check. But what she had said was that Trump took her in a way that lacked intimacy, that she didn't recognize the man who he was. I don't recall her mentioning violence or anything violent, but the term "rape" was used to describe her feelings emotionally, and she expressly DENIED that he had actually raped her, ie took her by force against her will.

Just thought I'd put it out there to encourage some ME level of discussion. His rap is on par with SOOPOO stating in real terms the effects of the ACA. Opinionated and biased, but real talk. Wild allegations and tired talking points strike me as the flip side to the "He's a Kenyan!" hogwash I had to endure the last 8 years. So to ME, I give thanks for your effort.

Also to ME, I'm of age now. If you need a running mate, I bet we could pull off a decent lefty/righty combo and nail that middle majority. I sure could use some of that lifetime healthcare ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 73
January 10th, 2017 at 1:10:57 PM permalink
Face,

Lol. Well said.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
January 10th, 2017 at 1:12:40 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

This post implies that the ACA is a failure in part because it left 24 million uncovered.

So hopefully SanchoPanza will hold the GOP's "replacement" to the same rigorous standard: if it leaves 24 million (or more) without high quality health care, it will be a failure.

6 years with no alternative plan developed, and now they want to whip one up in 2 weeks.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 10th, 2017 at 1:43:26 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Just thought I'd put it out there to encourage some ME level of discussion. His rap is on par with SOOPOO stating in real terms the effects of the ACA. Opinionated and biased, but real talk. Wild allegations and tired talking points strike me as the flip side to the "He's a Kenyan!" hogwash I had to endure the last 8 years. So to ME, I give thanks for your effort.

Also to ME, I'm of age now. If you need a running mate, I bet we could pull off a decent lefty/righty combo and nail that middle majority. I sure could use some of that lifetime healthcare ;)

I appreciate it. Dogma isn't talking points anyway; if someone wants to propose that "tax cuts for the rich are good for the working class" because someone mentioned "trickle-down" economics once, and won't look at the failures of 1980s fiscal policy as disproof of that proposition, then there's no point in trying to persuade them otherwise. Just like if someone wants to propose that Donald Trump is a perfect gentleman, and won't look at his taped recordings with Howard Stern or Billy Bush as disproof of that proposition, then there's no point in trying to persuade them otherwise.

I'm less of a lefty than you might think. I'm just not mean-spirited, and I think the prevailing conservative social policy is mean-spirited, not "compassionate conservatism" as Bush once coined. I think it's a pathetic failure of execution, in a country as wealthy as we are, that anyone has to go without food or water or shelter or clothing or basic health coverage. A woman died last week in Portland of hypothermia after she was evicted from low-income housing and couldn't take care of herself.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/01/after_refusing_help_and_evicti.html#incart_river_home_pop
I perceive the conservative movement as one that implies people who are failing deserve to fail, and people who are succeeding deserve to succeed. But that philosophy implies that Trump and I are deservedly successful, and millions of struggling working-class Americans are deservedly failures. I think that's an invalid conclusion and therefore the premise is flawed. I think that the rights granted to us under the Constitution come with a cost, and we should be more willing than we are to pay the price for them. Nobody living in the United States got to where they are solely by themselves. Nobody. To quote the loser of this year's election, "it takes a village."
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 10th, 2017 at 1:47:09 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

6 years with no alternative plan developed, and now they want to whip one up in 2 weeks.

To be fair, they didn't think they'd win until about October. And ironically, Obama and Trump now agree with regard to the ACA: if the GOP has a better plan, they're all for it, but don't just blow it up without a replacement.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 10
January 10th, 2017 at 2:30:41 PM permalink
Ruh roh:

Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him

Quote:

The two-page synopsis also included allegations that there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government, according to two national security officials.

"Trumped up trickle down" has an entire new meaning now, thanks to those Russian prostitutes...
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 73
January 10th, 2017 at 2:33:35 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Ruh roh:

Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him

Well, we know of at least one, when the son in law went to Paris the first week of October and negotiated with Russia on Trump's behalf about US policy.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
January 10th, 2017 at 3:22:36 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

I'm less of a lefty than you might think.

FWIW, when I think "numerate leftist", none other holds that slot than MichaelBluejay. My classification of you comes below...

Quote: ME

I'm just not mean-spirited, and I think the prevailing conservative social policy is mean-spirited, not "compassionate conservatism" as Bush once coined. I think it's a pathetic failure of execution, in a country as wealthy as we are, that anyone has to go without food or water or shelter or clothing or basic health coverage. A woman died last week in Portland of hypothermia after she was evicted from low-income housing and couldn't take care of herself.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/01/after_refusing_help_and_evicti.html#incart_river_home_pop
I perceive the conservative movement as one that implies people who are failing deserve to fail, and people who are succeeding deserve to succeed. But that philosophy implies that Trump and I are deservedly successful, and millions of struggling working-class Americans are deservedly failures. I think that's an invalid conclusion and therefore the premise is flawed. I think that the rights granted to us under the Constitution come with a cost, and we should be more willing than we are to pay the price for them. Nobody living in the United States got to where they are solely by themselves. Nobody. To quote the loser of this year's election, "it takes a village."

What I see when viewing these threads is folks spewing what is a simplistic view of an already simplified stance, which has become so due to the medium we are engaging in. It's much like my earlier post where I tried to explain my anti-PC stance. In reality, a very complicated stance. But in type... it's hard to do much more than "PC is killin' ma' country!" without engaging in a several paragraph, hour long post.

I am exactly one of those "Let 'em suffer" fellas. I feel that simply by living in USA#1, any failure to succeed is nothing short of a failure of self, and as such, that responsibility should lie at that selfs' feet. It what I believe; further, it's what I live. There's not few here who know of my trials and tribulations, and there's a couple few that will attest to my refusal of charity, my "shunning of handouts". It's not a lack of compassion, as I believe I have, if anything, too much of that. But it's something, surely...

And I think what it is is nothing more than good, ol fashioned cynicism. I just haven't seen it, what the Left is trying to accomplish. Perhaps that's the fault of sensationalized media, maybe it's my fault for not being attuned to the positivity that surrounds me, but nothing pops into my mind when hearing "charity" or "welfare" other than fraud, corruption, and folks doing nothing while affording more and better material goods than the working man. Perhaps it's nothing more than brainwashing, perhaps it's nothing more than a lack of information, but it is nonetheless the only feeling that happens inside me.

But many things you've said have gotten through, and they've done so through no other means than an effort at communication and original ideas. You tell me to help a poor, and I'll tell you I am by not being one. Tell me to "help" by donating a buck, and I ain't got a buck to spare. Give a good and I ain't a good to give. But by mixing the tired standard of "give" with something attuned to "my side", "skill", and suddenly, we're approaching understanding. A left idea and a right concept merging, for no other reason than two folks listened and heard.

Lol, what's embarrassing is I was gonna reference what i think was Bab's post, about something serious going on and we're all bitching about some salacious bit of freaking gossip, and I can't even reference it properly because what was said was "important" and ain't nobody got time fo dat, so I just sort of skimmed it.

It's happening. Can we please dial up the proper discussion before I become just another caricature?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

• Jump to: