8 votes (38.09%)
8 votes (38.09%)

21 members have voted

AceTwo
AceTwo
  • Threads: 5
May 30th, 2014 at 1:44:02 PM permalink
Does -5 exist?
-$5 might exist in your bank a/c and -5 Celcius in the temperature scale. You can see that on your bank statement and the thermpmeter.
But -5 apples or -$5 in a basket does not exist. You cannot see that in a basket.

As other people have said numbers are concepts. Infinity like -5 and like 4 are concepts. They exist as concepts in relation to something.
Like there is an infinite amount of prime numbers.

If you are talking about whether the universe in infinite, as a concept this definitily exists.
Whether this is true, ie the universe is infinite, I do not think that physicists have reached any conclusion yet.
Most say that the existing evidence supports both possibilities (I think) and probably (at least the near future) we will not know.
The only thing that they agree is that the observable universe is finite.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 30th, 2014 at 2:06:15 PM permalink
Quote: AceTwo

Does -5 exist?
-$5 might exist in your bank a/c and -5 Celcius in the temperature scale. You can see that on your bank statement and the thermpmeter.
But -5 apples or -$5 in a basket does not exist. You cannot see that in a basket.

As other people have said numbers are concepts. Infinity like -5 and like 4 are concepts. They exist as concepts in relation to something.
Like there is an infinite amount of prime numbers.

If you are talking about whether the universe in infinite, as a concept this definitily exists.
Whether this is true, ie the universe is infinite, I do not think that physicists have reached any conclusion yet.
Most say that the existing evidence supports both possibilities (I think) and probably (at least the near future) we will not know.
The only thing that they agree is that the observable universe is finite.

True infinity just cannot be observed in the universe due to the fragility of all existence. It's a toss up to me whether the universe is infinite because most believe even the lowest atom will lose all energy. Since time is relative, time itself essentially stops with with essentially the complete loss of energy at molecular levels. I suppose it's still infinite though by definition but if another force overcomes the infinity at some point pulling everything back, no but nobody knows. Infinite in a continuation of the status quo you won't find though.
I am a robot.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
May 30th, 2014 at 2:45:16 PM permalink
There is no universe. This is all a dream that you will wake up from very soon.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 30th, 2014 at 3:12:27 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

There is no universe. This is all a dream that you will wake up from very soon.

I'm not giving up the password. jk but I'm still not giving up the password.
I am a robot.
Boney526
Boney526
  • Threads: 8
May 30th, 2014 at 3:41:55 PM permalink
I'm sure you guys are into some deep conversation that I didn't read, but I think the answer seems simple enough.

Infinity may or may not exist as a physical reality. That's not likely to be proven in our lifetimes, but I'd lean towards it not existing. Either way it exists because we use it as a concept with at least some useful scientific or mathematical purposes. I can't really think of a great analogy, so this is kinda half thought out, but it's kind of like arguing that zero doesn't exist. It's just the opposite end of the spectrum. I mean go ahead, point out zero to me. Like point out absolute nothingness, not something like there is zero grams of water in an empty cup. I'm racking my brain, and can't think of an example, just like one currently can't prove physical infinite-ness.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 30th, 2014 at 6:12:02 PM permalink
Isn't zero a vacuum? Unless space itself disproves zero.

Interesting side note: it seems the yes votes have been coming in lately making it become a close race.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 30th, 2014 at 6:12:03 PM permalink
Duplicate
I am a robot.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
May 30th, 2014 at 9:28:56 PM permalink
Did the big bang contain a finite amount of energy?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
July 4th, 2018 at 12:54:39 PM permalink
I'm debating the idea the universe itself is both finite and infinite, although it may end, each portion in time, may exist forever. Basically as if the universe was an animation, is what I'm thinking. In the same way, there is the smallest possible amount of mass, a pixel, cannot remember the specific term off-hand. I'm sleep deprived now. bear with me.
I am a robot.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
August 5th, 2018 at 8:30:39 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Isn't zero a vacuum? Unless space itself disproves zero.

Interesting side note: it seems the yes votes have been coming in lately making it become a close race.

Vacuum is filled with virtual particles that give it non-zero energy.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 5th, 2018 at 12:34:54 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Vacuum is filled with virtual particles that give it non-zero energy.

I wouldn't be able to tell you that straight out, but I recognize you are correct.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: