Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 19th, 2012 at 3:09:33 PM permalink
I don't remark on every celebrity death, but Ron Palillo warrants an exception. For you youngsters on the forum, Ron Palillo played the role of Arnold Horseshack on the 70s sitcom Welcome Back Kotter. Anyone who knows me fairly well knows that I take my situation comedies of the 70s and 80s very seriously. If you ask me a trivia question about just about any big show from that era you better prepare yourself for two-hour contest of wits to see who knows their 70s and/or 80s television trivia better.

If I were to make a list of my favorite childhood shows, Welcome Back Kotter would be way at the top. The character I most identified with would without question by the nerdy Horseshack. I especially appreciate the way he never blurted out the answer when he knew it but raised his hand high and begged, and we all know how, to be called on.

I don't know much about what happened to Palillo after Kotter, but evidently he had a hard time finding acting work, and ended up teaching acting. Too bad I never had the chance to meet him, as I would have embarrassed with much liked the show and his character in particular.

Image source: timstvshowcase.com

More information: Ron Palillo dead at 63: Actor best known to TV audiences as Horshack on ‘Welcome Back, Kotter'

By the way, for the students of the Spanish language, palillo means a little stick. In particular, palo is the general word for a stick, and the illo suffix means "little." For example, in Spanish a toothpick would be a palillo de dientes (little stick for teeth).

Anyway, goodbye, Ron Palillo. If there is anything after this life, I hope to take a remedial class with you on high school physics, or anything else I didn't do so well at the first time around.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
August 19th, 2012 at 3:14:17 PM permalink
I was also a Kotter fan, but I'm sure you would kill me in a trivia contest.

But, I think I'm nearly unbeatable at Brady Bunch trivia.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 19th, 2012 at 3:14:43 PM permalink
He died of a heart attack at 63. It says his dad died
young, I'll bet heart problems run in the family. So
he was 30 when Kotter went off and he was still
playing a kid in HS. Pretty good work if you can get it.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 19th, 2012 at 3:18:05 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

But, I think I'm nearly unbeatable at Brady Bunch trivia.

Are you throwing down the Brady Bunch trivia gauntlet at my feel?! Nobody messes with me when it comes to the Brady Bunch. I will mop the floor with you, or anyone!

Quote: EvenBob

He died of a heart attack at 63. It says his dad died young, I'll bet heart problems run in the family.

Heart disease is genetic. Those with a history of it can accept their likely fate or try twice as hard as the rest of us would have to beat the odds, as Paul Ryan does.
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
August 19th, 2012 at 3:30:23 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Are you throwing down the Brady Bunch trivia gauntlet at my feel?! Nobody messes with me when it comes to the Brady Bunch. I will mop the floor with you, or anyone!

My kids used to watch Brady Bunch reruns. I would ask them to come up with a couple questions
from each episode. I don't think I missed any legitimate question.

But I'm sure you are very good. You're not the kind of guy that will talk smack and not back it up.
Maybe I'm over my head here??
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 19th, 2012 at 3:33:36 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

My kids used to watch Brady Bunch reruns.

I'd rather do Bewitched trivia or Beverly Hillbillies. Or Green Acres.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 19th, 2012 at 3:59:36 PM permalink
Let's pick up discussion about the Brady Bunch in this new thread: Brady Bunch Trivia.
tomadams
tomadams
  • Threads: 1
December 10th, 2012 at 3:28:20 PM permalink
Thanks for the memory. Like you I enjoyd the show. So much humor and all in good taste. Certainly not like todays shows.
  • Jump to: