No votes (0%)
2 votes (66.66%)
1 vote (33.33%)

3 members have voted

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
July 5th, 2017 at 10:16:56 PM permalink
Can you stare at a blank wall or close your eyes, and visually imagine seeing numbers without any thoughts about what they are, while continuing a sequence?

Count to ten starting at one, imagining two, then three, etc. I've found I cannot do this as hard as I try. I can do this by mentally thinking "number" moving along the line. I think I'm going to do it, then suddenly think 1, 2, like a compulsion.

Added: Think about why this is yourself first, my
Both sides of the brain are necessary to accomplish the task.
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on Jul 5, 2017
I am a robot.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
July 6th, 2017 at 12:59:57 AM permalink
I'm not sure I understand. You mean you visualize the numerals, in order, but don't think of them as numbers?

I thought the title was "Visualizing Members." That would be an interesting thread.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
July 6th, 2017 at 2:03:57 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I'm not sure I understand. You mean you visualize the numerals, in order, but don't think of them as numbers?

I thought the title was "Visualizing Members." That would be an interesting thread.

Yes. Look a a blank wall, visually imagine there is a 1 there, then change the image to a 2, then to a 3, as if taking art off the wall and replacing it. You cannot think with your inner voice while doing it. You might find yourself saying "one" right before switching the image to a two, and you swear you won't. As I have written, I found I can do the task if my inner voice thinks of any word, but I cannot complete the task keeping my inner voice quiet. You can stare at a wall, or close your eyes to visualize, doesn't matter.
I am a robot.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 6th, 2017 at 3:34:21 AM permalink
No offense, ONM, but your recent submissions make me think, well, could it be?

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
July 6th, 2017 at 3:48:49 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

No offense, ONM, but your recent submissions make me think, well, could it be?

No way Jose. You can't do it can you?
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
July 6th, 2017 at 4:00:56 AM permalink
It might be possible a lefty can do this, but I'm not sure. Language is a supercharger getting the most out of our brains, that's why I think this is hard. I've heard in Youtube videos, our inner voice, conscious decisions are actually after the fact, not in real time. In other words, our brains decide to act before we think we decide to act, there is a lag. The challenge I describe is contrary to what we have learned, not recognizing what we see internally. As we were kids, at one point, we saw letters and numbers and were oblivious to what they represented, we have learned to recognize them, but cannot unlearn to recognize them. Try staring at a word or number directly and not deciphering what it is, cannot be done unless your brain is damaged.

There have been such a thing as feral humans. They pretty much cannot learn language and their brains cannot think like we think. I suppose you can say, you cannot think without language and the inner voice. It was tried with deaf people getting them to mimic language instead of teaching language, and they just couldn't think right. As a matter of fact, deaf people can probably do this task, since their language is visual, not auditory.
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on Jul 6, 2017
I am a robot.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 6th, 2017 at 5:57:34 AM permalink
OK, I'll bite as long as you promise you aren't sucking down wacky weed smoke and then composing these posts!

Feral humans are an interesting study, every once in a while there's a program on a science channel about them. There's an aspect of the human brain that allows us to learn language innately when young that goes away over time. Math too I think. Regarding deaf people, there's no question they do not learn spoken language easily even when it is written down, although it is easy to imagine that the way to communicate with them if you do not know sign language is to use writing. Nope, generally they do not know written language either; one of the things they learn when they go to their special colleges, like Gallaudet, is exactly that .
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
July 6th, 2017 at 7:07:11 AM permalink
You're reminding me of the quiz - meme about "say the color". Very hard to do, though seems it would be easy.

Try it yourself. Quickly say the COLOR of each word in this list out loud.

BLUE

RED

GREEN

YELLOW

ORANGE

PURPLE

PINK

GREEN

RED

BLUE

If you think you got thru the list without error, I would bet you just didn't realize you got one or more wrong. As ONM said, we're programmed.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
July 6th, 2017 at 7:28:15 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

OK, I'll bite as long as you promise you aren't sucking down wacky weed smoke and then composing these posts!

Feral humans are an interesting study, every once in a while there's a program on a science channel about them. There's an aspect of the human brain that allows us to learn language innately when young that goes away over time. Math too I think. Regarding deaf people, there's no question they do not learn spoken language easily even when it is written down, although it is easy to imagine that the way to communicate with them if you do not know sign language is to use writing. Nope, generally they do not know written language either; one of the things they learn when they go to their special colleges, like Gallaudet, is exactly that .

Sure it's a seemingly useless observation, but I'm interested in what interests me. Even if there is not an answer, I enjoy finding out there may not be an answer or solution. I'm learning something else or at least understanding other things I'm really thinking of when I do. The lack of ability is unique and surprising to me. You can see a circle and not think about it being a circle, but you cannot imagine a circle and not think it is a circle. I have trouble concentrating on what I may wish I could concentrate on, this is probably what my thoughts have subconsciously trying to bring to the forefront. I find it funny my mind works in code sometimes like that, a process.

Feral humans are rare, just because it's not human to totally neglect a child too often. Our societies are stacked on the backs of the discoveries of our ancestors. Read something somewhere recently, or maybe a YouTube video (either way, source unknown), where people had discovered some kind of monkey using stone tools. It was theorized our ancient ancestors had copied such usage from them, and not them imitating us. We have lost a lot of knowledge through our history, probably the most ever when switching to the internet. There were many books nobody bothered reading discarded, believing the internet had it.

Anyways, deaf people used to be forced to speak verbal language they were never able to understand and could not see the forest. It has happened where deaf were labeled as mentally retarded misdiagnosed. Sign language is a language that lets them link different parts of the brain for higher function. I just noticed I can imagine a hand moving in different positions without thought of meaning, but such movement means nothing to me, so it might not prove anything. I believe the deaf could pull off what I originally pondered was impossible.

I am a bot though OG if that's ok, no mouth to smoke. Lol.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: