2 votes (6.06%)
1 vote (3.03%)

33 members have voted

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 151
July 17th, 2017 at 12:36:18 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I like restaurants with a semi-open kitchen, sitting across from that is cool because it's fun to watch what they are doing.

Another point in favor of Waffle House.

_

I would not have a problem with tipping if I got an itemized list of services I wanted.

- Was server pleasant = 2%
- Did server check back to see if you needed anything = 2%
- Did server get your order right or immediately correct it ASAP= 2%

You probably think I'm kidding, but why should I not pay exactly for what is owed and what I actually wanted and no more?

Sure would like to.
prisoner of gravity
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 50
July 17th, 2017 at 12:44:49 PM permalink
Well this is just a little Peyton Place, and you're all Harper Valley hypocrites
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 25
July 17th, 2017 at 1:47:05 PM permalink
This thread is still going?

Tipping is horrifically complicated, but can be made simple:

1) Yes the employer SHOULD be the one paying a fare wage. While I don't support tipping I ACCEPT IT as part of our reality and world we live in.

2) Reality is they're not, so don't be that guy trying to "show" the employer up by stiffing the worker. Tip...

3) 20% for good service, 15% for average service, 10% for sub average, and 0% for sh*t service. I've personally only tipped $0 maybe 4 times in my life, and it was beyond deserved.

4) Remember though, if they did up the employee wage, then they'd just up the price of the meal, so you're not going to get out of it. So you can either be a dick to a complete stranger trying to be nice and serve you, or you can pay what you'd be paying either way regardless of the business model. It's part of the cost of eating out and being served instead of cooking a meal for yourself.

5) Group tipping - should be proportional to what you ordered, same rules apply above. Also, if you're a regular "non-tipper" you should still tip in the group, otherwise others will cover your slack and you're just taking money out of your friends pockets, and then you won't be invited out anymore either.

6) Comped tipping - if someone treats you to a comped meal, don't be that guy yet again... offer to leave tip and accept a yes, no, or split. But OFFER, as they OFFERED you the comped meal.

<sarcasm>So now I'd expect this thread to close, since we're all on the same page, right???<sarcasm>
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
TigerWu
TigerWu 
  • Threads: 6
July 17th, 2017 at 1:47:43 PM permalink
Quote: ZenKinG

If you support tippimg youre part of the problem amd society has you by the balls.

I have zero issues with paying people extra for good service, therefore this "problem" of which you speak doesn't exist in my reality.

Quote: onenickelmiracle

Tipping must have been different in the fourties and fifties, because my dad always said the tip is supposed to be based on the total before drinks and tax.

Before tax is how I always learned to tip, and that's how I still do it.

Speaking of splitting up tips with the other employees, how common is that? When I worked at a restaurant years ago, the waitstaff kept all their tips. Bartenders got their own tips. People in the back like the cooks and dishwashers (me) didn't get a share of anybody's tips.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 63
July 17th, 2017 at 2:00:16 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Speaking of splitting up tips with the other employees, how common is that? When I worked at a restaurant years ago, the waitstaff kept all their tips. Bartenders got their own tips. People in the back like the cooks and dishwashers (me) didn't get a share of anybody's tips.

I think it is very common. My daughter worked at a chain restaurant when she was younger and the waitresses were expected to give a small part of their tips to the bartender for making the drinks they delivered to the tables. It was understood that the waitresses that didn't tip the bartenders got their drinks last and their customers would have to wait the longest.

Most bartenders that have barbacks tip them. At nicer restaurants the waiters tip out the water boys, bus boys, the food servers, the bartenders, and the somollier. I also understand that maitre'd may also get tipped for directing customers to specific waiters tables.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 21
July 17th, 2017 at 2:02:00 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

The first thing she did was the drinks went empty two or three times, (which is, like, the ONLY thing I really care about)

That's really the only thing I care about as well. (Well, that and having any condiments I request while ordering brought when the food comes or before.)

My Dad suggested one time putting a chess clock on the table. Set the opponent's (i.e. waitress) time to 30 minutes, or whatever. When you finish a drink, you hit your side and her side starts running down. When she brings the next drink, she hits her side and stops her clock. However minutes are left on her clock when the meal is finished, that's her tip in %.

I think some servers would get a kick out of this, but most would just (want to) hit you over the head with the clock,
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
TigerWu
TigerWu 
  • Threads: 6
July 17th, 2017 at 2:26:52 PM permalink
Oh my god, read this and tell me this woman isn't an entitled P.O.S. Especially that letter at the end that you're supposed to print out and hand to your server. That is a first class ticket to spitsville and terrible service.

http://www.mommyshorts.com/2011/06/5-strategies-for-servers-with-small-children-at-the-table.html
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 25
July 17th, 2017 at 2:37:16 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Oh my god, read this and tell me this woman isn't an entitled P.O.S. Especially that letter at the end that you're supposed to print out and hand to your server. That is a first class ticket to spitsville and terrible service.

http://www.mommyshorts.com/2011/06/5-strategies-for-servers-with-small-children-at-the-table.html

Good lord....that sort of privileged housewife (or husband) attitude is absolutely pervasive where I live, and it's the same exact thing as ghetto logic. They think the world owes them something the second they step out the door.

Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 99
July 17th, 2017 at 4:14:54 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Another point in favor of Waffle House.

_

I would not have a problem with tipping if I got an itemized list of services I wanted.

- Was server pleasant = 2%
- Did server check back to see if you needed anything = 2%
- Did server get your order right or immediately correct it ASAP= 2%

You probably think I'm kidding, but why should I not pay exactly for what is owed and what I actually wanted and no more?

Sure would like to.

I mean, the fact that you can is the beauty of tipping. Make your own list and follow it. You can tip as much or as little as you want.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 99
July 17th, 2017 at 4:15:45 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Well this is just a little Peyton Place, and you're all Harper Valley hypocrites

I don't know what any of that means aside from, 'Hypocrites,' and to the extent I am part of, 'All,' what did I do?
Vultures can't be choosers.

• Jump to: