1 vote (3.03%)

33 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 972
June 16th, 2017 at 10:48:11 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

where is the option of, who the hell tips at a buffet ;-)

The closest option to that was 4th from the bottom. In reality, I think most people tip something at buffets, especially if you get drink service, except my father.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
June 16th, 2017 at 10:58:55 AM permalink
Bob invited. He pays the tip. Period. When you invite someone for lunch and don't disclose the terms, you are always paying.

Unless there is a pattern otherwise. This has happened to me many times. Of course, I always offer up a tip nonetheless when someone else is paying my free way no matter what the circumstances are (unless it is a restaurant my friend knows I don't like or can't afford).

But Bob invited, Bob's responsible for disclosing terms before hand and he is on the hook for the entire meal.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 6
June 16th, 2017 at 11:08:28 AM permalink

There's still usually waitstaff that walk around clearing plates and taking care of drink orders.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 137
June 16th, 2017 at 11:46:20 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Bob invited. He pays the tip. Period. When you invite someone for lunch and don't disclose the terms, you are always paying.

Unless there is a pattern otherwise. This has happened to me many times. Of course, I always offer up a tip nonetheless when someone else is paying my free way no matter what the circumstances are (unless it is a restaurant my friend knows I don't like or can't afford).

But Bob invited, Bob's responsible for disclosing terms before hand and he is on the hook for the entire meal.

it would take a cheap (frugal) person to not offer to pick up the tip. If Bob says no, I got it after pulling it out, maybe different story.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 186
June 16th, 2017 at 11:53:13 AM permalink

Everybody. ;-)
I remember the thirty-five sweet goodbyes; When you put me on the Wolverine up to Annandale; It was still September When your daddy was quite surprised; To find you with the working girls in the county jail; I was smoking with the boys upstairs when I Heard about the whole affair;I said oh no William and Mary won't do
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 25
June 16th, 2017 at 12:16:35 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Do you mean extraneous?

Pardon my grammar; you are correct.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 58
June 16th, 2017 at 12:31:08 PM permalink
Interesting conundrum.
Jim was invited, so is under no obligation to pay anything.
However, failure to at least offer to pay will probably result in no future invitations.
I suppose it comes down to this- was either the food or the company worth a repeat performance. If yes, Jim should pay.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 128
June 16th, 2017 at 12:32:26 PM permalink
I can see it either way. I think sometimes people with comps use other people inviting guests just so they'll pay the tip for them. It's still a good deal only paying the tip, not spending the money needed for a large comp, but those same people with comps are going to hand away thousands anyways, so why expect someone with lessor means to pay. Why just not be generous completely, because $10 will not be the $10 you need to get it all back. I did vote Jim should pay the tip, but that's usually but not always. I ignored what was eaten and drunk in the example, because it really doesn't matter unless it's a 90/10, 80/20 case.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 146
June 16th, 2017 at 12:34:21 PM permalink
Well everyone at the table in the opening of reservoir dogs had to contribute to the tip because the host said if he covered dinner every one else covers the tip. Bob covered dinner even if comped so jim covers the tip

Or pulls out his micro fingered violin
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 7
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
June 16th, 2017 at 12:37:49 PM permalink
real APs agree never to tip anyone ever again so nobody left a tip but Bob is one of those guys who feels guilty so he slips 20% when his friend isn't watching. Oddly enough so does Jim. Dumb bastards!

• Jump to: