BillionDollar
BillionDollar
  • Threads: 4
May 28th, 2017 at 2:10:33 AM permalink
Hello All,

I have two betting systems that I like to play for fun and maybe win a small amount. Looking for advice on which you think is better?

1) Roulette - Bet 2 units with 63% chance of winning 1 unit.

2) Baccarat - Bet 1 unit with 48% chance of winning 1 unit.

A math genius friend this is a no brain'er the math says Baccarat but, I think he is thinking in terms of large sample sets. I am interested in a hit and run strategy with stop losses at 30%. If I hit my target I could walk away in just a few short spins/hands.

Thanks again.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
BillionDollar
May 28th, 2017 at 3:32:47 AM permalink
your genius friend is probably just aware there is a huge difference in the house edge and is not interested in evaluating the math of someone who is - shall we say - 'new' to gambling math.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
dajakesta
dajakesta
  • Threads: 23
Thanked by
BillionDollar
May 28th, 2017 at 7:58:42 AM permalink
Quote: BillionDollar

Hello All,

I have two betting systems that I like to play for fun and maybe win a small amount. Looking for advice on which you think is better?

1) Roulette - Bet 2 units with 63% chance of winning 1 unit.

2) Baccarat - Bet 1 unit with 48% chance of winning 1 unit.

A math genius friend this is a no brain'er the math says Baccarat but, I think he is thinking in terms of large sample sets. I am interested in a hit and run strategy with stop losses at 30%. If I hit my target I could walk away in just a few short spins/hands.

Thanks again.

Ok, baccarat would still be my choice since if you don't hit, you'd be down 2 units instead of one.
klimate10
klimate10
  • Threads: 35
May 30th, 2017 at 9:57:13 PM permalink
I never believe people when they say 'hit and run', likely they're never going to play again. You're going to play some more, to where eventually everything averages out.

Sure you might play fewer hands per hour because you're leaving after a win, so your expected loss is less, but it doesn't change the math.

The only people who truly hit and run are people who hate gambling and did it once to try it, like my ex, who literally has played one hand of craps in her life, and it was with a $25 match play coupon.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 30th, 2017 at 11:08:25 PM permalink
Just be stupid and gamble anyways. You'll save the time of finding some pseudo statistics to justify it. It ends badly, but you could have stayed home watching SNL and not be much better off.
I am a robot.
klimate10
klimate10
  • Threads: 35
May 30th, 2017 at 11:56:44 PM permalink
For a new or first time gambler, the worst thing that can happen is if you win big.

I say that with all sincerity.

Almost every degenerate gambler I knew had a story of winning big the first time gambling, whether it was sports betting, poker, craps, blackjack, etc. You will forever be chasing that high for the rest of your life.
mamat
mamat
  • Threads: 3
May 31st, 2017 at 3:10:36 AM permalink
I met a lady in her 40s that said the worst thing that ever happened to her was winning a few hundred thousand in her 20s.

She didn't elaborate. Neither did I ask.
  • Jump to: