pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 6th, 2012 at 3:28:20 PM permalink
We all know about what is happening in Portugal, Greece, Italy, Ireland and Spain, but I was reading this article on Quantitative Easing and the Bank of England. Quantitative Easing literally refers to what do you do if you have cut interest rates to the bone, and at the same time the government is in debt to the max, and you can't raise taxes any more? The answer is, of course, print more money. Or in the modern world you inject more electronic money into the system.

5 July 2012 BBC on Q&A: Quantitative easing outlines the Bank of England injecting £75bn into the economy in March 2009, expanding the programme to £200bn later that year. In October 2011, the Bank announced a further £75bn and another £50bn February 2012. They announced this week that they are adding another £50bn into the economy, taking the total size of the quantitative easing programme to £375bn. In comparison the GDP of the entire kingdom was £383 bn in the 1st quarter of 2012.

Lest printed money is completely overlooked, the Bank of England has produced way more £50 notes in the first half of 2012 then they have in the previous 8 years, and more than the entire amount in circulation. Now some of that is to retire the old notes with the new £50 banknote, but given that these notes do not circulate very much in conservative Britain, they normally take a decade on average to wear out.

Production £50 Production End of Feb £50 Circulation
2003/04 24 2004 115
2004/05 0 2005 122
2005/06 30 2006 130
2006/07 0 2007 134
2007/08 20 2008 151
2008/09 62 2009 174
2009/10 118 2010 185
2010/11 0 2011 199
2011/12 278 2012 198

That's pretty scary statistics. As one banker described it, the changes are unprecedented in their history (excepting wartime). He was asked to comment on the latest round of QE, and he said they have little choice. All the previous rounds of dumping money into the economy have only helped stablilize.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 6th, 2012 at 3:36:56 PM permalink
I already started. It hit 104 here and my power went off at
2pm and I spent 4 hours holed up in my musty basement
where its 65 year round. My dog was very confused by my odd
behavior.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
July 6th, 2012 at 4:02:49 PM permalink
Looks like the end to me.

For less than a day's work, Johnson is entitled to a hefty exit package that could amount to about $44 million, according to a securities filing.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
July 6th, 2012 at 4:04:07 PM permalink
The new nukes for oil deal between China and Saudi Arabia until 2035 frightens me more than anything.
100% risk of ruin
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 6th, 2012 at 7:07:09 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Looks like the end to me.
For less than a day's work, Johnson is entitled to a hefty exit package that could amount to about $44 million, according to a securities filing.

Good story. One wonders how money that comes from former public utilities can end up on individual contracts like that in the first place.

In a sense there is a parallel with my story. In order to kickstart the British economy the Bank of England produces "money" on a quantity of 7 times the sum of all the printed banknotes. That value is dumped into the public where I assume a great deal pools into the hands of a few people. At least in the old days when the economy was going to hell in handbasket, they actually had to take the time to print the banknotes.

AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
July 9th, 2012 at 6:50:26 PM permalink
I've been buying gold and silver since 2008, but I have really been meaning to work on the parallel aspects of my disaster/post-apocalyptic/dystopian future planning kit. The fly in the ointment right now is that I don't have a job, so I need to be a little bit stingy. I've already researched guns and am relatively sure what I want to buy for a basic handgun, but am going to wait until I have an income stream again. In addition to trade-able gold/silver and a handgun, I'm thinking about stockpiling:

-ammunition (for my own weapon and also other common calibers)
-water (need a container type that will be safe over long periods of time)
-non-perishable food
-toilet paper
-gasoline (is there a safe way to personally store medium quantities of gasoline?)

Also would like to supplement the handgun with a shotgun.

I sincerely hope I never have to use this stuff for its intended purpose, but better safe than sorry.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 9th, 2012 at 7:12:33 PM permalink
Somewhat like Aces, I've been mildly preparing. Nothing so intense like a "safe room", but I've been slowly buying ammo faster than I burn it. Mostly, I've been sharpening survival skills. Granted, come the nuclear decimation of humanity, and I'll be dead pretty quick. But if society crumbles, I reckon I could last quite a while, even given no weapons or tools whatsoever. Unless, of course, it goes down in October, because I need at least a month's notice to be able to walk from WNY to somewhere not so bleeding cold ;)

Aces, as far as your fuel depot goes, you ever consider diesel? I assume you're thinking generator, and many types come diesel powered. It's not nearly as explosive as gas, and lasts longer given the same size gen. If that's not possible, a tank is obviously what you need. Ever see a farm truck? Many have a tool box installed immediately behind the cab with a handle pump, like an old school water faucet. Some farm supply stores sell tanks exactly that size that fit in the same spot. I'm not sure of exact specs, but I'd reckon they'd be in the 25-50gal range. There's also on site storage tanks, I've seen them at farms and construction companies. Tanks from home propane tank size (few hundred gallons) all the way up to truck stop holding tank size (10kgal). I imagine these are costly, and may require permits, but the options are out there.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
scire
scire
  • Threads: 9
July 9th, 2012 at 7:58:19 PM permalink
Don't have to worry about Society crumbling just yet.

Type in --liveleak eminent domain --- and you'll see what has to happen first. Bond debt repayment-- thru the giving up of a Nations land.

Nice huh.

sing along....this land is my land this land is your land etc....NOT.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 9th, 2012 at 10:10:03 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Somewhat like Aces, I've been mildly preparing. Nothing so intense like a "safe room", but I've been slowly buying ammo faster than I burn it. Mostly, I've been sharpening survival skills. Granted, come the nuclear decimation of humanity, and I'll be dead pretty quick. But if society crumbles, I reckon I could last quite a while, even given no weapons or tools whatsoever. Unless, of course, it goes down in October, because I need at least a month's notice to be able to walk from WNY to somewhere not so bleeding cold ;)

Add me into this group. learning how to do it. Heck, I even put in a bid to buy a basic website on the subject. I don't figure to plan to survive a nuclear war, but when the new house is complete I am going to start growing some basic foodstuffs. Store a few months of the basics. Learn to purify water--I am near the river so that is a help. All the basics, build and build on it. The more you can hunker down for even a few months the better. It is not a total breakdown that may come, but lots of spot-shortages.

BTW: To all, be very careful about storing gasoline. Instead I would learn to distill alcohol. A car can proably run on it even if not well it will still be better than old gas. Alcohol has other uses, and history shows alcohol can be traded for other things of value in a pinch.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 9th, 2012 at 11:17:37 PM permalink
Armageddon?

Really?

Pshaw.

nothing to fear
"What, me worry?"
appistapp1s
appistapp1s
  • Threads: 1
July 9th, 2012 at 11:52:40 PM permalink
quantitative easing explained in real terms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY16CkS-k
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
July 10th, 2012 at 12:14:11 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Also would like to supplement the handgun with a shotgun.

My choice would be a rifle, then a shotgun. A rifle can be used in almost every situation a shotgun can, the same cannot be said in reverse. If I could only have one gun, I'd pick even a 30-30 lever gun over a modern 12-gauge semi-auto or pump. A solid rifle like an AK-47, AR-15, M1A, etc would be even better. If you want to add the limited-application weapon that is the shotgun later, by all means do.

Pick common calibers and have at least a couple boxes (or cases!) of ammo on hand for each weapon.

Quote:

I sincerely hope I never have to use this stuff for its intended purpose, but better safe than sorry.

Until it changes, the intended purpose is to get out and shoot and train. Work hard and have fun doing it. Learn malfunction clearances, proper presentation/draw. Carry every day until it's just no big deal.

Join IDPA and shoot that once a month.

Lots of opportunities. And you might just be effective if the time comes to rise to the occasion and defeat your adversary.

What is a medium quantity of gasoline? I have 30 gallons in approved containers, stabilized, in the garage. I rotate it through the hoopty truck once a year.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
July 10th, 2012 at 12:28:49 AM permalink
stockpile shotguns and ammunition. let everyone else do the planning.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 10th, 2012 at 6:31:24 AM permalink
Quote: appistapp1s

Omid Malekan is pretty funny. "I want to bang my head against the wall. ... Are you shittin' me? ... What does that mean?"

"The printing money is the last refuge of failed economic empires and banana republics, and the FED doesn't want to admit that this is their only idea!".
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 10th, 2012 at 11:09:22 AM permalink
as far as guns go, if you have to use one to eat, the shotgun is indispensable.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
scire
scire
  • Threads: 9
July 10th, 2012 at 12:18:42 PM permalink
I'm with you MrV.... Today the world is being controlled by the UN and th IMF. We already exist in a Quasi "Govenment/Business model" of world wide control. The best system really any Nation can hope for to "keep the Peace".

The Problem is the huge bundle of debt the US has acquired along with hugh unfunded liabilities.

When I first saw "the idea" of the possibility of an "eminent domain" "model" for the repayment of out National Debt it hit me hard.

If things get bad enough here in the US I truly believe the "land transfer" will relieve the pressure for quite some time and then allow us to give more to a failing Europe thru the IMF. Thus stabilization.

I mean doesn't it make sense? More of "our"????? property is being gobbled up by wealthy foreign investors anyway daily. Has anyone read/heard about who's buying all the now undervalued high end condo's in Florida?

But I too have supplied myself with "xtra" goods. Makes sense to play it safe.

Just pointing out a logical outcome BEFORE any real chaos. {But do believe within 30-50 years a overpopulated planet will cause much financial ruin.}

Does anyone think the US would not put up an Eminent domain model for debt repayment? Why would China buy our debt without a guarantee of some sort.
Would the US ever "stiff" China? doubt it.

Can we ever raise the cash to repay ? NO.

Massive inflation as was the case in pre WW2 - won't let that happen.

If the US stiffed China or any other large Nationalistic Nation through default they know the DARK AGES would return.

(unless the Gov confiscated personal wealth (401k, IRA or raid personal wealth) which would THEN end it all quick)-- really doubt this)

The Gov will always keep the food in the supermarkets and as long as people can eat they will stay in hope that things will get better. It really is about food.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
July 10th, 2012 at 12:30:14 PM permalink
Scary chart.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 10th, 2012 at 3:13:50 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Add me into this group. learning how to do it. Heck, I even put in a bid to buy a basic website on the subject. I don't figure to plan to survive a nuclear war, but when the new house is complete I am going to start growing some basic foodstuffs. Store a few months of the basics. Learn to purify water--I am near the river so that is a help. All the basics, build and build on it. The more you can hunker down for even a few months the better. It is not a total breakdown that may come, but lots of spot-shortages.

Even if society doesn't crumble, it's not unlikely that I find myself stranded, lost, or incapacitated in the wild. I'm always thinking and learning on what to do "if". As a result, I've found an incredible amount of resources available right in my own backyard that are obtainable with not much more than my hands and rough tools like rocks and sticks. I have little to no doubt that, if challenged, I could survive an entire WNY warm season without losing so much as a pound, and do so completely without outside aid and at no cost.

We're in the same geographic area. It might not be a bad idea to check into one of those survival type books. Nothing so extreme as the song and dances you see with Bear Grylls and Cody Lundin, but just knowing edible plants and invertabrates found at home could be lifesaving. When your out and about, take notice of the bugs, plants, trees around you, and find out their uses. Also, find stuff you absolutely need to stay away from. We may not be the tropics, but in a weakened state, there's plenty of usually mild stuff in our area that could end in a painful demise.

Some say it's silly, but you never know. Knowing that given nothing, I could be warm, well hydrated, well nourished and safe, maybe even comfortable, gives great peace of mind.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
July 10th, 2012 at 5:26:36 PM permalink
Quote: appistapp1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY16CkS-k

This was great, thanks for sharing!

"But wasn't the President Obama supposed to bring the Change."
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 12th, 2012 at 4:56:04 PM permalink
Finance Explained In 1946
No, but you . . . you . . . you're thinking of this place all wrong. As if I had the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Your money's in Joe's house . . . right next to yours. And in the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Macklin's house, and a hundred others. Why, you're lending them the money to build, and then, they're going to pay it back to you as best they can. Now what are you going to do? Foreclose on them?

Finance Explained Today
Joe's house, and the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Macklin's house, and a hundred others are all underwater. Both deficits and total debt are at an all time maximum, higher than even in 1946 when we were paying off the WWII debt. Conventional monetary policy has become ineffective. Short-term interest rates are either at, or close to, zero, so normal monetary policy can no longer lower interest rates. When Central banks were created they were wisely prohibited from purchasing government securities directly. So instead of the traditional technique they are creating money in quantities that are several times the total of all printed money, and using that newly created electronic money to buy bonds from Goldman Sachs who buys them from the Treasury.

pacomartin
pacomartin
July 12th, 2012 at 5:12:08 PM permalink

As I said in other threads, the Bank of England was forced to demonetize all banknotes greater than £5 in WWII because the Nazis had used 144 Jewish concentration camp inmates to counterfeit all their currency. The £50 banknote was not re-introduced for another 35 years (worth about US$77 today) and has been circulating in very small quantities until last year. The story of Jews was dramatized a few years ago.

Last year's production of £50 banknotes (285 million notes) was greater than the cumulative production of the previous decade. Partly that is because the new design must eventually replace the old design, but the production seems excessive even given the replacement of the old banknotes. I think it has something to do with the £375 billion in Quantitative Easing that has been released in the past few years. Iceland also tripled their printed currency in circulation four years ago when the banks all went bankrupt. People distrust their savings accounts, and want money the old fashioned way.

The USA printed an incredible quantity of Benjamins for the year 2000, which was pointless.
  • Jump to: