FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
April 2nd, 2013 at 3:05:10 PM permalink
Throughout history people have believed in the gods or the God of the bible or however you wish to word it. Their beliefs are and have been strong. I know that early on we needed an explanation for this or that or everything. Today we need an explanation for this or that or everything.

I know religion (as a layman). I know science (as a layman).

But when I see the intense emotion of those who believe in their religion or their god, it is dismaying. When I see the intense scorn and adherence to scientific data that others have it is just as disconcerting. The feeling that one has "the truth" is disconcerting. Although Pontius Pilate was being sarcastic when he asked Christ, "What is truth?" I think that is the question that ultimately stirs us all.

Is it possible (or likely) that we look for beliefs that consume us, control us, make us feel we have a handle on, well, a handle on everything? Can expressions of pro-abortionists be considered as religiously based as those of anti-abortionists? Are we looking to be emotionally consumed by whatever we believe in? Is this genetic?

These are some of the things I wonder about before I am to watch my DVR of "Castle."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 2nd, 2013 at 3:31:01 PM permalink
As another member eloquently put it in a PM, the only things I claim to have some understanding of are gambling and certain old TV shows. I have my positions on religion and abortion, but could easily be wrong about either or both of them.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
TheWolf713
TheWolf713
  • Threads: 20
April 3rd, 2013 at 1:29:34 PM permalink
Belief is necessary in that Believing completes the Circle of Nothingness.... There is no "Being" without "nothingness" and vice versa

Just think about the concept of god.... If he was in our face we would have NOTHING to believe about him, but because he is not here, The Belief in him is stronger... There is more power in his NOTHING, or not being, than there is in him being right in front of you....

Think of the belief system like a Pendulum.. Its just a mental mechanism to keep the mind ticking back and forth. This is why most people re-visit old ideas in their minds.
"I'm a DO'er and you my friend, are a Don'ter" -Mark Walberg pain and Gain
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 3rd, 2013 at 1:48:30 PM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

But when I see the intense emotion of those who believe in their religion or their god, it is dismaying."

Intense belief in religion is usually used as power
over people who don't believe as you do. Its used
to overwhelm those with doubt and give the believer
an inflated ego. If you have whole groups of people
with intense beliefs, you get Inquisitions and jihads.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
April 3rd, 2013 at 1:59:57 PM permalink
Flying Spaghetti Monster wants us all to be happy. Ramen
Each day is better than the next
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
April 3rd, 2013 at 2:44:44 PM permalink
I do like spaghetti.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 3rd, 2013 at 4:20:43 PM permalink
Before science came to the fore and provided answers to pretty much all of our questions, religion served a needed purpose: to explain how the world works.

True, it was all mumbo jumbo and patently incorrect, but people accepted anything at face value.

Now, with the ascent of science, the need for religion is pretty much gone.

The only purpose I see for it is to provide a balm or comfort to people who fear death.
"What, me worry?"
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
April 3rd, 2013 at 4:47:33 PM permalink
His Noodlyness (FSM) will comfort all in their time of need.....Ramen
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
April 4th, 2013 at 2:10:11 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Before science came to the fore and provided answers to pretty much all of our questions, religion served a needed purpose: to explain how the world works.

True, it was all mumbo jumbo and patently incorrect, but people accepted anything at face value.

Now, with the ascent of science, the need for religion is pretty much gone.

The only purpose I see for it is to provide a balm or comfort to people who fear death.

I think you are over estimating the answers that religion gives and I know you are greatly exaggerating science's ability to explain how the world works.

Religion or belief in God does not somehow answer all the questions about life, certainly not in the rock solid way you imply. It is not intended to explain how the world works, if anything religion plunges us into deeper mystery where truths are too extraordinary and important to be addressed by science and its dependence on observation, tests, and certainty.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 4th, 2013 at 3:04:12 PM permalink
I'm sorry Father, but the notion that we have a "soul" is too great of a stretch for me to accept.

The belief that an incorporeal life force leaves our body upon death and is then given eternal happiness or damnation by an omnipotent being depending on whether we led a good life is too much for me to swallow.

Hey, Linda Lovelace I'm not.

But it is a free country, and you of course are free to believe what you wish.
"What, me worry?"
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
April 4th, 2013 at 3:23:55 PM permalink
Mr V, The Flying Spaghetti Monster understands your doubt and forgives Linda Lovelace (one of His favorites).
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 4th, 2013 at 3:37:43 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Mr V, The Flying Spaghetti Monster understands your doubt and forgives Linda Lovelace (one of His favorites).

Ah, Linda. Young people today have no idea what a
big deal she was. Like she invented that particular
sport or something..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
April 4th, 2013 at 3:43:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Ah, Linda. Young people today have no idea what a
big deal she was. Like she invented that particular
sport or something..

1. Patented is the word.
2. I am a member of an offshoot sect, the Flying Ramen Noodle monster.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 4th, 2013 at 3:54:15 PM permalink
Need belief? Nihilists don't. (Don't worry, Donny, these men are cowards.) (Dunno why I'm on a Lebowski quote kick =p)

I'm atheist, but even I have beliefs. Beleifs about the here, about the after, about many different things. I don't think I've ever asked myself "why". I mean, yeah, on the surface, I've often wondered why I "beLeaf" the Maple Leafs are the greatest team in sports (obvious: cuz they ARE!), but I've never asked "why do I have beliefs, period". It's an interesting question, one I will no doubt ponder for a long time (thanks, Frank).

My initial thought is that perhaps beliefs are a way of judging that which cannot or is not known, both to benefit us and keep us from danger. To use what is probably a poor example; I don't bother with safety equipment when I go bass fishing. The dangers I perceive are engine fires, capsizing, sinking, basically losing my boat. In bass waters, I believe I could leave the boat and make it shore. I don't know I could, but based on time, distance, and my abilities, it seems reasonable. My belief here affords me the luxury of spending less time loading and unloading gear, more free room on my boat, and more time on my boat free of clutter. Walleye fishing is a different story. Should I lose my boat and not have my gear, I believe I would die. I don't know that, but based on the same info that I have, it seems the likely outcome. That belief makes me take the time and endure the hassle of gear, and should keep me safe.

Maybe all beliefs follow a similar mechanism. Both me as an atheist and someone as a theist can't each prove we're right, so we take what we do know and form beliefs to judge that which is around us to enhance our lives and protect us from danger. Even someone whose belief is incorrect, such as a betting system player, is still taking the things he knows and creating a system based on the belief that it will benefit him.

I dunno, that's all I got for now =/
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
April 4th, 2013 at 3:54:42 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

1. Patented is the word.

"There shall be no pasta before him"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
April 4th, 2013 at 4:55:17 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

At least the tithing is probably much cheaper than 10%.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
April 4th, 2013 at 5:34:43 PM permalink
I know how to make Ramen noodle god. Take a couple strands of regular cheap spaghetti. Chop it up. Add sawdust, water soluble glue, half cup of salt and form square patty. Let harden fully and insert in cheap plastic bag. Write chicken or beef noodle on cover. Serves 2 if necessary.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 19th, 2013 at 12:50:26 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

His Noodlyness (FSM) will comfort all in their time of need.....Ramen

May you be touched my His noodly appendage.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
April 19th, 2013 at 3:28:25 AM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

Throughout history people have believed in the gods or the God of the bible or however you wish to word it. Their beliefs are and have been strong. I know that early on we needed an explanation for this or that or everything. Today we need an explanation for this or that or everything.

I don't think it is a need for an explanation but a need to believe there is something bigger than yourself. Religion pops up in societies worldwide no matter how far apart they are in time and distance. Today you see a great deal of people who claim to be atheists have adopted "the environment" or "mother earth" as their religious cause, thought most do not realize this is what they have done.

Genetically it may be something we are predisposed to. Look at the writings of some pro-blackjack players and how they say you eventually feel your life is empty because all you do is sit at a table all day, creating nothing.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: