Thread Rating:

3102yuma
3102yuma
  • Threads: 1
May 12th, 2011 at 7:54:26 PM permalink
All of the responses have been incredible to my question. You are also spot on. I have asked myself what is the point of betting $5.00 on a hand if you are going to automatically put up 10% for the vic so to speak. I used to fly from Dallas to Bossier City out of Love Field on puddle jumpers for about $60 round trip. My style of play is failing me. I used to play at the one black chip minimum table and do a lot better. I would bring $5000, buy in for $1600. Once I would be ahead $1100 I was disiplined enough to quit the first hand I dipped below being ahead $1000. I had 22 winning sessions in a row following that stradegy. I bet the minimum of 1 black chip and a maximun of four black chips. The first time I surrendered all $5000 I quit making the trip.

Thanks
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
May 12th, 2011 at 9:25:32 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

As soon as a player took a goofy hit, the whole rest of the shoe would be off. If you think they're cheating, hit a 19, and then you'll get all the other guy's cards.

Or just randomly sit a hand out. How would the shuffler figure out how many people are playing? I think it's far more likely they're using irregular decks.

If dealer and player hands are dealt from separate decks, as I believe they are in a few places (Pennsylvania?) the task becomes much easier.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 13th, 2011 at 11:09:01 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I'd worry less about a shifty shuffler and more about a shifty deck of cards being fed in. Hold out a few cards from the deck and you could improve the house's chances.

Most new-generation shufflers have built-in deck-checking code. If the cards in the shoe aren't what they're supposed to be, the shuffler errors out and won't deal at all.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 13th, 2011 at 11:45:29 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Most new-generation shufflers have built-in deck-checking code. If the cards in the shoe aren't what they're supposed to be, the shuffler errors out and won't deal at all.

So it knows there should be, say 6 9's of diamonds?

Coo....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 162
May 13th, 2011 at 12:14:13 PM permalink
I think it's more of a simple number-of-cards thing.

Anybody who has played poker has seen a shuffler get a Red Light. Usually it's just a jammed / bent card. Not sure why it happens more with poker, except that the cards get more abuse by players.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
May 13th, 2011 at 12:15:05 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

So it knows there should be, say 6 9's of diamonds?

Coo....

Yeah, it also knows exactly how many cards there are, if they are the same brand/size. So you couldn't switch in your own cards.

EDIT the new shoes can also 'count' and signal the pit when the count it favourable for the player, then they just look for high bettors.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 162
May 13th, 2011 at 12:55:23 PM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

EDIT the new shoes can also 'count' and signal the pit when the count it favourable for the player, then they just look for high bettors.

Those are electronic shoes. They do not know the sequence of the cards, but can read them as they are being dealt.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 89
May 13th, 2011 at 1:51:57 PM permalink
Quote: 7outlineaway

If dealer and player hands are dealt from separate decks, as I believe they are in a few places (Pennsylvania?) the task becomes much easier.

Another one I don't believe!! Separate decks of cards for the players and the dealer?? Can anyone verify this one?
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
May 13th, 2011 at 9:54:16 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Another one I don't believe!! Separate decks of cards for the players and the dealer?? Can anyone verify this one?

the only time Ive heard of different decks is in relation to virtual BJ.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Bluechip
Bluechip
  • Threads: 2
May 15th, 2011 at 6:30:20 PM permalink
Croupier is right -- the virtual BJ machines in Pennsylvania deal from separate shoes for each player and the dealer. The regular table games use 6-deck or 8-deck shoes or a CSM. I live in Pennsylvania and have checked into them for a newspaper column.

• Jump to: