NandB
NandB
  • Threads: 8
February 7th, 2010 at 9:25:17 PM permalink
Locally, and by now maybe nationally, folks might have heard about a new Nat Gas energy plant in Middletown, CT that literally blew up. I will go on record here that at 11:20 by my clock (later discovered to be 1 minute fast), my mother and I both heard the explosion at my parents house. Hours later we hear of this on the local news. Some people ice-fishing (yes we do that in CT) got a poor quality celphone cam movie seconds after it happened. Many expletives uttered in shock. Comments of H.S. the plant blew up.

AFAIK at least 5 dead and 12 injured, but the duty roster hasn't been found... maybe some are M.P.D. considering the below freezing temps. Also of note is that the nat. gas was being purged (speculation: the fuel cell reactor was being tested? /speculation) from the system. For those interested in file footage, FOX61 in Hartford has the celphone clip and areal footage. There is a lot of loose debris, and a no-fly zone has been ordered in a cylinder 1/2 mile radius (helicopters are stirring things up).

Our thoughts and prayers are with the many families affected, and who have suffered loss. And its a loss for our energy needs as well around here.
To err is human. To air is Jordan. To arrr is pirate.
  • Jump to: