blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
March 27th, 2012 at 9:49:07 AM permalink
I've always been curious how people visualize time in different ways. Primarily the week and the calendar year.

Week - When I think of a week, I see it as seven rectangles linked together in the shape of an oval on its side. The rectangles run clockwise and only touch end-to-end (i.e. there is a hole in the middle of the oval). The Monday through Friday blocks make up the top half of the sideways oval and are all the same size. Saturday & Sunday make up the bottom half of the oval, with the Saturday block being slightly larger than Sunday. The point of view is as if I am standing stationary right in front of it looking at it.

Calendar Year - I visualize the calendar year as a teardrop shape with January (and then December) at the top of the teardrop. Each month is a rectangle, and they only touch on the tops and bottoms. Unlike the days of the week, the months run counter-clockwise. The blocks are different sizes, with the larger blocks being the summer months and December. Comparing it to clock positions, January through May is from 12-3, June through September is from 3-6, October to November is from 6-9, and then December is from 9-12 where it joins up at the top of the teardrop with January. The point of view is as if I am looking at it from above and am traveling along with whatever month it is. Sort of like riding on a roller coaster.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how other folks here "see" time.
You serious, Clark?
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 27th, 2012 at 10:01:53 AM permalink
i am too busy hearing colors to see time...
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 27th, 2012 at 1:09:56 PM permalink
I see the year from a stationary position. Jan is in
front of me and slightly to my left. The other months
are fully visible and unfold to the right and behind
Jan with Dec at the end. If you give me a date I
see it immediately and its relationship to all the
other dates.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
March 27th, 2012 at 7:18:36 PM permalink
Time is a false phenomenon caused by our current inability to perceive reality all at once. Or as Ford Prefect would put it, 'Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.'

Therefore I visualize it as a sheet over the birdcage we live in.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 27th, 2012 at 10:18:06 PM permalink
Worf: There is the Theory of the Moebius, a twist in the fabric of space, where time becomes a loop, from which there is no escape.
Geordi: When we reach that point, whatever happened will happen again.

I prefer the theory that every moment is its own slice. From each decision a split occurs where the opposite reaction happens in its own reality.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 27th, 2012 at 11:07:18 PM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

Worf: There is the Theory of the Moebius, a twist in the fabric of space, where time becomes a loop, from which there is no escape.
Geordi: When we reach that point, whatever happened will happen again.

I prefer the theory that every moment is its own slice. From each decision a split occurs where the opposite reaction happens in its own reality.

Nice, is that from "Cause and Effect?" I am going to look it up on Memory Alpha, but that is my guess.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 27th, 2012 at 11:08:20 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Nice, is that from "Cause and Effect?" I am going to look it up on Memory Alpha, but that is my guess.

Blast, "Time Squared."

aaaaand </TNG Nerd>
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 27th, 2012 at 11:18:39 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Ha I know it from an Orbital song. Man Orbital rocked the house.

Time becomes a loop, Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop,Time becomes a loop
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 28th, 2012 at 12:16:48 AM permalink
And my time is a piece of wax, fallin' on a termite. That's chokin on the splinters
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
March 28th, 2012 at 1:34:06 AM permalink
I've always wondered if others "see" time. I guess my days of the week are visualized pretty much the same as the calendar year. The year is kinda hard to explain. I guess I would compare it to an egg on its side, with the wider side being June-July to the right, and the narrow end being September-October to the left and December connected to January just to the left of middle of the bottom. When I visualize the months, I'm looking at the egg, not really on top of it.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
March 28th, 2012 at 2:28:40 AM permalink
salvia divinorum.
  • Jump to: