pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 8th, 2011 at 11:48:46 PM permalink
Southern Nevada needs a zero-growth policy was a letter to the editor a few days ago in the LVRJ.

The fastest growing counties from 2000 to 2010 (by absolute numbers and not percentages) with Maricopa as the largest growth were:
Maricopa County , Phoenix
Harris County , Houston
Riverside County , Los Angeles
Clark County , Las Vegas
Tarrant County , Dallas/Fort Worth
San Bernardino County , Los Angeles
Bexar County , San Antonio
Los Angeles County , Los Angeles
Collin County , Dallas/Fort Worth
San Diego County , San Diego

The largest decreasing counties from 2000 to 2010 (by absolute numbers and not percentages) with Wayne as the largest decrease were:
St. Louis city , St Louis
Baltimore city , Baltimore
Erie County , Buffalo
San Juan Municipio , San Juan
Hamilton County , Cincinnati
Allegheny County , Pittsburgh
Cuyahoga County , Cleveland
Orleans Parish , New Orleans
Cook County , Chicago
Wayne County , Detroit

Roughly 1 out of 3 counties in this country lost population. Could a new ethic be developing, where Zero Population Growth is considered economically desirable?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 9th, 2011 at 4:07:22 AM permalink
I don't think Clark County has to worry about any shortage of housing today.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
September 9th, 2011 at 5:07:48 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The largest decreasing counties from 2000 to 2010 (by absolute numbers and not percentages) with Wayne as the largest decrease were:
St. Louis city , St Louis
Baltimore city , Baltimore
Erie County , Buffalo
San Juan Municipio , San Juan
Hamilton County , Cincinnati
Allegheny County , Pittsburgh
Cuyahoga County , Cleveland
Orleans Parish , New Orleans
Cook County , Chicago
Wayne County , Detroit

Roughly 1 out of 3 counties in this country lost population. Could a new ethic be developing, where Zero Population Growth is considered economically desirable?

None of those counties is eminently worthy of emulating.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 9th, 2011 at 5:36:20 AM permalink
Zero growth due to water resources? Fountains, golf courses, etc. show misuse of water.
I'm all for limitations on growth and on using public policies to shape the direction and type of growth, but water resources?
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 9th, 2011 at 1:43:32 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Zero growth due to water resources? Fountains, golf courses, etc. show misuse of water.
I'm all for limitations on growth and on using public policies to shape the direction and type of growth, but water resources?

I think this is a good point. The usage of water is far more important than the number of people living in a region. But I was more concerned about the overall sentiment. The widespread idea that the cessation of population growth is desirable.

The largest counties that have little or no growth are Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau, Manhattan, Bergen, and Westchester around New York city. However, they are not shrinking either. Since there is an overall tendency to put fewer people in a household, it keeps pressure up so that large areas are not abandoned.

But maybe Memphis TN, where the county grows by about 8 people a day will become more desirable than Maricopa County (Phoenix) which grew by over 200 people per day in the last decade.

San Diego is considered one of the most desirable cities in the country to live, but the high population increases causes a strong anti-growth sentiment. Long timers are opposed to high density housing, and the push into the desert creates a huge problem when the wildfires start. Texas is pushing into country where wildfires are more rampant. The highways are increasingly chocked.

Mexican growth rates are still higher than the United States with no region completely stagnant or shrinking. An exception would be the Federal District at the heart of the country which is almost completely developed. Really explosive Vegas style growth is in the former territories of Baja (including Baja Sur) and Cancun. Also Queretaro is getting some flight from Mexico City as more and more people move into the middle class.
  • Jump to: